UKC

Car bore: 6 second cars for £4k?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 iksander 10 Mar 2015
Looking for a reliable, quick well handling car. Must have decent headroom and hatch/boot for mutt (5 door ideally, but not a must have) and upwards of 30-35 mpg.

Your suggestions please ladies and gentlemen.
In reply to iksander:

I'm biased because this is what I drive, but you should be able to get a used Subaru Legacy 3.0R Spec B estate for that. Admittedly you'd have to drive very sedately (which you won't) to get that mpg and the vehicle tax is eye watering. Very reliable with cam chain and non turbo. Problems to look for are: corroding alloys, failing Y shaped exhaust part (bloke in Stoke can fabricate one), sticking calipers. 6.5 second 0-60 for a manual, but on greasy / crappy roads the grippy 4wd makes it feel faster.
 jkarran 10 Mar 2015
In reply to iksander:

6 seconds, nimble, roomy, £4k, 30+mpg... This'll be interesting!

330d Touring? Might still be over 4k...
jk
 imkevinmc 10 Mar 2015
In reply to jkarran:
> 6 second cars,

broadens the quest - practically everything
Post edited at 16:15
OP iksander 10 Mar 2015
In reply to Turdus torquatus:

> I'm biased because this is what I drive, but you should be able to get a used Subaru Legacy 3.0R Spec B estate for that.

Funny you should say that... I currently drive a '05 Spec B

Get about 20 MPG out of with winter tyres on

In reply to iksander:
I just picked up an Audi A3 Tdi 140
It's fast handles well nice interior
In sline spec can be had for 4k
Good boot in Sportback guise. Ok its not 6secs but feels quick and with cheap Tax and 60mpgs i'll forgive the 2secs I was originally after a Mk5 Gti Golf don't think I'll ever go back to Petrol
Post edited at 16:37
In reply to iksander:

> Funny you should say that... I currently drive a '05 Spec B

> Get about 20 MPG out of with winter tyres on

I get about 24mpg on Bridgestone Blizzaks
 Tru 10 Mar 2015
In reply to iksander:

Honda Civic Type R 2004-05 model.
£3k
0-60= 6.8 secs
combined mileage = 30, extra urban is 40.

Reliable Japanese car, decent sized hatch back boot and very fun to drive.
 George Fisher 10 Mar 2015
In reply to iksander:

From way out left..

How about a mk2 Golf that somebody has put a 1.8T into.

4k should get you a well converted one that looks standard. Can be reliable if done properly. You'd have to be a VW fan I guess but well into the 6's and fun to drive.

OP iksander 10 Mar 2015
In reply to iksander:

Hmmm thinking Megane R26, bit small and bling but LSD is always nice...
Removed User 10 Mar 2015
In reply to iksander:
> Looking for a reliable, quick well handling car. Must have decent headroom and hatch/boot for mutt (5 door ideally, but not a must have) and upwards of 30-35 mpg.

BMW.

> Looking for a reliable, quick car. Must have decent headroom and hatch/boot for mutt (5 door ideally, but not a must have) and upwards of 30-35 mpg.

What everyone else suggested.
Post edited at 19:20
 Dandan 10 Mar 2015
In reply to iksander:

DC2 Integra Type R? It certainly has reliable (it's a honda), quick (0-60 in 6.2 seconds) and good handling (famously best handling FWD of it's generation) sorted, a quick search on pistonheads shows 3 under £4k and probably a load more you could haggle down.
Oh and it's famous for swallowing enormous loads through it's hatch, forget the dog, you can get a sofa in there apparently.
The only tiny drawback is that it only has 3 doors.
 Mountain Llama 10 Mar 2015
In reply to iksander:

Slightly smaller than legacy, better mpg, better handling, same flat 4 With 4Wd With 5 doors........yes it's a suburb impreza......

I can't claim 30 mpg, more like 27.

1 option is to slow things down a bit and go for an audio A4 1.8T avant?
 butteredfrog 10 Mar 2015
In reply to iksander:

> Hmmm thinking Megane R26, bit small and bling but LSD is always nice...

Did somebody say reliable?
 jezb1 10 Mar 2015
In reply to butteredfrog:

My Alfa 156 GTA (which has never let me down....) meets those criteria but only on long runs. Mid 20's if you're having fun.
Graeme G 10 Mar 2015
In reply to iksander:
Why do you need a second car let alone 6 of them? Is your first car not good enough? Plus 6 cars for £4K means about £700 each, doesn't sound like a sound investment to me.
Post edited at 21:20
 Solaris 10 Mar 2015
In reply to iksander:

Impreza WRX Wagon.

Ours has Prodrive Performance Pack which gives 0-60 of 4.8-ish and improves economy: I got 34 mpg driving back fully laden from Saas via the Forclaz to Cham and then the autoroutes a few years back, and I wasn't hanging round. Very reliable too (had it since new for nearly 10 years).

It might be for sale soon...
 Mostin3 10 Mar 2015
In reply to iksander:

Megane R26!

Just got rid of mine for an Audi a4 avant tdi as its more practical for climbing and I miss it severely.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...