UKC

Easyjet - Dangerous goods

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Lawers99 12 Jul 2015
Has anyone flown Easyjet recently with crampons in their hold lugagge? Off to the Alps in a week and noticed they along with poles, ice axes etc are classified as "Dangerous goods" and are not allowed in carry on or hold luggage.
 Mr Trebus 12 Jul 2015
In reply to Lawers99:
Sorry, re read your post, should be fine in the hold.
Post edited at 12:28
 Cardi 12 Jul 2015
In reply to Lawers99:

http://www.easyjet.com/en/dangerous-goods

It does actually say that axes, crampons and poles are prohibited in hold or cabin baggage! Not had a problem in the last few years or so, but trips to Chamonix could become problematic if they start enforcing this!
 CathS 12 Jul 2015
In reply to Lawers99:
This is surely an error down to poor wording, as elsewhere they list some of the 'Dangerous goods' as Sporting Equipment, that can be carried in your hold baggage http://www.easyjet.com/en/sports-equipment.

I don't think the many thousands of skiers who travel each year with Easyjet would be too impressed if they paid the £60 ski carriage and they didn't then allow you to take poles!

You certainly wouldn't be able to take the items you mention in your cabin baggage, but in the hold it shouldn't be a problem. Easyjet don't check what is in your hold baggage anyway, only whether it complies with their weight and size restrictions. It's the airport security scanners which check the contents, so you just need to ensure you comply with the restrictions imposed by the airport.
Post edited at 13:30
OP Lawers99 12 Jul 2015
In reply to CathS:

Just checked airport (Edinburgh) website, no mention of items being banned, so hopefully all good to go.
aultguish 12 Jul 2015
In reply to Lawers99:

If in doubt:
Phone up your carrier at your departure airport, ask to speak to a supervisor, get their name, ask the question, then confirm conversation and results with an email to the supervisor.

I speak with considerable experience of dealing with airports and staff.

GridNorth 12 Jul 2015
In reply to aultguish:

> I speak with considerable experience of dealing with airports and staff.

But obviously not enough to know that when goods are confiscated it's done by airport security who are not employed by the carrier and in some cases it can be down to individuals. I once got through with a rope, my mate went through another gate and had his rope confiscated. Unfair and grounds for appeal I'm sure but by then you holiday could be ruined.
aultguish 12 Jul 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

Hence a copy of the email. It's what we always advised our passengers and worked every time
 GridNorth 12 Jul 2015
In reply to aultguish:

Personally I'm not convinced and I wouldn't take the chance despite your assurances.
aultguish 12 Jul 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

And that's everyone's choice
 Dave Williams 12 Jul 2015
In reply to Lawers99:

Regularly fly with Easyjet with crampons, ice axe, ice screws and rope in a hold bag and have never had an issue over the past 10+ years (up to now) at any airport, both here and abroad. Neither have any of my friends, flying in or out of different airposts with Easyjet.

As others have said, if in doubt - ask.
 GridNorth 12 Jul 2015
In reply to aultguish:

Apologies. Just reread the thread and realised we are talking about hold baggage not hand baggage which is the usual query.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...