UKC

East Greenland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
brokethebox 25 Sep 2015
Good evening all,

Im totally new here so not sure on tge form but we're aiming to get to Eastern Greenland (scoresbysund) and would love to do some walking. Does anyone here have any experience in that part of the world?

We've done a bit of remote stuff before so can look after ourselves, but really trying to build a picture of whats achievable before we go.

Many thanks,

James
 Purple 25 Sep 2015
In reply to brokethebox:

Not been myself, but there should be some help here;

http://tangent-expeditions.co.uk/
 AlH 25 Sep 2015
In reply to brokethebox:

I've been half a dozen times in spring (ski touring) and summer (mountaineering). You could in theory walk from the airport but Paul at Tangent can also arrange a boat transfer across the fjord to the more interesting coastline of Liverpoolland or further afield. Drop him a line, he'll be keen to answer questions.
brokethebox 25 Sep 2015
hey guys, thanks, we're taking a sailing boat so shouldnt need ferrying, I should have said that first! It means we can work to our own timetable rather than a tour guide or airline.

AlH 26 Sep 2015
In reply to brokethebox:

Aha! In that case the world is your oyster. There are no facilities at the airport up Hurryfjord but a small shop for basic supplies at Ittoqortoormiit. The coastline around Milne Land is fantastic- good landings on the flats at the east end. Beware of sudden wind changes pushing the ice around- Hurryfjord completely filled this summer. The 'Journal of a Greenland Voyage' isn't exactly the lightest reading but gives a lot of information on what can happen to a vessel under sail in this area as well as describing the first exploration of the area by William Scoresby Junior (available on Kindle).
The channel south of Milne land up to Gaase Land had a large vessel under sail exploring it this summer and there appears to be a new settlement - some kind of research station at the mouth of Hjorndalen not marked on the maps (we flew down the valley on our way out this year).
We were in the upper Hjorndalen but arrived by sea plane. Lots of musk ox in the valley.
The Saga maps http://www.greenland-guide.gl/sagamaps/product.htm are quite good.
Although I've personally never seen a bear there in summer the we did pass one unawares in a boat in Hurry fjord (the group behind us saw it) and we've always taken precautions and carried a rifle. Paul Walker can arrange hire if required.
Feel free to pm me if you have more specific questions, its an amazing place.
In reply to brokethebox:

When I last went to that area (almost 10 years ago) you needed a permit from The Danish Polar Centre - that may have changed with Greenland becoming more autonomous. You also most definitely needed a rifle. And if you are near the coast, mosy repellent would be a good idea. It's a fabulous region of the world but it's worth looking into the permit situation.
brokethebox 26 Sep 2015
thanks alan, stephen,

With regards permits I think we're ok unless we wish to head further north than scoresbysund, which on this occasion we're thinking not, although as we're coming across from tromso it may make sense to have them anyway in case our luck is good.

For bears, i'm a mixture of relieved and sad at your news regarding a scarcity of them, although I did kind of already know that they were far less common than, say, svalbard. We will of course have guns, and as the uk laws are difficult we're off to bisley to have a practice with something similar this winter.

Ill have a look at the book you suggest, and im about to start tapping up all my contacts for those whove been to greenland on a sailing boat too!

Rharrison 27 Sep 2015
In reply to brokethebox:

Hi James,
We attempted to sail to scoresbysund in August but were blocked by ice, ended up going to Kangerlussuaq fjord at 68N. We saw bears in the water near scoresbysund and quite fresh pawprints in kangerlussuaq so they're definitely still around! One thing I think would have been useful to find out earlier is the DMI polar view, which gives you access to satellite images of the region and 'ice forecasts', both good for assessing ice conditions without having to wait for the sporadic ice charts. Can't help with walking ideas; Google Earth is your friend.
Have fun,
Rory
 Mark123 27 Sep 2015
In reply to brokethebox:

I really enjoyed Eastern Greenland and would love to get back. Below are links to 2 youtube videos I made of eastern Greenland in April - May 2013, includes Scoresbysund Fjord, Constable Point, Jameson Land mountains, Liverpool Land Mountains, Oxford Glacier. Includes our first ascents in the southern Stauning Alps. Was organised by Tangent.

youtube.com/watch?v=AN6k7ostH9c&
youtube.com/watch?v=4UFp32N_iA8&
brokethebox 27 Sep 2015
In reply to brokethebox:
Rory,

Where are you based? Id love to have a chat at some point!

I spent all this July/aug/sept watching those ice images to get myself an idea for next year, we were
down in Antarctica last year and they made Life so much easier.

Mark, thanks for those links, ill watch them in the morning. Tell me, how do you know if something is a first ascent?

James

Rharrison 28 Sep 2015
In reply to brokethebox:

James,

Will send you an email.
Rory
 Mark123 28 Sep 2015
In reply to brokethebox:

James, Tangent supplied us with aerial photos and maps and also identified and marked out for us the unclimbed peaks in the area. I don't know how to assess whether our peaks were actually unclimbed as marked, but I do trust the Tangent advice and expertise on this topic.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...