UKC

Will 'Santa' be bringing you a drone?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
llechwedd 29 Nov 2015
In the US they're banned in some National Parks. Whereas in Snowdonia, you'll have to fume and bear it -when you're out in the mountains and some git is using one because they neither understand nor care that drones intrude on others experience of the place...

If only there was a warning on drone packaging -of the sort 'a dog is for life..'. Drone owners post their clips on social media. Like Pavlov's Dog, prospective owners, passively viewing the footage, respond with 'Like', further legitimising drone use, and increasing the appetite to buy one of the wretched things. So the selfish consumerist devouring of the mountain experience continues ...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/nov/29/christmas-presents-dro...
In reply to llechwedd:

Drone Jan 1st to Dec 31st ------------------------ All year

Pheasant Oct 1 - Feb 1 Oct 1 - Jan 31
Partridge Sept 1 - Feb 1 Sept 1- Jan 31
Grouse Aug 12 - Dec 10 Aug 12 - Nov 30
Ptarmigan (only found in Scotland) Aug 12 - Dec 10 -
Blackgame Aug 20 - Dec 1 (not currently found in NI)
Common Snipe Aug 12 - Jan 31 Sept 1 - Jan 31
Jack Snipe Protected at all times Sept 1 - Jan 31
Woodcock Oct 1 - Jan 31 Oct 1 - Jan 31
Woodcock Scotland Sept 1 - Jan 31 -
Duck & Goose inland Sept 1 - Jan 31 Sept 1 - Jan 31
Duck & Goose below HWM of ordinary spring tides Sept 1 - Feb 20 Sept 1 - Jan 31
Coot/Moorhen Sept 1 - Jan 31 Protected at all times
Golden Plover Sept 1 - Jan 31 Sept 1 - Jan 31
Curlew Protected at all times
In reply to llechwedd:
> If only there was a warning on drone packaging

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/12022429/Toddler-loses-eye-after-dro...

Sad example when things go wrong. Maybe some tightening up of the use of drones will come soon? I read that some 300 companies and public bodies in the Uk are licensed to use drones and hopefully they have some strict training and good practice in place. As for the many thousands unregistered ones ...
llechwedd 29 Nov 2015
In reply to Name Changed 34:

If only...
 Ridge 29 Nov 2015
In reply to Climbing Pieman:

> /www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/12022429/Toddler-loses-eye-after-drone-propeller-sliced-throu...

That was on BBC Watchdog. Apparently having your numpty mate fly one around your garden in front of your toddler, and then your kid being injured when a flying thing with unprotected whirly blades hits him in the face, is all the government's fault for not pointing out the completely obvious.
 The Lemming 29 Nov 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

I used to own one of the most sophisticated domestic drones for a while. It could do everything and I mean everything apart from deliver weapons. But the computer/software on board was sophisticated enough to do this and was probably the reason the USA stopped the export licence just after I got mine.

However the huge 10 inch blades scared me, as they were almost the size of my dog. I had thoughts of the dog being blitzed to pieces.

Robert Durran 29 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

> I had thoughts of the dog being blitzed to pieces.

Now there's a good use for them; drone strikes on uncontrolled dogs.
 DaveN 29 Nov 2015

For commercial use the pilots do caa coursed snd there are pretty strict rules. But they are beneficial for many things.

For private use, any idiot can purchase one and use pretty much unregulated.
 Dave the Rave 29 Nov 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

Yes. The 'old drone' will be arriving at 1200 on Xmas day and leaving 3 days later
 wbo 29 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:
'Used to have?'
llechwedd 29 Nov 2015
In reply to DaveN:
The Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) has set rules for the use of drones in the UK:

An unmanned aircraft must never be flown beyond the normal unaided "line of sight" of the person operating it - this is generally measured as 500m (1,640ft)horizontally or 400ft (122m) vertically.
An unmanned aircraft fitted with a camera must always be flown at least 50m (164ft) distance away from a person, vehicle, building or structure.
An unmanned aircraft fitted with a camera must not be flown within 150m (492ft) of a congested area or large group of people, such as a sporting event or concert.

Crib Goch seems a popular place for people to use their drone.
It really detracts from enjoyment, when on the ridge, if you become aware of one of them being used - especially when you've got up early to enjoy a clear and windless autumn morning- the sort of soundscape that only such confluences of place and weather produce. Then the feckin drone makes its' presence known...

How do the CAA rules prevent such nuisance, and are they adequate for drone use in such places?

As i understand it, the rules mean that a drone operator wanting ridge footage should not operate the drone from below the ridge, being out of line of sight. If they sit on the end nearest Pen y Pass and fly it along the ridge then, they would have to anticipate that someone may be scrambling unseen at the Pinnacles. Then, they'd have to fly at least 492 feet above them to avoid the issue of congestion.
But the ridge isn't very long, so this clearance of 492 feet would have to be attained almost from the point of take off - and (not adequately addressed by CAA rules) the increased risk of someone falling whilst scrambling and distracted by said drone?
There again, if someone was already on the visible part of the ridge ( or if ascending behind the drone owner), they wouldn't be able to operate the drone, since the ridge could be classified as a congested area ( particularly since it is likely they would not know the capabilities of the other ridge users).
BUT the drone operator shouldn't operate out of line of vertical sight, generally defined as 400 feet in the CAA rules....yet they have to avoid congested areas by 492 feet -vertical or horizontal. Hmmmm...

The National Park should have the balls to ban their use in such environments.

If their use becomes commonplace, I wonder if the Mountain Training courses of the future will have to factor in the added hazard of drone encounters when risk assessing?
Post edited at 14:06
llechwedd 29 Nov 2015
In reply to Dave the Rave:

> Yes. The 'old drone' will be arriving at 1200 on Xmas day and leaving 3 days later

Shouldn't be operating in a congested space...What to do??
 The Lemming 29 Nov 2015
In reply to wbo:

> 'Used to have?'

Yes,

Used to have.

llechwedd 29 Nov 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

> Getting one of these

Bit too tame. I want retribution for spoiling my day
youtube.com/watch?v=2K_Pw8eUmaI&

At 1 min 24 secs it looks like someone beat me to it by downing one into Glaslyn
 The Lemming 29 Nov 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

I am a duplicitous turn coat i want one

DaveN 29 Nov 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

Commercial operators will usually use several people spaced out to give line of site. For crib coach they could space people along it so you could always speak to one of them.

As they need to be licenced and insured for commercial purposes there is a good awareness, at least with guys I've spoken to. So the caa trying is covered due to these requirements.

However, for non commercial individual they won't really fall under this, they'll just take the thing out off the box and their usual approach to other people will take over from there.
 Morgan Woods 30 Nov 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

I'm thinking of getting a drone delivered by drone:

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/nov/29/amazon-unveils-hybrid-del...
Removed User 30 Nov 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

How long do we think before a terrorist bomb is delivered by one of these. I'm sure they are already thinking about it. If and when it happens just watch how quickly they will be banned and the authorities will talk about 'lessons been learnt'. Already somebody tried to deliver mobile phones into a prison and the authorities were worried that it could be handguns next. Only a matter of time.
 d_b 30 Nov 2015
In reply to Removed Userjess13:
You can get a bigger bomb in a van, or a rucsac. As recent events have shown, if you really want to cause damage then you really want to use a gun.

The sort of bomb that can be carried by even a fancy plastic toy isn't really worth worrying about.
Post edited at 23:37
 d_b 30 Nov 2015
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Can you get a drone delivered by a drone delivered by a drone?
 Mark Collins 01 Dec 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

I nearly bought one earlier in the year but then the mrs decided the money would be better spent on something else, but I'd like to think I would use one responsibly. One thought I had would be to get up extremely early and use it then. One, there would be no one around to bother and two, you won't have crowds of people on your footage.
llechwedd 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Mark Collins:

> ...... One thought I had would be to get up extremely early and use it then. One, there would be no one around to bother and two, you won't have crowds of people on your footage.

But you would be pissing off the people who seek out the quieter times of day for the experience of mountains without the 'circus' . From my standpoint, I'd rather drones were used at the busiest times of day, when this aesthetic impact is arguably less.
 Dave the Rave 01 Dec 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

> But you would be pissing off the people who seek out the quieter times of day for the experience of mountains without the 'circus' . From my standpoint, I'd rather drones were used at the busiest times of day, when this aesthetic impact is arguably less.

Have you actually encountered a drone in the hills? Never seen one myself
llechwedd 01 Dec 2015
In reply to Removed Userjess13:

> How long do we think before a terrorist bomb is delivered by one of these. Only a matter of time.

Israel seems to have used drone technology in Gaza against Palestinian civilians so it's very likely something similar has already happened.

llechwedd 01 Dec 2015

Cwm Glas

Don't worry if you've not seen one yet....
Andy Gamisou 01 Dec 2015

> Have you actually encountered a drone in the hills? Never seen one myself

A few days ago someone started one up (unexpectedly) about 20 feet from myself and climbing partner, just as he began the crux sequence of his biggest route to date. He fell off (unsurprisingly). Which was nice of them.
llechwedd 01 Dec 2015
In reply to DaveN:

> Commercial operators will usually use several people spaced out to give line of site. For crib coach they could space people along it so you could always speak to one of them.

So in the case of Crib Goch, if they wish to fly, are they expected to tell anyone approaching/ in the flight line (who would be inconvenienced) that they're flying, and request the scramblers wait until the filming has finished?
I guess they might decide not to fly because they don't want to be seen as monopolising the ridge....

Dave the Rave 01 Dec 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

> But you would be pissing off the people who seek out the quieter times of day for the experience of mountains without the 'circus' . From my standpoint, I'd rather drones were used at the busiest times of day, when this aesthetic impact is arguably less.

Get an anti drone drone, similar to this idea. youtube.com/watch?v=PPIwFRZXUA4&
 Jimbo C 01 Dec 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

If one ever comes within stone lobbing distance of me, it's going to get some.
 Seocan 01 Dec 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

i'd have thought 20 or 30kg would make a fair impact, not that i have any experience of being bombed, but i'd worry about that payload.
 d_b 02 Dec 2015
In reply to Seocan:
i wouldn't. As bombs go it is a comedy payload. You can hurt people with it, but not in a significant manner.

I suggest trying to go through life without being terrified of your own shadow. It is qualitatively better.
Post edited at 22:51
madmonky 02 Dec 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

This all pisses me off something chronic! Being someone who used to build so called "drones" (load of bollocks, they are called multirotors or whichever brand name you have bought circuitry from) and also having taught people to fly them I strongly think that they should have stayed at a level where you had to know what you were doing to be able to have possession of one. Back then you had to design and built it (we are only talking a few years) and therefore you had to know what you were doing to be able to have your hands on one in the first place.
Now companies have cashed in on the idea and made them simple so any old joe can go buy one, having no idea how to fly as well as no knoledge of it or respect for it or others.
As a result of all this they have thought about banning them several times which is rediculous for people using them for both hobbies and professional reasons. I built a few for a company that inspects high voltage power lines and they have proved to be invaluable in the industry with saving time and money. I think manufactorers should be limited rather than limiting owning one.
 Flinticus 03 Dec 2015
In reply to madmonky:

So its OK for the drone elite to fly them but not any old joe? What about increased 'accessibility' to drones so everyone can appreciate the hills from the comfort of the car park or visitor centre?

This smacks of elitism!

timjones 03 Dec 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

National Parks in the UK are full of other gits wandering around and disturbing the tranquility. Use a little imagination and find a less obvious place to walk and you won't be disturbed by drones or other walkers
llechwedd 03 Dec 2015
In reply to timjones:

> National Parks in the UK are full of other gits wandering around and disturbing the tranquility. Use a little imagination and find a less obvious place to walk and you won't be disturbed by drones or other walkers

The 'obvious place' is obvious for a reason....
 timjones 03 Dec 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

> The 'obvious place' is obvious for a reason....

It certainly is, but that is also why you have to think a bit wider if you want tranquility
 Trangia 03 Dec 2015
In reply to llechwedd:
Would it be legal to shoot down a drone with an air rifle on the grounds of "self defence" because you genuinely feared for your safety?

"I was walking along Crib Goch, Your Honour, I was already feeling gripped, the drone was distracting me to the extent that I was on the point of falling off"...........
Post edited at 10:51
 timjones 03 Dec 2015
In reply to Trangia:

> Would it be legal to shoot down a drone with an air rifle on the grounds of "self defence" because you genuinely feared for your safety?

> "I was walking along Crib Goch, Your Honour, I was already feeling gripped, the drone was distracting me to the extent that I was on the point of falling off"...........

If a drone is going to distract you to that degree you shouldn't be on Crib Goch ;(

Would it be legal to shoot down a rescue helicopter if you "feared for your safety"?
Moley 03 Dec 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

They have their uses, a big hill farm is for sale in the valley and a drone was used to do a fly over video of the hills - good marketing for potential buyers and a one off use, I'm fine with that.

Others I would be happy to shoot out of the skies, they are even starting to be used by fishermen (commercial included), a sure way to raise my blood pressure and bring the catapult out when I am enjoying a relaxing day by a lake.
 ashtond6 03 Dec 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

I thought you were talking about the poor innocent Syrians
llechwedd 03 Dec 2015
In reply to timjones:

> It certainly is, but that is also why you have to think a bit wider if you want tranquility

I see you tried to conflate users ( 'other gits wandering around') with drone yahoos.

I do not see why I should degrade my experience of walking in the mountains as I choose, on a route of my choosing not knowingly offending other courteous users of a shared and valued resource.
If I set off to see someone, or something- I can choose to avoid the busy times. Generally, if I meet with others on the mountain at these 'off peak' times, there is a feeling of shared etiquette between us. The environment speaks to us at such times and we respect that. It is not the other way round, much as a drone git would appear to believe.
llechwedd 03 Dec 2015
In reply to timjones:

> If a drone is going to distract you to that degree you shouldn't be on Crib Goch ;(

> Would it be legal to shoot down a rescue helicopter if you "feared for your safety"?

A drone is the same as a rescue helicopter?

llechwedd 03 Dec 2015
In reply to Trangia:

> Would it be legal to shoot down a drone with an air rifle on the grounds of "self defence" because you genuinely feared for your safety?

Apart from the legality issues, I guess you'd only have a range of up to 50 yards with an air rifle, and if the person is monitoring what they're filming, they'll likely see you taking aim and spoil your fun by shifting course.
A smallish rock might be better, or use a catapult...

Trangia 03 Dec 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

>
> A smallish rock might be better, or use a catapult...

I like the catapult idea.......

llechwedd 03 Dec 2015
In reply to Trangia:

> I like the catapult idea.......

For the elastics on it to last you're best off using rounded pebbles. Accuracy improves that way as well.
 Trangia 03 Dec 2015
In reply to Name Changed 34:

> Drone Jan 1st to Dec 31st ------------------------ All year

> Pheasant Oct 1 - Feb 1 Oct 1 - Jan 31

> Partridge Sept 1 - Feb 1 Sept 1- Jan 31

> Grouse Aug 12 - Dec 10 Aug 12 - Nov 30

> Ptarmigan (only found in Scotland) Aug 12 - Dec 10 -

> Blackgame Aug 20 - Dec 1 (not currently found in NI)

> Common Snipe Aug 12 - Jan 31 Sept 1 - Jan 31

> Jack Snipe Protected at all times Sept 1 - Jan 31

> Woodcock Oct 1 - Jan 31 Oct 1 - Jan 31

> Woodcock Scotland Sept 1 - Jan 31 -

> Duck & Goose inland Sept 1 - Jan 31 Sept 1 - Jan 31

> Duck & Goose below HWM of ordinary spring tides Sept 1 - Feb 20 Sept 1 - Jan 31

> Coot/Moorhen Sept 1 - Jan 31 Protected at all times

> Golden Plover Sept 1 - Jan 31 Sept 1 - Jan 31

> Curlew Protected at all times

These dates no doubt revolve around the breeding seasons.

Do drones have a breeding season?
Moley 03 Dec 2015
In reply to Trangia:

> These dates no doubt revolve around the breeding seasons.

> Do drones have a breeding season?

Yes they do, it is just before Christmas so the young fledgling drones leave the nest on the night of December 24th and are with their new owners on the morning (very early morning) of December 25th.

It may be a bumper breeding season this year.
 Seocan 03 Dec 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:
i wouldn't. As bombs go it is a comedy payload. You can hurt people with it, but not in a significant manner.
'I suggest trying to go through life without being terrified of your own shadow. It is qualitatively better.'

thanks dave, who's this addressed to...me? if so, get a grip.
My understanding is a grenade weighs less than a pound, and a land mine typically weighs around a kg. I think plenty bear witness to them not being of comedy value at all.
With that in mind I will put you down as an utter gobshite.
 timjones 03 Dec 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

> A drone is the same as a rescue helicopter?

It's just as likely to distract the inept
 timjones 03 Dec 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

> I see you tried to conflate users ( 'other gits wandering around') with drone yahoos.

> I do not see why I should degrade my experience of walking in the mountains as I choose, on a route of my choosing not knowingly offending other courteous users of a shared and valued resource.

> If I set off to see someone, or something- I can choose to avoid the busy times. Generally, if I meet with others on the mountain at these 'off peak' times, there is a feeling of shared etiquette between us. The environment speaks to us at such times and we respect that. It is not the other way round, much as a drone git would appear to believe.

I do apologise, I was merely following your lead and resorting to random name calling
sputnik3383 15 Dec 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

I wonder how many have been mistaken for clays , they must be good for target practice . just a thought !
sputnik3383 15 Dec 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

I seem to recall not so long ago people where ranting over the use of mobile phones in the mountains and disturbing the peace etc etc . but most people myself included has one with them, in fact ive seen them being used as navigation aids etc etc , no one seems to winge and whine abut them any more, ive not encountered any "drones" as yet and I'm a fairly regular walker, so I don't see them being a major hazard, also the chances are if one came down over the moors it would be difficult to find unless it was highly coloured , so no real issues
In reply to llechwedd:

ski-federation-bans-drones-camera

Wingsuites would come of not to well

http://www.mail.com/int/sports/other/4029664-ski-federation-bans-drones-cam...

crisp 23 Dec 2015
In reply to llechwedd:

I have dropped lots of hints.
 Billhook 23 Dec 2015
In reply to llechwedd:
Catapult is definitely the way to go when you're out and about on the hill. Plenty of free ammo too.

Failing that, then as many discarded remotes from kids cars, planes, and other toys should jam or disrupt the signal enough for it to crash when used within line of site of the drone.
Post edited at 19:42
In reply to llechwedd:

> Israel seems to have used drone technology in Gaza against Palestinian civilians so it's very likely something similar has already happened.

Cheap quadcopters can't lift anything more than 400 grams and typically have a fight time of about 10 minutes.

The predator drones used for air strikes cost >£8,000,000 for a reason.

I don't think you need to worry about quadcopters being used for bomb delivery.
 ChrisNaylor 05 Jan 2016

I'm one of those 300 who have permission to fly... and the training (in my experience) is inline with that which a pilot of a light aircraft would receive theory wise, the practical side less so given that we don't bodily leave the ground. We aren't actually licensed to fly, we hold a permission to fly granted by the UK CAA obtaining this isn't cheap however!

I've been a part of a number of projects in the lakes, my work was featured in 'Supported' which was published on here last month and I'm currently working on one video for a well known outdoor shop together with one for a tourism group. I've never had a negative experience with a member of the public and I think perception and how approachable you are has a lot to do with it, banning their use definitely isn't the answer! You only have to look at the video's featured on here to see that a high number use drones to capture the aerial shots.
 Seocan 08 Jan 2016
In reply to ChrisNaylor:
300, isnt that nearer 1200.
Correction, 1193 as of nov last year, but as was mentioned, those are only the ones that have bothered to train.
Post edited at 19:40
 ChrisNaylor 09 Jan 2016
In reply to Seocan:

Haven't the foggiest, I was referencing a post earlier in the thread but I'll take your word for it
 Lewison 02 Feb 2016
In reply to llechwedd:

It's all very well posters complaining about the noise of a drone, but then the rescue helicopter makes a fair old racket which spreads over several miles, are you going to complain about that as well ? You get inconsiderate people on the mountain or in the street, you cannot stop people from being inconsiderate so banning a flying video camera seems rather petty. My brother is disabled and the only chance he gets to see any mountains is via my gopro footage. That may be strapped to my chest or carried on a pole but if I had the space in my rucksack I would carry a drone to get that extra 'airy' viewpoint. I go into the mountains to enjoy the view, the sounds are incidental, as in last Saturday when it wa blowing a hooley and all I could hear was wind noise anyway, except I might add for the rescue helicopter on Garnedd Ugain. There are far more bigger problems in this world than worrying about a bit of noise pollution.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...