UKC

"Normal" Haute route vs Bernese Oberland haute route

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 phja 02 Jan 2016
Anyone done either (or both)? Which one did you prefer?
In reply to phja:

Hi there
I asked a guide this very question today!
She said the Haute has more mixed terrain - on and off glaciers, including rocky ridges etc
The Oberland covers more miles but it more consistent glacier 'plodding'
Hope this helps!
In reply to phja:

I've not done the Bernese one but I've done The Haute Route a couple of times on skis - it would be hard to beat - every day is interesting. However, the huts are very busy now so booking in advance is essential. Most of them have showers now though which is an improvement on when I first did it thirty years ago!
 galpinos 28 Jan 2016
In reply to phja:
I have only done the Bernese Oberland Haute Route. The huts were near empty and we only saw other people on one of the days. It was ace.

Edit - I'm assuming you meant skiing...
Post edited at 16:20
 Carless 28 Jan 2016
In reply to phja:

If you have the time and conditions I'd recommend the Purist Haute Route which avoids the road section by going via Grand Lui, La Fouly and the Gt St Bernard hospice
Great trip and less people than the 2 normal versions esp Verbier version
It's only really busy for the last day Vignettes to Zermatt

Not done the Bernese Oberland version
 Doug 28 Jan 2016
In reply to phja:

Ski or walking ? I've done the classic haute route & attempted a tour from Kandersteg to Les Diablerets (we gave up about half way due to very bad weather), both on ski. I've also skied on a different trip around Konkordia. The scenery is in general much more impressive on the Chamonix-Zermatt but the Oberland was quieter & in some ways more of an adventure.
 Trangia 28 Jan 2016
In reply to phja:

There are two Chamonix-Saas Fee haute routes. The main (original) is high level done usually early spring on skis and crosses glaciers, some peaks and passes. I have done this one and it's superb but you need to be comfortable off piste in glaciated crevassed terrain and carrying a fairly heavy pack. Some of the passes are steep requiring crampons and carrying your skis. The climax is from Zermatt to Saas Fee with the option of taking in Monte Rosa en route (the final ridge to the summit of Dufourspitz is a mountaineering ridge - you leave your skis on the col).

The other, which is a summer, route tends to be lower but still crosses some glaciers, passes and peaks. This is more of an Alpine walking mountaineering route. I haven't done it though a couple of my mates did it in 2014.

I haven't done the Bernese Oberland route
 JuneBob 29 Jan 2016
In reply to phja:

I've only skied the haute route, I went via pantalon blanc refuge instead of prafleuri; much nicer descent instead of the slog along lac des dix. You have to feed yourself though.
 jcw 31 Jan 2016
In reply to phja:

Presume you are talking about on ski.
I do not know what is meant by the Bernese haute route. But I have done a fantastic crossing from Les Diablerets to the Grimsel Pass with three 4000ers and including a very interesting section Kandersteg Kiental to Lauterbrunnen.
I've also done the High Route Chamonix to Sass Fee the proper way by the Plateau du Couloir. Desperately crowded. The former beats the latter into a cocked hat. If you are interested in details of the Oberland route I can supply.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...