UKC

Shovelling snow is dangerous

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Trangia 24 Jan 2016
Even for fit young men.

Why?

See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-30119410

It can be incredibly tiring. I hadn't considered the effect of breathing in very cold air when exerting yourself.

I wonder if a similar scenario could affect ice climbers?
 yeti 24 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

oh no I'm 55, I'm done for

or mebbe I'll just carry on pacing myself

I guess that's what most people don't do

DaveHK 24 Jan 2016
In reply to yeti:

> I guess that's what most people don't do

The evidence suggests that that's exactly what most people do do.

yeti 24 Jan 2016
In reply to DaveHK:

I don't quite understand your reply,

I was meaning that most people shovel so rarely they don't think to set a steady pace

though i have only shovelled snow in Sheffield and erm in Norway in may at 700 metres in full sun in a t shirt
 DaveHK 24 Jan 2016
In reply to yeti:

You said most people don't pace themselves but the overwhelming majority of people don't have any issues.
llechwedd 24 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:
Perhaps what they need is one of those 'Heave away!' type songs to pace the job out.

If they ain't got rhythm though, when they cark it, the beat goes on...

Chest compressions in CPR are now often taught to the song 'Nelly the Elephant'
Post edited at 11:13
 Joak 24 Jan 2016
In reply to llechwedd:

> Perhaps what they need is one of those 'Heave away!' type songs to pace the job out.

>
During a long abseil descent when ice climbing in Norway, Mick Tighe and ma mate were belting oot an old sea shanty in perfect unison at the top of their voices as they pulled down the ropes. One of those rare, priceless moments in time
Lusk 24 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

> Even for fit young men.

> Why?

Not strictly true:
"His team found that when healthy young men shovelled snow, their heart rate and blood pressure increased more than when they exercised on a treadmill."

More probable it's this lot keeling over:
"People at greatest risk are those who are habitually sedentary with known or suspected coronary disease, who go out once a year to clear snow," he says, adding that smoking and being overweight drastically increase the risk. "
No shit Sherlock!!!
 Shani 24 Jan 2016
In reply to Lusk:

This!

Coach potatoes suddenly find life demands they exert themselves with high intensity. Unprepared for it, they die. Also, remember survivorship bias; although these stories make the news, most men, women and children shovel snow without any issue bar eventual fatigue.
llechwedd 24 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

> I wonder if a similar scenario could affect ice climbers?

Where's Dorothy Grace Elder when you need her?...

From my experience, a fair number of 'sedentaries' have patterns of movement where they hinge ( flex and extend) from the low back, with the lower limbs contributing the minimum of effort.
In terms of snow shovelling, this would tend to result in them staying flexed in the trunk, with any straightening up still keeping them flexed at the trunk, just less so.
The diaphragm doesn't work too well like this, so you'd tend to recruit your shoulder girdles to help with the increased effort of breathing - this is a very energy demanding form of breathing and also the volume of breath would be smaller because the abdominal contents are squishing the bottom of your lungs in this situation. Not only that, but the shoulder girdle muscles would already be doing shovelling work.

By contrast, unless you're having an epic, in climbing you'll be spending a lot more time with a relatively vertically aligned trunk, and the lower limbs contributing massively to working against the forces of gravity.

Brass Nipples 24 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

It's ok, many practise by shovelling shit the rest of the year and so are extremely well adapted for doing the same with snow.
 jcw 24 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

So is gardening
 doz 25 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

I have taken heed and henceforth will always take a snowblower with me when climbing
 Jim Fraser 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Only shovel snow with a hangover. That way you will have lost your appetite, forgotten where you put your fags and just taken an aspirin. Sorted.
Removed User 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

As a regular snow shoveller (although this year has been a little lighter) in temperatures often below -20 I find the exercise quite exhilerating. That said, I don't fit the "sedentary" model and regularly exercise up to a heart rate of 170 bpm.

Cold hands and hot aches are often more of a ball breaker and I'll be happy to point out to my missus the aged 55 rule (which i will hit in 3 yrs time) so that I can sit back and watch out the window with a nice warm brew in hand.
 Jim Fraser 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Removed User:

> ... and I'll be happy to point out to my missus the aged 55 rule (which i will hit in 3 yrs time) so that I can sit back and watch out the window with a nice warm brew in hand.

Liking your style young man.

FactorXXX 26 Jan 2016
In reply to llechwedd:

Chest compressions in CPR are now often taught to the song 'Nelly the Elephant'

Not the Toy Dolls version I assume: youtube.com/watch?v=Rh_Jgo5cjX4&
 Alan Breck 26 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Bought a proper snow blower a few years ago as I got fed up with continually clearing the drive. There was a slight problem with it & I got a full refund when it got sent back. Just as well really as I don't think that I've needed to clear the drive in years. Must remember my age though & I think that I'll invest in one of these: youtube.com/watch?v=UyTJlyKKOQI&
 pebbles 27 Jan 2016
In reply to Joak:

> belting oot an old sea shanty in perfect unison at the top of their voices as they pulled down the ropes.

I'm with them there. this is my favourite rope hauling song for pulling the rope down. can only ever remember the first verse though

youtube.com/watch?v=8AeKimjRIn0&
Jim C 27 Jan 2016
In reply to Trangia:

> Even for fit young men.
> Why?
> See http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-magazine-monitor-30119410
> It can be incredibly tiring. I hadn't considered the effect of breathing in very cold air when exerting yourself.

> I wonder if a similar scenario could affect ice climbers?

I think Dave Macleod posted a video of his Ben Nevis project that was covered in snow , and he cleared it as part of his training/warm up for the climb. Not a problem for him.
 Sealwife 27 Jan 2016
In reply to llechwedd:

I was taught chest compressions to the tune of "Another One Bites the Dust" with the proviso that it might not be the best idea to sing it out loud.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...