UKC

Ryan Air

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iusedtoclimb 30 Sep 2016
looking at a flight to Barcelona and the cheapest is Ryan Air. Will only be me in all likelihood

Never flown with them and when you go into the booking there are additional extras

What happens if you don't reserve a seat?
What happens if you don't pay for priority boarding?
Do you have to pay for cabin luggage - wasn't sure if this was included?

Cheers
 Alyson 30 Sep 2016
In reply to iusedtoclimb:

> What happens if you don't pay for priority boarding?

Best example I've seen of this is where people who paid for priority boarding got let onto the shuttle first, but because of the location of the shuttle doors they actually got onto the plane pretty much last! So 'not a lot' would be my answer.
 Hat Dude 30 Sep 2016

> What happens if you don't reserve a seat?
Not a problem if you're going for less than a week as you can print out your return boarding pass before you go
If going for more than a week you can get a virtual boarding pass on a smartphone via the Ryanair app

You wait in a different bit of queue and get on a bit later

> Do you have to pay for cabin luggage - wasn't sure if this was included?
No hold luggage included, this is extra

It's all there on their website you just have to hunt a bit for it.

Don't get hung up on the extra charges, just view these as part of the price you will be paying for the level of service you require. The advertised prices are just the hook to get you in there; a bit naughty but it ain't the end of the world.
I've always gone into it with my eyes open & found flying with them to be ok.

> Cheers

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 30 Sep 2016

> looking at a flight to Barcelona and the cheapest is Ryan Air. Will only be me in all likelihood

Is it deffo going to Barcelona and not Girona?

> Never flown with them and when you go into the booking there are additional extras

You sit where you like - not exit rows, or front three rows.

You board after the people who do - often there aren't many of them. And you can't print your boarding pass until a week before departure.

You don't pay for cabin baggage but ensure it is within the size/weights quoted or it may have to go in the hold at your expense,

Chris

Stu Tyrrell 30 Sep 2016
Does it fly into Barcelona, or the other airport Gerona?
 Jenny C 30 Sep 2016

For some reason last time we flew I did have priority boarding on my ticket, this just allowed me to queue jump and board first so handy if you want an exit seat or to guarantee you can sit with friends. No experience of reserving a seat, but I assume this is another way of ensuring you can sit together.

Normally Ryan Air operate like a bus so first on gets first choice of where to sit, I have seen this cause problems when late boarders can't sit together as a family then expect others to swap places for them - however allegedly it actually results in a quicker boarding time than the standard allocated seating arrangements you would get with a scheduled flight.

TBH can't see why you would pay for both and unless it's a long haul flight or you have kids (and even them probably not if 1child per adult) I would save my money.

No charge for cabin baggage (and no weight restriction) either but that may have changed now as it was a few years since I last flew with them.

TBH though I was fairly impressed as the seating was more roomy on than on some charter flights - would definitely choose them over Monarch for cabin comfort.
 ianstevens 30 Sep 2016

You probably won't get to sit next to the people you go with (assuming you are travelling in a group)

You get to spend less time cramped up in metal tube and more time watching a queue of morons who paid £10 to get into their allocated, uncomfortable seats whilst you sup your beer near the gate.

It's normally included

> Cheers

Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 30 Sep 2016

Sherri has just corrected me - nowadays they allocate you a set when you check-in, one week before you go,

Chris

one thing...Make sure you check in online as early as possible with ryan air, last time we used them we decided to check in at the airport as we did not have reliable internet to do so online.

We reached the check-in desk (after half an hour of queuing) to find we were 5 min late to check in and had to pay about £80 for a late check-in fee. Apparently Ryan air require you to check in 2 hours before your flight or you have to basically re-buy your seat, at the moment only Ryan air operate this policy.

Other than that ryan air have been fine, priority boarding maybe saves you 10/15 min of queuing to get on the plane so likely not worth it. And cabin luggage has always been included (some people take a LOT of cabin luggage, they seem quite relaxed about that)
 Hat Dude 30 Sep 2016

Forgot to put in my original message that cabin baggage is free, you're allowed 10kg & dimensions are given somewhere on their website. If the plane is full they may put some peoples hand luggage in the hold but not charge for it.

One thing worth noting is that unlike some other budget airlines you are allowed to take another small bag e.g. handbag/manbag; again the sizes are on their site

GrahamD 30 Sep 2016
In reply to Jenny C:

> Normally Ryan Air operate like a bus so first on gets first choice of where to sit, I have seen this cause problems when late boarders can't sit together as a family then expect others to swap places for them - however allegedly it actually results in a quicker boarding time than the standard allocated seating arrangements you would get with a scheduled flight.

I don't think they do now. I think all seats are allocated, but if you don't reserve where you sit is randomly selected. The main pain in this case is that you can't pre-print your return ticket if you are away for a week.
 goatee 30 Sep 2016

Ryanair are great. Cheap flights and they have pretty good timekeeping. Just obey the rules and you will have no problems. You can check in for free one week before departure. You will then be allocated a seat. Don't bother with priority boarding as all this does is make you wait for longer on the plane. Sit and relax in departure and go to the gate near the end. Less hassle. 10kg baggage and can be strict about this. Remember to book your return flight one week before you come back. They actually serve decent coffee on board now as well. Much snobbish hype has been spouted about them but as I say they get you there on time and pretty cheaply if you stick to the plan. Enjoy
 cas smerdon 01 Oct 2016
In reply to GrahamD:

> I don't think they do now. I think all seats are allocated, but if you don't reserve where you sit is randomly selected. The main pain in this case is that you can't pre-print your return ticket if you are away for a week.

If you have app on a smartphone you don't need to print boarding pass. Just check in online 7 days before return and you get a QR code to book in with. This makes life a lot easier than finding an internet cafe with a printer for your return boarding pass.
 MG 01 Oct 2016

This thread has reinforced my decision never to fly Ryanair again!
Post edited at 15:59
 mike123 01 Oct 2016
In reply to Chris Craggs:

> You don't pay for cabin baggage but ensure it is within the size/weights quoted or it may have to go in the hold at your expense,
Make sure you check this VERY carefully , I seem to Recal that the ryan air dimensions for carry on bags are weridly disimilar to virtually all other airlines , so people who have used the same bag for lots of flight can be looking very puzzled that it won't fit in that frame they have to check . As has been said the other cheappies have some degree of flexibility with most of their rules , not so ryan air .
 Oceanrower 01 Oct 2016
In reply to MG:

> This thread has reinforced my decision never to fly Ryanair again!

I thought they were coming out of it pretty well myself.
 Postmanpat 01 Oct 2016
In reply to paul_the_northerner:

> Other than that ryan air have been fine,
>
"Apart from that, how did you enjoy the show , Mrs. Lincoln?"
 MG 01 Oct 2016
In reply to Oceanrower:

See the post before yours. Loads of arbitrary, ever changing rules all deliberately different to other airlines and as awkward as possible designed just to catch you out. Not a company in want to get tangled up with.
 Robert Durran 01 Oct 2016
In reply to MG:

> Not a company I want to get tangled up with

So don't then - just read and follow the simple rules. It is the people who fail to do so who help subsidise cheap flights for the rest of us. I've flown with Ryanair many times over the years without any issues.

MG 01 Oct 2016
In reply to Robert Durran:

I don't. But the rules aren't simple, they are deliberately confusing and contrived to trip people up, which is what I object to.
 Duncan Bourne 01 Oct 2016

I am not a huge fan of Ryanir but sometimes they are the only cheap flight going where I want to go to when I want to go so......

Priority board - yes it may or may not get you onto the plane quicker. But if you have hold luggage you get priority on baggage check with that too, as I recall, which can mean less standing around in the baggage que at the start.

seat reservation - if you suffer from back trouble then booking a seat with extra leg room can be the difference between having a great holiday or spending it bent double in agony (I speak from experience here). Ryanir seats are very cramped.

Other than that, as others have said, check their website, check all the add ons, check all the rules (and follow them to the letter). Check out other companies for airport parking, car hire etc. they may come out cheaper
 Robert Durran 01 Oct 2016
In reply to MG:

> But the rules aren't simple, they are deliberately confusing.

I really don't think so. You go through the online booking process paying for what you need in the way of baggage etc. You make sure your luggage isn't overweight or oversize. You check in online. Is all that really so complicated or confusing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...