UKC

I hate this particular Christmas song...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 06 Dec 2016
The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl singing Fairytale of New York.

What Christmas tune will you have to be subjected to while out and about this festive period?
In reply to The Lemming:

then you've got cloth ears and no soul, lemming....

not just the best christmas song, by a country mile, but one of the best songs...

planetmarshall 06 Dec 2016
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

> not just the best christmas song....

Like a competition for the prettiest turd.

Toccata 06 Dec 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I thought I'd escaped Christmas music this year until I noticed it in the bike shop. Upon enquiring as the why on Earth they were playing it I was informed that the staff felt it made people less likely to ask for discounts.

No discount was offered on my two 26" tubes...
 Ams1101 06 Dec 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

When I worked in retail, in the days before Christmas, I would swap out the Christmas CD for The Beatles hits. I noticed all the Christmas shoppers in a good mood would bop along. Same feel good, almost Christmass-y, feeling but less painful. Also, you haven't hated Christmas songs properly until you've worked in retail in December.
 Hat Dude 06 Dec 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

In my teens I had a Saturday job in a local supermarket; in the run up to Christmas they had one Christmas album, "Twelve Songs of Christmas" by Jim Reeves which was played on repeat all day. It still makes me shudder to think of it.
 toad 06 Dec 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I think I'm with you on this. It's been sold as the only christmas song it's ok to like, but it's a really bleak song about mutual abuse with no redemption or light at the end. Fine as far as that goes, I've got lots of Roger Waters , but it's not on my christmas playlist.

Ok, Slade aren't there either, but Greg Lake and Wizzard are, and so is Kate Bush

especially this video, which I may have posted here before, but I think is silly and uplifting and ace.
Teenagers making the most of a fragment of snow on an anonymous estate somewhere

vimeo.com/33483126

PS Greg Lake has to be the full fat orchestral version, not the one from Works Vol2

youtube.com/watch?v=Lqwqknq7nuI&
 Fraser 06 Dec 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> What Christmas tune will you have to be subjected to while out and about this festive period?

The same one! I pretty much loathe it too.

d_b 06 Dec 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Slade.
 plyometrics 06 Dec 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Not a big fan of it either.

Have to admit to being partial to a bit of 'Driving home for Christmas'...
In reply to toad:

> I think I'm with you on this. It's been sold as the only christmas song it's ok to like, but it's a really bleak song about mutual abuse with no redemption or light at the end.

well, yes, but those lyrics...

"I could have been someone"

"Well so could anyone"

and the way they are delivered- hairs rising on the back of my neck recalling it, and i've heard it dozens of time. it tells a truth about the world in the way that good art does- and that's what i think this is. the fact that its wrapped in shiny christmas paper makes the contrast and emotional depth of the song that bit greater- a masterpiece

but in keeping with Lemming's spirit, my nomination for christmas songs i just don't like would be the one by McCartney- smug, loaded with cliches, and devoid of any real emotion, or point.

toad 06 Dec 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Someone in The Guardian was arguing that Mistletoe and Wine is the best christmas song and y'know I think it just might be.....

No. Wait. It isn't.
 Nevis-the-cat 06 Dec 2016
In reply to toad:

Santa Rap from Beat Street...

01:40 if you get bored of the 80's cheese - the night club scene is about as convincing as the crowd scene on Jossy's Giants

youtube.com/watch?v=tT5noclsXS4&
 gavmac 06 Dec 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Of all the Christmas songs to hate and you pick that? What is wrong with you man!

Last Christmas- Wham. That is a loathsome tune if ever I heard one.
In reply to The Lemming:

i hope to god i don't have to hear the version of it at number one in this list though. unutterably, soul-suckingly grim beyond description...

http://louderthanwar.com/the-10-worst-cover-versions-of-all-time/
 toad 06 Dec 2016
In reply to gavmac:

> Of all the Christmas songs to hate and you pick that? What is wrong with you man!

> Last Christmas- Wham. That is a loathsome tune if ever I heard one.

yes, but the video was filmed on the Saas Fee lift, and I've been on that!
 The New NickB 06 Dec 2016
In reply to toad:

> Someone in The Guardian was arguing that Mistletoe and Wine is the best christmas song and y'know I think it just might be.....

I see a lot of critisism of the Guardian on the forums, but that is probably the most damning!
 LastBoyScout 06 Dec 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Little St Nick - Beach Boys.

Whatever the one was by Jackson 5

Mariah Carey

Michael Bublé
 Anti-faff 06 Dec 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

McCartney.

Awful.
cb294 06 Dec 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I hate ALL christmas pop songs.

Can´t wait until November(ish), though, when it becomes OK again to put on the Christmas Oratory or the Messiah.....

CB
 bouldery bits 06 Dec 2016
In reply to plyometrics:

> Not a big fan of it either.

> Have to admit to being partial to a bit of 'Driving home for Christmas'...

+1

So good.
 Yanis Nayu 06 Dec 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

I love it!
 Hooo 06 Dec 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl singing Fairytale of New York.

The only one I like! It's one of the few Xmas pop songs that actually has some artistic merit, and isn't just cheap schmaltz.

> What Christmas tune will you have to be subjected to while out and about this festive period?

I loathe them all, at this time of year I have to put headphones in when entering a shop. But, the worst of all are the Slade and Wizard ones. I live in hope that those guys will be exposed as paedos, so I never have to hear those songs again.
 gavmac 06 Dec 2016
In reply to Hooo:

Had me laughing at the last sentence. Quality!
 bouldery bits 06 Dec 2016
In reply to Hooo:
That's true.
You rarely hear Gary Glitter's Christmas record these days.
Post edited at 20:21
 woppo 06 Dec 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Up there has to be 'all i want for christmas is a hippopotamus' shirley temple - nearly as catchy as 'Easy street' darryl's sleep deprivation song on The Walking Dead
OP The Lemming 06 Dec 2016
In reply to bouldery bits:

> That's true.

> You rarely hear Gary Glitter's Christmas record these days.

Don't you go shattering one of my childhood dreams with such noncsence.
 graeme jackson 06 Dec 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

> The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl singing Fairytale of New York.

At last, Someone with some taste. unutterable shite. I'd rather listen to mull of Kintyre. At least Linda McVeggieburger was worth a look.
In reply to The Lemming:

A few years back, you were grumbling because TOTP2 played the airwaves-approved version of that song.

T.
 Dell 06 Dec 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

If anyone has heard that new Sainbury's christmas song by James C*rd*n, you have my sympathies.
 d_b 06 Dec 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

How do you feel about Steel Panther?

youtube.com/watch?v=LMQgzc3tw1c&
 Pekkie 08 Dec 2016
In reply to plyometrics:

> Have to admit to being partial to a bit of 'Driving home for Christmas'...

Oh the disillusionment as a smoggie on first hearing this from the composer of Steel River and Stainsby Girls...

aln 08 Dec 2016
In reply to davidbeynon:

A bit tame for the mighty Panther...
 d_b 09 Dec 2016
In reply to aln:

The curse of christmas music.
 RockAngel 09 Dec 2016
In reply to The Lemming:

Pretty much all of them! Hate them all. Wham, slade, wizard, Poges, live aid, Cliff Richard. Same CD playing in every single bloody shop.

Bah humbug

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...