UKC

Stopped by Police - Car/van insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 cousin nick 24 Dec 2016
OK, here is the scenario:
On the way back from Keswick to Ulverston with the missus in my white Berlingo van at just after midnight. We'd been on the hills, then had a meal before going to the cinema, hence the late finish.
Just outside of Haverthwaite on the A590 we pass a police car in a layby. This traffic car immediately pulls out, blue lights on and stops me.
Usual questions - is it my van etc., then I'm asked to sit in the back of the police car and answer further questions because the vehicle is uninsured!
In fact the van IS insured, MOT'd and everything is tip-top.
Meanwhile policeman No.2 is looking over the van with SWMBO and wants to have a look in the back. All we have is muddy boots and a couple of rucksacks.
Story from policeman no.1 now changes - vehicle IS insured for SWMBO for business use! In reality, it most definitely is not! The van is insured for ME for business use, and for both of us on Social, Domestic and PLeasure use, missus is NOT covered for business use. Any way, I am given a 'producer' form to take docs to Ulverston police station and told that SWMBO must drive us home.
During the drive we discussed what had happened and it transpired from SWMBO's conversation with officer no.2 that there had been a spate of rural thefts. We're in a white van, late at night, far from home (Cornwall), so basically they wanted to search the van.
Why not say so? Why not stop and breathalyse me? I have no problem with being stopped, but I do not like being stopped by police for false circumsatnces.
At my age I'm sufficiently mature to realise that instigating an argument with plod late at night by the roadside is not likely to be beneficial, so I did as I was told.
Produced documents next day at the station and the desk sergeant commented "I don't know why they stopped you, everything is in order".
I now ensure that I carry copies of all documents with me.
Anyone else experienced similar?
In reply to cousin nick:

oh yes lots of times - enough to fill a book [I have totally clean record and uk license]
things a lot better now its all on Computer,

plod's tends to go for old cars /vans, Sad that after over 100 years of policing and despite a push from the top, they have not come to tums with the fact that, sadly crime pays, and the crims are driving around in new cars.
They still lookout for Males with short hair, dark clothing and boots!

? whats swmbo?

Rick Graham 24 Dec 2016
In reply to Name Changed 34:

> oh yes lots of times - enough to fill a book [I have totally clean record and uk license]

> things a lot better now its all on Computer,

> plod's tends to go for old cars /vans, Sad that after over 100 years of policing and despite a push from the top, they have not come to tums with the fact that, sadly crime pays, and the crims are driving around in new cars.

> They still lookout for Males with short hair, dark clothing and boots!

Have a like.

> ? whats swmbo?

You must be either unmarried or female

Rick Graham 24 Dec 2016

> they have not come to tums with the fact that, sadly crime pays, and the crims are driving around in new cars.

Only the smarter, harder to catch ones, so maybe easier to go after van drivers.
Rigid Raider 24 Dec 2016
In reply to cousin nick:

There are plenty of thieves driving around the coutryside late at light looking for opportunities. I'm amazed that you got stopped; there are probably only a dozen Police on duty in the entire county of Cumbria on any night and half of them will be tied up on permanent duties like guarding prisoners in hospital.
 Ridge 24 Dec 2016
In reply to Rick Graham:
To be fair vans are used a lot, especially for bike thefts and poaching around rural Cumbria. I'm surprised they didn't do the old walk round the back, bang on the tail light and say"your tail light was out, but seems ok now..." opening gambit..
Post edited at 13:04
 skog 24 Dec 2016

> ? whats swmbo?

Single White Male with Body Odour?
 deepsoup 24 Dec 2016
> ? whats swmbo?

"She Who Must Be Obeyed"

Best known as Horace Rumpole's (the eponymous "Rumpole of the Bailey") term of affection for his beloved Hilda, it's a reference to the all-powerful Queen Ayesha from the victorian novel "She" by H. Rider Haggard: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/She_(novel)
 toad 24 Dec 2016
In reply to Rigid Raider:

I thought Cumbria coppers were mostly in make-up ready for their turn of Stop! It's the Old Bill! Showing now on channel 5, channel 5+1, Dave, spike, quest, pick, and UKTV food
 Trangia 24 Dec 2016
In reply to cousin nick:

Sorry lost the thread when I got to SWMBO.

Who or what on earth is that?
 Brass Nipples 24 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:
> Sorry lost the thread when I got to SWMBO.

> Who or what on earth is that?

Read the replies and all will be revealed
Post edited at 15:59
 marsbar 24 Dec 2016
In reply to Trangia:

Wife
 Ratfeeder 24 Dec 2016
In reply to cousin nick:

Haven't experienced anything quite like that (yet), but if I did I think I'd be quite annoyed about it. Throwing bogus accusations at people from the outset is bound to cause unnecessary stress and anxiety. They ought to presume innocence until evidence is found to the contrary, and only then to treat someone like a suspect.

If their concern was about rural theft, they could have just said "Sorry to have stopped you sir, but there have been a number of thefts in the area recently; would you mind if we took a look in your van?" You'd object to that only if you had something to hide. But to use such underhanded tactics as you describe will just undermine your trust in the ability of the police to get their facts right and give you the feeling that there's something deeply wrong with the whole system. And I don't understand why you were asked to produce your documents at a station when it's all on computer. It seems to me like an abuse of authority. You have my sympathy.
OP cousin nick 24 Dec 2016
In reply to Ratfeeder:

Yes, they claimed roadside that a PNC check showed I was uninsured (but this later changed to the incorrect claim that only my wife was insured for business use!!). Difficult to challenge them when your documents are a few miles away.
What really pissed me off was that the need to take documents to the station (only open 1000-1300) meant that our next day on the hill (our last day 'up north') was compromised.
Definitely abuse of authority, however well intentioned.
 Brass Nipples 24 Dec 2016
In reply to cousin nick:

You have 7 days yo present and it can be any police station.

Hooo 24 Dec 2016
In reply to cousin nick:

As others have said, I suspect this behaviour is all a pretense to search you. The trouble is that they police are not allowed to carry out a random stop and search, there has to be a reason for it. So, they manufacture a reason, and unfortunately have to follow through with it by making you produce your documents.
I had this all the time when I was young and riding motorbikes. Loads of stops for trivial stuff that they never followed through, just so they could go through my pockets. A couple of mates summed it up though:
M - "Bloody pigs, just because we have long hair and leathers and ride bikes, they think we take drugs"
A - "But M, we do!"
 Chris Harris 24 Dec 2016
In reply to cousin nick:

Happened to a mate. Pulled out of pub car park & set off up the road. Plod followed him.

After half a mile, plod gave him a quick flash of the blue lights & he pulled over.

Asked plod why.

Plod replied that he thought one of his brake lights wasn't working.

Mate pointed out the following:

1. You just watched me stop from just a few yards behind, surely you can tell fairly definitively whether or not my brake lights came on, particularly as they were the one element of my car that was apparently occupying your attention.

2. I've been watching you in my rear mirror since I set off, and I can say with absolute confidence that the first time I touched my brakes was AFTER you gave it the blues, so you decided to pull me on the grounds of an iffy brake light before you had even had a chance to assess the performance of said lights.

Plod just wanted to breathalyse him, unfortunately he'd clearly skipped the "Making up a credible excuse" class.....

off-duty 25 Dec 2016
In reply to cousin nick:

Alternatively the details recorded on the PNC have been incorrectly entered by your insurance company.
 Rick Graham 25 Dec 2016
In reply to off-duty:

> Alternatively the details recorded on the PNC have been incorrectly entered by your insurance company.

Can they be done for that?
 off-duty 25 Dec 2016
In reply to Rick Graham:

Not sure. Possibly for some sort of data protection type offence. Usually errors (in favour or against the insured) are due to changes in insurance payments eg- stopped or restarted
OP cousin nick 25 Dec 2016
In reply to cousin nick:

All data on PNC was correct, as verified at Ulverston police station less than 12 hours after I was stopped. I am completely convinced that the reason given for stopping me was entirely fabricated. They wanted to look in the back of my van.
 Cheese Monkey 25 Dec 2016
In reply to cousin nick:

Police vary from utter shady tw*ts, to genuine nice people. Sounds like you got the shady end of the stick. Did a few jobs on nights down in rural Somerset a few years ago and got stopped twice about 4am on two different weeks. They were honest and upfront that there had been a spate of thefts from farms so could they look in the back quick to make sure I wasn't one, No big deal. If they had fabricated something as an excuse I would not have been impressed.

I once got stopped 3 times in half an hour in S Wales. The officers I met started on the beginning of my scale and ended firmly on the end of it. The bad ones let the good ones down, massively.
Jim C 26 Dec 2016
In reply to Chris Harris:

This scenario reminded me that the New Tail lights are no longer just 'working' or not. ( 'out')
The LED clusters may have some failed bulbs, but how many failed LEDs , constitute a tail light being 'out' these days I have no idea, it is no longer that clear cut .
 Big Ger 26 Dec 2016
In reply to cousin nick:

No one else has, so I may as well;

youtube.com/watch?v=GNIMuvbiZcc&
 Kimono 26 Dec 2016
In reply to Big Ger:
'Police officer, no give me producer'

off-duty 26 Dec 2016
In reply to cousin nick:

> All data on PNC was correct, as verified at Ulverston police station less than 12 hours after I was stopped. I am completely convinced that the reason given for stopping me was entirely fabricated. They wanted to look in the back of my van.

I'm not sure why you think that having no insurance gives them any more right to search your van.

Nowadays producers are very rarely given. The details are all on the PNC or insurance databases. the only reason to give a producer is when those details aren't on, are incorrect, or are unclear.
 Jim 1003 29 Dec 2016
In reply to cousin nick:
> OK, here is the scenario:

> On the way back from Keswick to Ulverston with the missus in my white Berlingo van at just after midnight. We'd been on the hills, then had a meal before going to the cinema, hence the late finish.

> Just outside of Haverthwaite on the A590 we pass a police car in a layby. This traffic car immediately pulls out, blue lights on and stops me.

> Usual questions - is it my van etc., then I'm asked to sit in the back of the police car and answer further questions because the vehicle is uninsured!

> In fact the van IS insured, MOT'd and everything is tip-top.

> Meanwhile policeman No.2 is looking over the van with SWMBO and wants to have a look in the back. All we have is muddy boots and a couple of rucksacks.

> Story from policeman no.1 now changes - vehicle IS insured for SWMBO for business use! In reality, it most definitely is not! The van is insured for ME for business use, and for both of us on Social, Domestic and PLeasure use, missus is NOT covered for business use. Any way, I am given a 'producer' form to take docs to Ulverston police station and told that SWMBO must drive us home.

> During the drive we discussed what had happened and it transpired from SWMBO's conversation with officer no.2 that there had been a spate of rural thefts. We're in a white van, late at night, far from home (Cornwall), so basically they wanted to search the van.

> Why not say so? Why not stop and breathalyse me? I have no problem with being stopped, but I do not like being stopped by police for false circumsatnces.

> At my age I'm sufficiently mature to realise that instigating an argument with plod late at night by the roadside is not likely to be beneficial, so I did as I was told.

> Produced documents next day at the station and the desk sergeant commented "I don't know why they stopped you, everything is in order".

> I now ensure that I carry copies of all documents with me.

> Anyone else experienced similar?

A few factual errors with this story which could be best summarised as grumpy git gets stopped by police and puts bollocks on the internet about it. Generally, grumpy gits also say things like why don't the police do something about rural thefts.

Hort1 forms are producers which can be taken to any police station as opposed to a named one as you say.
Ulverston has not had a desk sergeant for over 20 years, they went out with Dixon of Dock Green, probably where you got the idea from.
Driving documents are generally dealt with by civilians at police stations nowadays.
If the police thought your vehicle was uninsured they would have seized it, you would not have been allowed to continue in it.
MOT details, insurance, and excise licence details are all on computer now along with owner details.
The police do not need a reason to stop anyone, the police can stop any vehicle to check who is driving and their driving licence. Thank to grumpy gits, there is an annoying amount of paperwork attached to stopping and searching a vehicle for stolen goods, it's much easier to stop the vehicle for a quick driver check, no paperwork.

Goodness what happened other than a quick stop check, but your story certainly doesn't add up....
Post edited at 10:44
In reply to Jim 1003:

> The police do not need a reason to stop anyone,

I have no need or wish to be pejorative, but for my own clear understanding would you comet on the following.
Is this only in respect of road traffic, as apposed to pedestrians?
& My understanding was that, a reason was needed for a traffic stop, moreover, this should be divulged at the time if requested?
I know and take your point on what the stated reason my be, and that depending on this the paper work may increase.
However, I also, from experience I have found it to be a poor show to see the police start on the back foot. AKA
''you have been stooped for the manner in witch you were driving''.
Followed with, after all is in order, and a mutual understanding reached .
'' we just wanted a look in the back, good night''
But this is how scum is court, and I like to see it court!

Deepsoup
SWMBA
Thanks for that info good job I did not ask R,lass
happy new year
 d_b 02 Jan 2017
In reply to Chris Harris:

Plod just wanted to breathalyse him, unfortunately he'd clearly skipped the "Making up a credible excuse" class.....

When I got stopped on a summer evening after an afternoon climbing at Barmouth they told me straight that they were stopping me for a breath test because there were 4 blokes in a car and it was a match day.

Seemed fair enough, no bullshit excuses required.
 Jim Fraser 03 Jan 2017
In reply to cousin nick:
Here's a scenario for you. Young woman stopped by police regularly in her home town for no reason. We are talking hardly a fortnight goes by. She's a stickler for the details and all the admin is always in order.

On one occasion, they cannot find anything wrong but backup arrives. So now there are four coppers in two cars picking on an innocent young woman in broad daylight near a busy town centre and obstructing access to a busy car park. They keep at it until eventually they manage to find an excuse to issue a ticket for a loose battery. A what?

Changes her car. Never stopped again.
Post edited at 19:59
 RobOggie 04 Jan 2017
In reply to Jim Fraser:

I've had similar experiences to that. My first car had a bit of a 'boy racer' image with it, which was a pain as just about every officer seemed to think he could find something to pick with it (however I was always very careful to keep it legal). Then I got a Mercedes estate when I started making a decent wage and spent much of the time regretting it. Despite me always being taxed, MOT'd and insured it seemed that my age mixed with a 'premium German car' and driving (home from work or from crags and walls) in the evening or late on triggered the police perception that I was a drug dealer and I was endlessly pulled over.
Changed cars to something rather unremarkable and I've not been pulled over since...
J1234 04 Jan 2017
In reply to cousin nick:

> Anyone else experienced similar?

Not many coloured people* on UKC, but I bet they have.

* if you think that is the incorrect term this week, just f*ck off
 Jim 1003 05 Jan 2017
In reply to Jim Fraser:

More bollocks...
 pebbles 05 Jan 2017
In reply to Jim 1003:

sorry Jim but....I was once pulled over for no apparent reason whatsoever. I was a bit puzzled and asked why, and if they thought I was driving erratically or if there was some sort of problem with the car. I was told none of those, they had just seen me drive away from the pub and assumed on that basis alone that I might have had a drink . As this was a country pub serving food, and i had just had a cola, the local police force was going to be kept very busy if they stopped every car leaving a pub on a sunday evening just in case the driver had been drinking....
this did actually happen, regardless of what paperwork and approved procedures may say, and I dont expect it will have been the first or last time.
 John Ww 05 Jan 2017
In reply to pebbles:

Yep, I had exactly the same thing - his exact words were " Good evening Sir, I've just seen you walk out of the pub, have you had a drink?". No pretence about the reason for stopping me whatsoever.

JW
 pebbles 05 Jan 2017
In reply to John Ww:

"why, is it your round, Officer?"
Bellie 05 Jan 2017
In reply to pebbles:

Given that the police can stop your vehicle for 'any reason' then the thought that you may have left the pub having consumed alcohol is reason enough. So I'd see that as apparent - despite it being a bit inconvenient for you.

Given that on enough occasions - people have driven home from a pub and killed people whilst driving, it is something I would be happy to accept if I was pulled over shortly after leaving.

The New NickB 05 Jan 2017
In reply to pebbles:

I was also once pulled over for driving out of a pub car park at closing time. Policeman gave that as a reason, asked me a few questions and was happy with my answers and sent me on my way. I was a little concerned it would be a load of hassle, as I had only bought the car a few days earlier I was a bit worried that the system had not caught up with the paperwork.

I have not real problem being pulled over in these circumstances and long as it isn't all the time, which only happening once, it hasn't been.
 John Ww 05 Jan 2017
In reply to pebbles:

If I'd been quick enough, my response would have been "well, if you're having one..."

JW
 marsbar 05 Jan 2017
In reply to Lenin:

It's not the correct term, and you know it, so why post it.
 MonkeyPuzzle 05 Jan 2017
In reply to marsbar:

But he's just so rebellious and devil-may-care, etc.
 MG 05 Jan 2017
In reply to marsbar:

I would imagine because "correct" (says who?) changes on a regular basis, apparently just to trip people up so they can be screamed at for being outrageously racist. This is basically bullying because generally they are nothing of the sort and just aren't aware for the current approved phrase.

Notice, for example, how LGBTQXYZ keeps getting more letters?
 muppetfilter 05 Jan 2017
In reply to pebbles:

My Brothers Ex was in a low speed shunt about ten years ago , the officer sat her in the back of his car and asked

"Have you had a drink?"

"No.... but I would love a cup of tea"
 marsbar 05 Jan 2017
In reply to MG:

I have no issues whatsoever with older people for example using the word coloured because it was the polite description in their day. I wouldn't call them racist for it. Nor am I calling Lenin racist, but I will call him provocative and attention seeking.
 marsbar 05 Jan 2017
In reply to muppetfilter:

Seems reasonable. Did he get any tea? The only time I have been asked by the police was when my car was upside down. Fair enough question.
 Timmd 05 Jan 2017
In reply to MG:
> I would imagine because "correct" (says who?) changes on a regular basis, apparently just to trip people up so they can be screamed at for being outrageously racist. This is basically bullying because generally they are nothing of the sort and just aren't aware for the current approved phrase.

> Notice, for example, how LGBTQXYZ keeps getting more letters?

Do you really think it's to trip people up?
Post edited at 18:26
 FactorXXX 05 Jan 2017
In reply to marsbar:

Seems reasonable. Did he get any tea? The only time I have been asked by the police was when my car was upside down. Fair enough question.

Been no point in getting you a cuppa as you would have only ended up staining the roof lining.
 MG 05 Jan 2017
In reply to Timmd:

> Do you really think it's to trip people up?

Yes, in the sense some people want to look holier-than-thou, and feel superior. Insisting on people of colour over coloured people serves no purpose but this, for example. They have the same meaning, although "of colour" is grammatically clumsy. Coloured stickers vs stickers of colour!?
 FactorXXX 05 Jan 2017
In reply to cousin nick:

Could have been worse, you could have been stopped in Huddersfield...
 Timmd 05 Jan 2017
In reply to MG:

I was more talking about the adding of 'Q' for questioning (I had to google it), which is being questioned by some as being a good move.

A friend of a friend in rural Yorkshire used to use the word picaninny until my friend pulled her up on it, in talking about it being something of an slur.

I guess it's the intent which is important in the end.
In reply to MG:

> Notice, for example, how LGBTQXYZ keeps getting more letters?

Come on MG, keep up, it's LGBTQFFS now.
 nufkin 05 Jan 2017
In reply to MG:

> Insisting on people of colour over coloured people

I suspect most of the people who use the latter phrase tend to do it a way that suggests the 'coloured people' are somehow separate, without stopping to consider that perhaps 'the coloureds' might not care to be referred to in a way that suggests 'us' and 'them'
 pebbles 06 Jan 2017
In reply to Bellie:

its not trivial. it causes stress to the blameless person pulled over. Given that I was minding my own business, by their own admission driving blamelessly, there was no problem with my vehicle and I had drunk only coca cola like a model citizen I was actually pretty pissed off about it. Think about it. Lots of people go to the pub for a meal, or to meet friends, or just have a coffee. There is not a zero blood alcohol driving level in this country so even if I had a pint it would not have been illegal. And if I had just left my own house or a friends, I might also have "had a drink" So no more justification for this than for a random street stop and search. So I suspect they were simply bored or low on their target that period.
Bellie 06 Jan 2017
In reply to pebbles:

Who said trivial?

I've been pulled over a few times, on each occasion the policeman has been polite, calm and all it cost me was five minutes of my time. I waste much more than that each day on these forums.

I can't say I have been stressed at any time during the process, but to be fair to others who have posted, I haven't been given lame reasons for a stop - which would be the only reason to get steamed up a bit.

So as I do think about it, those who haven't had a drink, get thanked and go on their way. No big deal in my book. But if on their 'random' stops they do stop someone who has had too much and could potentially cause a death - then thats fine by me.

pebbles 06 Jan 2017
In reply to Bellie:

nope. not fine by me. the 'just in case' argument is being used to justify so many intrusions into our lives, whether its random stops or monitoring emails, with "if you've done nothing wrong you've nothing to fear" as the argument in favour.
Bellie 06 Jan 2017
In reply to pebbles:

Tenuous link alert.

THE.WALRUS 06 Jan 2017
In reply to cousin nick:

> OK, here is the scenario:

Here's an alternative story-

The police officers who are out trying to pull drink drivers, in order to prevent people getting killed in road accidents, and thieves, to stop people's stuff getting nicked, get so sick of all the hot-air that pulling innocent members of the public causes that they stop doing it.

The drink drivers get a green light to run you over on their way back from the pub and the thieves get the go ahead to pinch your car every time you park up in a lay by.

This causes even more hot air.

The end.
 pebbles 06 Jan 2017
In reply to Bellie:

we will have to differ on this

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...