UKC

Even the grey man feels the need to speak out

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 john arran 27 Feb 2017
When even John Major is exasperated at Tory unrealistic expectations, surely people need to start engaging their brains beyond 'wishful thinking' mode:

"I have watched with growing concern as the British people have been led to expect a future that seems to be unreal and over-optimistic," he said.
"Obstacles are brushed aside as of no consequence, whilst opportunities are inflated beyond any reasonable expectation of delivery."

As quoted in BBC online article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39109408
 Rob Exile Ward 27 Feb 2017
In reply to john arran:

He has always been so much better as a critic than he was as a PM.

'John Major - so boring he ran way from the circus to become an accountant.'
 bouldery bits 27 Feb 2017
In reply to john arran:

He's just worried that the price of peas will go up.
baron 27 Feb 2017
In reply to john arran:
He wasn't describing the Maastricht Treaty, was he?
 Shani 27 Feb 2017
In reply to john arran:

I don't understand what we are expecting to get from Brexit. The two most prominent claims are busted flushes; the £350m a week for the NHS was simply fabricated, whilt Amber Rudd said yesterday that Brexit would "end freedom of movement as we know it" in Europe, but that her party were "against cliff edges" on immigration - ie the immigration numbers will not change for some (unspecified) time.
 wercat 27 Feb 2017
In reply to Shani:
deportations, though not for us - the audience for which this is being done
Post edited at 21:46
 Timmd 27 Feb 2017
In reply to baron:
> He wasn't describing the Maastricht Treaty, was he?

When there's Norwegian and Swiss people wondering why we'd want to Brexit (given their experience of trading with the EU as none members), and economists predicting a squeeze in living standards following it, doesn't it make you wonder?

The picture being painted by pro Brexit is that there's all these opportunities lining up for us as soon as we leave, with Britain as an international nation (in outlook) able to seize them and prosper, but Norway and Sweden are international countries too? Brexiters seem to be saying everything's going to be better for leaving.
Post edited at 22:20
 Big Ger 27 Feb 2017
In reply to john arran:

Are we going to get a new thread every time some has been disagrees with Brexit?

Just wondering....
 pec 27 Feb 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> Are we going to get a new thread every time some has been disagrees with Brexit?Just wondering.... >

Oh no, the skies falling in said Chicken Licken to Turkey Lurkey etc
 George Ormerod 28 Feb 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

I hope so, to offset the delusional fantasy of Brexit.

Anyway, you carry on. It's like watching a slow motion car crash; luckily from Canada (and by the way, forget any free trade deal from that quarter - the government is too preoccupied with preserving NAFTA with Trump in power, then it'll be the election. So maybe in 5 years time the 5-10 year negotiating process can start).

The New NickB 28 Feb 2017
In reply to Big Ger:

> Are we going to get a new thread every time some has been disagrees with Brexit?Just wondering....

Odd that you should take issue with someone starting a thread about the lead item on the evening news.
baron 28 Feb 2017
In reply to Timmd: Leaving the EU is not going to be easy. It will probably come at a financial and social cost.
Unless the majority of leave voters are delusional, as some have suggested, then choosing to leave shows the depth of feeling against the status quo, of which the EU is a major part.
Politicians like Mr Major failed to recognise how unhappy may people are and in doing so enabled the leave vote to happen.

MonkeyPuzzle 28 Feb 2017
In reply to baron:

> then choosing to leave shows the depth of feeling against the status quo, of which the EU is a major part.

And yet we'll almost certainly return a Conservative government in 2020, probably with an increased majority. Stories on the radio this morning: failing hospitals; failing prisons; failing social care; and yet further cuts of up to 6% across most government departments before the next election, but they'll still get in. Yeah, we really like to sock it to the man, don't we?

jkarran 28 Feb 2017
In reply to baron:

> Leaving the EU is not going to be easy. It will probably come at a financial and social cost.Unless the majority of leave voters are delusional, as some have suggested, then choosing to leave shows the depth of feeling against the status quo, of which the EU is a major part.Politicians like Mr Major failed to recognise how unhappy may people are and in doing so enabled the leave vote to happen.

Strength of feeling is fine but in this case you've lashed out blindly against one of the improving factors on your despised status quo. From here there will be change and it will be for the worse. Turkeys cheering for Christmas.
jk

Big Ger 28 Feb 2017
In reply to The New NickB:
> Odd that you should take issue with someone starting a thread about the lead item on the evening news.

Well, it's not like we don't have a few other Brexit threads it could have been added to, rather than opening a new one.

Here's a few where the term has cropped up...

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/search.php?forum=0&dates=0&name=&top...
https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/info/search.php?forum=0&dates=1&name=&top...
Post edited at 09:07
In reply to George Ormerod:
> I hope so, to offset the delusional fantasy of Brexit. Anyway, you carry on. It's like watching a slow motion car crash and we're chained to the road, with Theresa May at the steering wheel

Fixed that for ya!
Post edited at 09:08
 GrahamD 28 Feb 2017
In reply to john arran:

Spitting Image certainly did a good one on Major didn't it ?
 Rob Parsons 28 Feb 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

> Spitting Image certainly did a good one on Major didn't it ?

Major did a pretty good one on himself. 'Cones Hotline', anybody?
 Offwidth 28 Feb 2017
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Was that the code word to his private line to Edwina?
 bouldery bits 28 Feb 2017
In reply to Rob Parsons:

> Major did a pretty good one on himself. 'Cones Hotline', anybody?

I just googled this as I wasn't aware of it (being only 27). That's amazing.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cones_Hotline
 Rob Exile Ward 28 Feb 2017
In reply to bouldery bits:

I think you're forgetting .... toilets on the M40! Churchill, you met your match.
baron 28 Feb 2017
In reply to MonkeyPuzzle:
The next election result will probably be a reflection on the state of the Labour Party and the first past the post system rather than a ringing endorsement of the Conservatives
OP john arran 28 Feb 2017
In reply to john arran:

Apparently Boris Johnson said the outcome of Brexit would be “fantastic”.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/28/come-off-it-sunshine-boris...

fantastic
adjective
imaginative or fanciful; remote from reality.

For once I find myself agreeing with Boris. Given his remain tendencies, I wonder if he chose that word carefully with that in mind ?
pasbury 28 Feb 2017
In reply to john arran:

I can't take anything he says seriously. He's is the biggest bullshitter ever to have to risen to a position of power in our government.
In reply to pasbury:

> He's is the biggest bullshitter ever to have to risen to a position of power in our government.

Unless, of course, he's talking about Saudis.
latisha 01 Mar 2017
In reply to john arran:

His views on brexit is not surprising anymore since, he was in favor on brexit.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...