UKC

NEWS: Open Letter from the IFSC Athletes' Commission

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 11 Apr 2017
free streaming, 6 kbThe last few days have been dramatic - never before has the climbing community been so vocal and united in opposition to a decision involving our sport.

The IFSC rightly states that it values good governance and transparency, and that its athletes are included in decision making processes at all...

Read more
 Durbs 11 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Fark - that's about as big a **** you as the athletes could manage.
Excellent!
In reply to UKC News:

"We have asked the athletes to withdraw cooperation with the livestream media until changes are made."

A very bold move from them - well done!
 alx 11 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Well done!
 johncook 11 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Great response from those who are dedicating everything they have to further the sport. They are not super-rich footballers etc, but ordinary climbers trying to do their best and keep our sport alive and interesting and sometimes ending up out of pocket in the attempt. They get my full support.
 Justin Reid 12 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC News:

IFSC Exec Board meeting now, should be a statement soon. Here's hoping they come up with a favourable solution.

"The Monthly Meeting of the IFSC Executive Board takes place today at 14:00 GMT+2, and among the topics to be discussed is the IFSC live streaming strategy.
Please visit the IFSC website at 15:00 for an official statement. A press release will follow tomorrow."
http://www.ifsc-climbing.org/index.php/news/item/917-monthly-executive-boar...
 MeMeMe 12 Apr 2017
In reply to Justin Reid:

They've decided it's going to stay free (I think) -

http://www.ifsc-climbing.org/index.php/news/item/918-ifsc-official-statemen...
 pebbles 12 Apr 2017
In reply to MeMeMe:
well done all the athletes
Post edited at 14:12
 Ian W 12 Apr 2017
In reply to Justin Reid:

Very clear and concise statement out from IFSC.

"It was made a mistake and we apologize for that.

The live streaming for IFSC will remain free of charge, the same as it was at the 1st World Cup in Meiringen, Switzerland and in previous years.

The deal - despite having been announced - has not been signed and thus has not been concluded.

Any possible future variation of this policy will be discussed inside the IFSC and subject to the approval of our key stakeholders.

Let's keep climbing together."

Lemony 12 Apr 2017
In reply to pebbles:

...and well done to the IFSC for having the guts to wear this one and be honest about it. It's not easy to admit you screwed up.
 Niall 12 Apr 2017
In reply to Ian W:

> Very clear and concise statement out from IFSC."It was made a mistake and we apologize for that.The live streaming for IFSC will remain free of charge, the same as it was at the 1st World Cup in Meiringen, Switzerland and in previous years.The deal - despite having been announced - has not been signed and thus has not been concluded.Any possible future variation of this policy will be discussed inside the IFSC and subject to the approval of our key stakeholders.Let's keep climbing together."

I demand a Motion of No Confidence. Who's with me? Doesn't matter, I'll put 30 of your names on it anyway.
 Justin Reid 12 Apr 2017
In reply to Ian W:

> The deal... has not been signed

made me laugh, their announcement last Wednesday lead with "The IFSC has signed a 3-year deal"

Ian W 12 Apr 2017
In reply to Justin Reid:

Indeed. Strange choice of words. As it turns out, no great harm done, but if they had been tied in for 3 years........

Si_G 12 Apr 2017
In reply to pebbles:
From reading Shauna Coxsey's statement, sponsorship is linked to viewing for some climbers, so the paywall affected them financially as well as morally/ politically.
Post edited at 16:57
 john arran 12 Apr 2017
In reply to Justin Reid:

It could well have been that the deal was indeed signed, but after the furore had made it clear that neither party was going to be happy with it, the two sides agreed to tear up the contract and agree the story that it had never been signed in the first place. Best face-saving outcome in the circumstances.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...