UKC

PRESS RELEASE: EDELRID become the exclusive gear sponsor of Tommy Caldwell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 18 Apr 2017
Edelrid logo square, 2 kbAmerican climber Tommy Caldwell, famous for completing the first ever free climb of El Capitan's Dawn Wall, has selected EDELRID as his exclusive gear sponsor.

Read more
 Durbs 18 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

Hurrah for Tommy

Those photos look so natural...

Aside from Edelrid, are there any other manufacturers who offer the full-range of equipment; shoes, rope, harness, belay, bouldering mats?
None I can think off
 jimtitt 18 Apr 2017
In reply to Durbs:

Edelrid don´ t make any trad gear.
 Durbs 18 Apr 2017
In reply to jimtitt:

True, but they do make quickdraws I think?

More than any other climbing brand anyway.
 jimtitt 18 Apr 2017
In reply to Durbs:

All the major companies have a gap in their product lines, Salewa/Wild Country make just about everything but rock boots and ropes, BD sell ropes made by someone else and don´ t make rock boots but nearly everything else, Petzl the same.
 Chris_Mellor 18 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

It's fine for the sponsored climber, maybe, in terms of free gear, but jeez I hate the very idea of sponsorship. Do people actually buy stuff because some celeb is paid to endorse it? Hey Tommy, did you buy (Huh? Buy? What do you mean? I was given it) tha`t rope/whatever, out of your own cash in a free choice? FFS why do people give sponsoring firms the time of day at all? They think we are mugs and will buy their shit because they pay some arse with a name to say it's good shit. Yeah, really.
 Robert Durran 18 Apr 2017
In reply to Chris_Mellor:

> Do people actually buy stuff because some celeb is paid to endorse it?

The only bit of rock climbing gear that makes a real difference to performance is boots, so I suspect that some people might be swayed by that. But, of course, that's also why the sponsored heros only wear the boots they're paid wear when they go back for the photoshoot......... allegedly.
 Wft 18 Apr 2017
In reply to UKC Gear:

In related news; Have Rab dropped Caff from their sponsorship roster?
 Michael Gordon 19 Apr 2017

It's about getting the name out there and in the public (climbing) consciousness. You may have heard of Edelrid but others may not have, or alternatively, someone may see a photo of something being worn/used and think 'that looks like a good bit of kit' and it will be in their memory for when they need to replace something.

If you never bought anything from a firm which used sponsorship, well, you would often struggle to buy anything at all!
 alx 19 Apr 2017
In reply to Wood for Trees:

I think a number of the welsh climbing scene were dropped however this seems to be the norm for pro climbers, move from one sponsor to the next.
Removed User 19 Apr 2017

> Do people actually buy stuff because some celeb is paid to endorse it?

Do you not?
 Derry 19 Apr 2017

> It's fine for the sponsored climber, maybe, in terms of free gear, but jeez I hate the very idea of sponsorship. Do people actually buy stuff because some celeb is paid to endorse it? Hey Tommy, did you buy (Huh? Buy? What do you mean? I was given it) tha`t rope/whatever, out of your own cash in a free choice? FFS why do people give sponsoring firms the time of day at all? They think we are mugs and will buy their shit because they pay some arse with a name to say it's good shit. Yeah, really.

I'm pretty sure there's a higher horse on another forum if you wanted to get on that one.
 Andy Say 19 Apr 2017
In reply to Durbs:

> Hurrah for Tommy Those photos look so natural...Aside from Edelrid, are there any other manufacturers who offer the full-range of equipment; shoes, rope, harness, belay, bouldering mats?None I can think off

Salewa. Plus clothing.
 HeMa 19 Apr 2017
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> It's about getting the name out there and in the public (climbing) consciousness. You may have heard of Edelrid but others may not have...

Yup, and AFAIK Edelrid is not that well know in US (but available), so good on Edelrid for scoring a really high profile climber that is world know (especially so, in the US).
 Ramblin dave 19 Apr 2017
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> It's about getting the name out there and in the public (climbing) consciousness.

Yep. I doubt that many people think that they should buy Yokohama tyres because "Chelsea use them so they must be good", but just getting the brand name on the shirts in front of umpteen million pairs of eyes every week is worth £40m a year to them.
In reply to UKC Gear:

So is this the end of the TC Pro?
 yodadave 01 May 2017
In reply to purplemonkeyelephant:

> So is this the end of the TC Pro?

Thats the million dollar question. I still have no idea why its not a more popular shoe in the UK.
Its a muira on steriods!

I'm gonna go ahead and order some just in case.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...