UKC

Somerset or S Wales with novices

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Reach>Talent 22 May 2017
I'd agreed to take out a couple of total novices who wanted to give climbing a try, I am fine with the technical aspects of not killing or terrifying them but I am a bit stuck for a destination:
The wishlist is close enough to Swindon for a day trip, single pitch, really easy routes and ideally an easy walk off. Good solid belays are a must (Had a horrid evening hauling someone up a route after they had a full blown meltdown a few years ago and want to be able to escape the system and scarper to the pub if it happens again).

I was thinking of Symmonds Yat but was wondering if there were any better alternatives I had missed? I haven't visited any of the inland crags in the South Wales Rockfax so would be keen if any of them fit the bill.
 The Ivanator 22 May 2017
In reply to Reach>Talent:
Gower may be outside the day trip range, but Three Cliffs Bay is an ideal starter venue, if all goes well (and tides allow) finish the day by ambling across the sands and doing East Ridge (S 4a) on Great Tor (a great multi pitch).
Closer to you you might find enough amenable bolted lines at No match for crag id:3658 to have a good day out. Wyndcliff Quarry also now has a fair range of lines in the easier grades, the secret slab area at the far right of the upper tier would be a good place to start.
OP Reach>Talent 22 May 2017
In reply to The Ivanator:

Thanks, Wyndcliffe Quarry is a good thought as there is more easy stuff there than I had remembered.
 jimmccall 23 May 2017
Sand Point in Somerset, just north of Weston Super may fit the bill... just to offer an alternative.
Jim
 The Ivanator 23 May 2017
In reply to jimmccall:

Yep, there are plenty of short easy Trad routes at Sand Point especially Middle Hope (West Buttress), simple walk off access, but tidal window is only 4-6 hours.
If I was trying to sell climbing to a novice I'd be tempted to drive a little further for Three Cliffs Bay it is such an idyllic spot, thinking back to my early climbing experiences I think the aesthetics of the venue were pretty important to me. It took me longer to begin to appreciate climbs for the quality of the moves alone.
 alan moore 23 May 2017
I took many novices up th Central Bay routes at Wintours Leap. Short pitches, tree belays, big ledges and many walk-off options to easier ground...
OP Reach>Talent 23 May 2017
In reply to alan moore:

Hi Alan, I have done similar in the past but in this case I'll have 2 total novices and one competent but non-leading climber in addition to myself and 4 on a rope can be a bit of a pain (and a trifle anti-social!)
Good suggestion though for a smaller number.
 Anoetic 23 May 2017

Or if real novices even box bay at porthcawl may fit the bill.
 petegunn 23 May 2017

Are you based in Swindon?
How about Castle Rock, Gloucestershire
Went years ago and set up some top ropes for a mate's younger brother.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...