UKC

Portaledges on Gimmer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greasy Prusiks 21 Jun 2017
In reply to Full moon addict:

That's an amazing photo.
 Mark Eddy 21 Jun 2017

Fantastic
 Billhook 21 Jun 2017

Amazing thing to do in the Lakes, or indeed many other Uk venues!
 Sean Kelly 21 Jun 2017

Not sure what camera/lens used here but it looks like poor processing. The background is too light and overexposed and the dark areas are too pixilated and compressed. There was potential for a really great photo here, by getting in close with a extreme W/A lens so foreground and background are sharp.
In reply to Sean Kelly:

Looks like a fairly lifelike representation of atmospheric haze to me, not over-exposed. And I'm not sure about 'getting in close with a W/A lens'. Usually, the opposite of a wide angle lens is used to 'get in close' from a distance... But I'm sure you meant get physically close with a wide angle lens, didn't you...?
 Ron Kenyon 21 Jun 2017

Love it !!
In reply to Sean Kelly:

On getting back home, I discovered that I had some issues with the focussing. not sure why but I think I may need to calibrate the lens (nikon 24-120) on the camera which is a nikon d750. it was on a tripod but the detail on the climbers was quite poor which explains the pixelation. I actually like the natural haze and the lack of focus on the background. I did try making the background less hazy but I preferred the hazy effect.
 Michael Hood 22 Jun 2017
In reply to Full moon addict: I'm surprised nobody has complained that they wanted to do a headtorch ascent of D Route (or Whit's End, etc.) and that the portaledges totally fouled up their climbing plans

That would be inline with the response to the planned filming on Commando Ridge @Bosigran.

But back to the original subject, looks quite surreal for the UK, must have given some fantastic views and a unique experience - or are there now plans to see which UK crags/routes can be happily portaledged. Should a list of suggestions be started?

Here's one - Cromlech, but left wall or right?
 Mark Collins 22 Jun 2017

Nice one

See they dispensed with the Cliff Cabana spreader bar, can't say I blame them. Difficult to retreat from anywhere with a dislocated shoulder I imagine. There is a non-strenuous way to assemble though (30:20):
youtube.com/watch?v=Vt3yFl7_2KQ&
 timjones 22 Jun 2017
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> Not sure what camera/lens used here but it looks like poor processing. The background is too light and overexposed and the dark areas are too pixilated and compressed. There was potential for a really great photo here, by getting in close with a extreme W/A lens so foreground and background are sharp.

As a mere viewer rather than a camera geek I think it's a great photo
 Sean Kelly 22 Jun 2017
 Bulls Crack 23 Jun 2017

No need to justify - great photo!

And I think there is oo much much haze elimination in photo's - it's often just how it is.
 Karl Bromelow 24 Jun 2017

I have to say that I much prefer Full moon addicts shot to Sean's (which appears to be out of focus or is it my eyes?) though I don't doubt Sean's impressive knowledge and greatly admire many of his other shots.

I too have no problem with photos showing it how it is sometimes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...