UKC

Unexpected mountain panoramas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Greenbanks 31 Aug 2017
Driving back from North Wales the other day I scooted along the A470 through Llanwrst. I had to stop the car a number of times as I was struck by the fabulous (and, for me, new) vista of Snowdon, Tryfan, The Glyders & the rest from that road. I didn't have a camera with me unfortunately, so I couldn't capture what was a totally unexpected and grand view from an unfamiliar vantage point.

Any others spring to mind?
 Hat Dude 31 Aug 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

Even better is the view from the B5427 between Nebo & Llanwrst
pasbury 31 Aug 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

Not from a road and I probably shouldn't have been surprised but I was blown away by the view from Aran Fawddwy. All the way round from Cader and the Rhinogs to the Carneddau, the Arenigs, Rhobell Fawr and Dduallt providing a superb foreground without getting in the way.
 Pekkie 31 Aug 2017
In reply to pasbury:
On the south side of the penmachno valley (following the forest roads back towards Betwys). they have carried out a lot of tree felling revealing an amazing panorama including Snowdon, Glyders, Carnedds etc. Will take a pic next time I'm up there and post on UKC.
In reply to Greenbanks:

Not really sure where on the A470 you mean. From Llanrwst area you mostly just see Gwydir forest with occasional glimpses of the mountains through Bwlch yr haearn.

Two of the best (roadside) views of Snowdonia are from the top of the Eastern side of the Conwy valley (as Hat Dude said, and well worth the detour on a clear day) and from various points on Anglesey where the main mountain groups extend on to Nantlle ridge/Cwm silyn and down the spine of the Lleyn.
 Pekkie 31 Aug 2017
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:
The Penmachno valley is a kind of extension of the Conway valley, so depending on the trees, anywhere high up along the east side of there should give good views of the main Snowdonia mountains. I was gobsmacked at the transformation from a boring coniferous forest plod to amazing panorama.
Post edited at 13:55
OP Greenbanks 31 Aug 2017
In reply to Ron Rees Davies:

Hat Dude is more accurate regarding where I was...I've re-checked the OS map, and that's the road (thought it was a narrowish one for an 'A')

Thanks for spotting it

Fozzy 31 Aug 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

Driving the A487 into Wales and coming around the bend at the top of the Dovey valley. Utterly spectacular.
OP Greenbanks 31 Aug 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

Yes - as an ex student at Aberystwyth Uni that is familiar territory.

I am always impressed by the Lakes panorama from the M6 (various views, past Lancaster & on to Carnforth I think).

Another undoubted blinder is the Cuillin from the A87 by Kyle. Great stuff
 alan moore 31 Aug 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

> Any others spring to mind?

Liathach looking a stones throw away from the top of Creag Glass on a clear November day.

Being able to see the top 50feet of Snowdonia peeping over the Glyders from the top of Tryfan was unexpected.

Similarly, the tip of Goat fell from Ben Cluech (as well as Bass Rock on the opposite coast)

The view from Surpise View is always a nice surprise! Especially when the Hope Valley is full of mist...
 Trangia 31 Aug 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:
Yes, the view of the N Wales mountains including Snowdon, Tryfan, Carneddau, and the Glyders from Offa's Dyke which I walked last year. Unexpected and stunning.
Post edited at 19:44
Gone for good 31 Aug 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

When driving West on the M8 (going over the hill just past the Erskine Bridge) the Argyll hills open out beyond the River Clyde and the Sea Lochs. Ben Lomond is seen to the North beyond Dumbarton and for me it's one of the great motorway mountain vistas anywhere in the World.

You can't beat Scotland on a clear warm sunny day!
 Sean Kelly 31 Aug 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

Riding a motorbike through the Jura in the mid 60's, and at the top of this pass we had the whole panorama of the Mont Blanc massif against the setting sun. It stopped us in out tracks!
 Tom Last 31 Aug 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

View north across Assynt from the road out west from Stac Pollaidh towards Achiltibuie.
 Flinticus 03 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:
Too many obvious examples along the A82.

Heading north from Tyndrum as Beinn Dorain comes into view with Allt Kinglass below.

West to the Blackmount over the lochs as you pass Loch Ba on the east side of the A82.

The chief culprit: Glen Coe. Go through in winter or at an unsocial time when the hordes of camera infected zombies have yet to arrive. (The view was totally unexpected when I first saw it)
Post edited at 16:20
 Michael Hood 03 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

In the Lakes, the Birker Fell road near where it goes past the track to Devoke Water. The view across Eskdale to the Scafells, Bowfell etc. is just stunning.

Note: only when it's good weather. In clag the view's as crap as everywhere else.
 Bulls Crack 04 Sep 2017
baron 04 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

Snowdonia and the Lleyn Peninsula from Holyhead mountain.
 Deri Jones 04 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:
The view from the Wynford Vaughan Thomas memorial on the Llanidloes-Machynlleth road is pretty unexpected - coming up from the green and worn hills of Mid Wales, you get the first glimpse of the harder, rockier hills of Eryri - Cader, Arans and points north peaking through the gaps.
https://flic.kr/p/MHhMyu
Particularly good for me as it mean I'm 15 minutes from home
OP Greenbanks 05 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

Another view, actually looking away from Snowdonia, is that looking out to The Rivals - they always seem grander than they actually are, as they appear to come straight out of the sea.
 AllanMac 05 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

The unexpected, elevated view across to Llandegley Rhos on the A44 between New Radnor and Rhayader is very special. Driving West, it is the first glimpse of the hills of Mid Wales.

This view will no doubt be enhanced by the proposed Hendy Wind Farm, shortly to be approved by the Welsh Government and their undying sensitivity towards local opinion and the aesthetics of landscape.
OP Greenbanks 05 Sep 2017
In reply to baron:

> Snowdonia and the Lleyn Peninsula from Holyhead mountain.

Good shout. I've come away from Anglesey on several occasions in the evening, having been lured by the sunshine away from a miserable Pass or Ogwen, only to see the vibrant, clear, sun-bathed but mischievous vista of Snowdoniasaying "This is what you could have won..." (aka Jim Bowen on Bullseye)
llechwedd 09 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

The view north, from Seana Bhraigh.
 Jamie Hageman 09 Sep 2017
In reply to Gone for good:

> You can't beat Scotland on a clear warm sunny day!

How about Scotland on a clear cold winter day?
Post edited at 16:46
 Dave Hewitt 09 Sep 2017
In reply to alan moore:

> Similarly, the tip of Goat fell from Ben Cluech (as well as Bass Rock on the opposite coast)

It's striking how often Arran is in view from the top of Ben Cleuch - not just Goatfell but Cir Mhor and Caisteal Abhail too. Looks lovely on fine summer evenings (when the new Queensferry Crossing also looks nice, catching the sun, a definite good addition to the view). A much rarer sighting from Cleuch is the Cheviot, just to the right of Arthur's Seat - it usually needs snow on top to be noticed. It's 80 miles away, the furthest hill you can see from there.

A remarkable line of sight, at least in theory - I've yet to be there on a sharp enough day to see it - is that both Wetherlam and Pillar are visible from Tinto.
 Robert Durran 09 Sep 2017
In reply to alan moore:

> Similarly, the tip of Goat fell from Ben Cluech (as well as Bass Rock on the opposite coast)

Looking at that view at sunset right now!

Mehmet Karatay 09 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

I went up Beinn a' Chaorainn in the Cairngorms in April. I found it a very dull mountain but at the summit the views opened up and gave me a very memorable panorama of the Cairngorms which I'd never seen before. I've given recommendations to friends since to go up on a fine day.

Mehmet
 Dave Hewitt 09 Sep 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Looking at that view at sunset right now!

Good stuff - lovely evening in Stirling, great views of the west. I was up Ben Cleuch in the afternoon, wandered round the Bengengie-Blairdenon-Cleuch-Wood Hill loop. A few showers at that stage but mainly dry and very nice light.
 Robert Durran 09 Sep 2017
In reply to Dave Hewitt:

> It's striking how often Arran is in view from the top of Ben Cleuch.

I think more of the Arran skyline is actually visible from Kingseat!
 Dave the Rave 09 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:
I was once wandering across Kinder Scout. It was a beautiful sunny day with birds singing and mountain hares springing across the moor. I got to Kinder Downfall to have a cup of tea, with my faithful Border Terrier sharing my cake.
I got out my water colour set and started to paint the scene looking down to Hayfield across the reservoir. Beautiful shades of green, purple and brown.
I continued to paint until this big, black cloud loomed from over Manchester. My thoughts turned to the peat surrounding us. Suddenly, my painting got darker and darker until it was all black! It was all black! Black I tell thee!!https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0ahUKEwjkleW9hZnWAhWq...
Post edited at 22:28
 Mike-W-99 09 Sep 2017
In reply to Greenbanks:

Until I got moved downstairs I had a view of 2 munros , 2 corbetts, multiple wee hills and a graham from my desk. Good for checking southern highlands snow conditions from Edinburgh. Made the day pass by a bit quicker.
Jim Birr 09 Sep 2017
In reply to Bulls Crack:

You're right, absolutely exceptional and stunning view.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...