UKC

VIDEO: The Warrior's Roof

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 20 Sep 2017
Fred Moix on Greenspit, 8b+ trad, Valle dell'Orco, Italy, 3 kb13 years after belaying Didier Berthod on the first ascent, Fred Moix repeats Greenspit, an 8b+ roof crack in the Valle dell'Orco, Italy.

Read more
 stp 21 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Great vid with some really nice footage. Have to say that I thought the music seemed like it would be more appropriate for something like Lord of the Rings though.

Interesting that he redpointed it placing the gear on lead. To strip all the gear out of a horizontal roof like that must be a huge faff and a lot of effort. Not surprised Didier went for the pinkpoint originally.
 Mick Ward 21 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Loved this video - so beautiful. Am amazed it doesn't seem to have garnered much attention on here.

Hanging the crimps seemed a stopper move. But hey, he's a boulderer!

Would be great to see video footage of Laurence and Stevie on this.

Like jamming into heaven.

Mick
 Robert Durran 21 Sep 2017
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Loved this video - so beautiful.

Really? I'm Afraid I found the whole thing somewhat pretentiously overblown and slightly irritating. It left me wanting to see a proper real time single shot of the whole ascent without music of what is clearly amazing climb.
 aln 22 Sep 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

> pretentiously overblown

Absolutely. And it's not a route, it's a boulder problem.

Bulls Crack 22 Sep 2017

I thought it was an instructional video for cam placing
 Fraser 22 Sep 2017
In reply to stp:
> Great vid with some really nice footage. Have to say that I thought the music seemed like it would be more appropriate for something like Lord of the Rings though.

I watched it with the sound off but for me, it was a visual feast. Lovely cinematography, but I take RD's point about it not being much of a 'climbing film'. I also forgot Didier had become a monk!
Post edited at 08:19
 Robert Durran 22 Sep 2017
In reply to Bulls Crack:
> I thought it was an instructional video for cam placing

More a sort of: "Look! Leader place protection! Such a novelty that we'll show every placement from several different angles in slow motion".

Alao: "Look! I've got a drone! I'll make it buzz around annoyingly just to make sure you didn't think I'd merely climbed a convenient tree."
Post edited at 11:16
 Jon Stewart 22 Sep 2017

> Really? I'm Afraid I found the whole thing somewhat pretentiously overblown and slightly irritating.

Didn't want to be the first to say it. The music, the close-ups, the slow-mo, I found it completely ludicrous. Verging on parody. Please, no one ever make a climbing film like this ever again.
 Marc C 22 Sep 2017
In reply to stp:

Agree...really good video, but the soundtrack was way too OTT!
 GrahamD 22 Sep 2017
In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Didn't want to be the first to say it. The music, the close-ups, the slow-mo, I found it completely ludicrous. Verging on parody. Please, no one ever make a climbing film like this ever again.

Verging on parody but I quite liked it for that. Its not too long either. I like having a variety of styles of what are, after all, free climbing videos. Personally I don't particularly like the American 'rock star wannabe' introspectives' or videos with dance music backgrounds but each to their own.
 Jon Stewart 22 Sep 2017
In reply to GrahamD:

> Verging on parody but I quite liked it for that. Its not too long either. I like having a variety of styles of what are, after all, free climbing videos. Personally I don't particularly like the American 'rock star wannabe' introspectives' or videos with dance music backgrounds but each to their own.

I tend to like stuff that has a sense of humility and/or humour. Not much of it around. This was the diametric opposite.
 stp 22 Sep 2017

> I found the whole thing somewhat pretentiously overblown and slightly irritating

I think it would have come across rather differently with a different soundtrack or even narration instead of music.
 TheGeneralist 22 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News:

The mind boggles. Wh would you go to the trouble of carrying a camera to a crag and filmiing something, then editing it

And then dubbing it with music that is so awful that there is no possibility of anyone getting past the first 60 seconds.

Dire
 Fraser 23 Sep 2017
Just watched it again with the sound on this time and okay, it was a bit 'epic' in nature, but I don't think it detracted very much from the video: big struggle, man against nature, will he defeat the rock. I see why the film maker chose it, but coupled with predominantly slo-mo footage it seemed a little inappropriate at times.

Slower / quieter music might have been a better choice, or real-time footage or different editing perhaps.

Overall I felt it's still a good video, helped by the drone footage which gives a good impression of the 3D form of the rock which the line takes. I'd not seen this in videos of other climbers on it so was helpful in that respect. I think I'd give this an 8/10.

BusyLizzie 25 Sep 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Well I enjoyed it very much, for what that's worth. The monk was a surprise - I wonder what the story is there.
 Mick Ward 26 Sep 2017
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Hi Lizzie, Didier Berthod, who did the FA of Greenspit, had a famous battle for the FA of Cobra Crack. Sadly he got injured and didn't make it. I believe he subsequently dropped out of climbing and became a monk. So I'm assuming that's him with Fred Moix at the end. For me, this is the best part of the film and, as I said above, I loved the rest of it. Although the two of them may have hugged each other for the camera, the emotion between them is palpable. Each knows what the other has endured on Greenspit.

For me, that's what climbing is all about - the joy (and pain!) of struggle, the shared emotion - whether you win or whether you don't.

Mick
 BusyLizzie 26 Sep 2017
In reply to Mick Ward:

Thank you. Yes, that was not just a hug for the camera, there was some very deep stuff going on there. People being real with each other.
Lizzie
 aln 26 Sep 2017
In reply to aln:

> Absolutely. And it's not a route, it's a boulder problem.

Well now I know there's at least 6 people on here lacking a sense of humour.
 Robert Durran 26 Sep 2017
In reply to Mick Ward:
A monk? A hug? Really? Was this some sort of subliminal message that eluded me? Don't say I have to watch it again!
Post edited at 09:28
 Mick Ward 26 Sep 2017

Yes Robert, I'm afraid you do have to watch it again - this time all the way through, if you please.

The carpet crawlers heed their callers:
"We've got to get in... to get out...
We've got to get in... to get out...
We've got to get in... to get out..."

You just know it makes sense!

Mick
 Mick Ward 26 Sep 2017
In reply to aln:

I'm afraid Laurence got there well before you. She had some nifty French term (which has since fled my mind), roughly translating as 'cute'. And then she whopped four cams in the roof and went for it. She earned the right to call it whatever she likes - fought the good fight and, in the end, came close to winning.

Me, I'll go with, "It doesn't make Quietus look like a Diff - it makes it look like the stroll up to the crag."

Mick

Robert Durran 26 Sep 2017
In reply to Mick Ward:

> Yes Robert, I'm afraid you do have to watch it again - this time all the way through, if you please.

Oh bollocks. Can't I just watch the end bit?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...