UKC

Strange Light Conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 petegunn 16 Oct 2017
Anyone else experiencing the strange light conditions this morning before the storm arrives!
Its very yellow up here in Cumbria
 Pedro50 16 Oct 2017
In reply to petegunn:

Saharan dust sucked in by Ophelia apparently. Weird here in the NE too
OP petegunn 16 Oct 2017
In reply to Pedro50:

Explains the yellow tint today : )
 Dave Todd 16 Oct 2017
In reply to petegunn:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=672773

Red sun (in a grey sky) in Sheffield at the moment - quite pretty and a bit spooky!
 Postmanpat 16 Oct 2017
In reply to petegunn:

red sun in wiltshire....
 starbug 16 Oct 2017
In reply to petegunn:
We have had a sepia photograph effect most of the morning in mid wales that is clearing now
Post edited at 12:07
 Flinticus 16 Oct 2017
In reply to petegunn:

Here too in Glasgow
 Dax H 16 Oct 2017
In reply to Dave Todd:

Same in Doncaster.
Pretty cool
 greg_may_ 16 Oct 2017
In reply to petegunn:

Wonderful yellow tinge to Manchester instead of it's normal grim grotty grey.
 pebbles 16 Oct 2017
In reply to petegunn:

Yellowy orange in York. Gloomy!
 Andy Johnson 16 Oct 2017
In reply to petegunn:

As others have said, its looking a bit murky here in Manchester. Wondering about postponing my lunchtime run as I don't fancy inhaling this stuff. Or is it only present at high altitudes? Any thoughts?
In reply to petegunn:
Yellow tint & very dark here in Stirling - though not windy yet.
Lusk 16 Oct 2017
In reply to andyjohnson0:

You're in Manchester and worried about inhaling a bit of Saharan dust?!
In reply to petegunn:

Same in s.wales but sunny with wind increasing p.m
 Max Hangs 16 Oct 2017
In reply to andyjohnson0:

> As others have said, its looking a bit murky here in Manchester. Wondering about postponing my lunchtime run as I don't fancy inhaling this stuff. Or is it only present at high altitudes? Any thoughts?

I could smell it in the air when I popped out for lunch!!
 The New NickB 16 Oct 2017
In reply to petegunn:

Yes very strange here in the South Pennines.
 Trangia 16 Oct 2017
In reply to petegunn:

Don't look at it! Or you will go blind and the Triffids will arrive and take over the country......
 ring ouzel 16 Oct 2017
In reply to petegunn:

Strong easterly winds and heavy rain on the Black Isle. Sky is orangey, looks oppressive.
 Andy Johnson 16 Oct 2017
In reply to Lusk:

True. Although now that most of the darn satanic mills have been converted to avocado toast cafes we have reasonably good air.

I did notice that the pigeons that always hang out near the duck pond seem to have left. And the sun through the clouds was orange-red, which I suspect is a sign that Cthulhu is riding in on the storm to devour the survivors.
 krikoman 16 Oct 2017
In reply to Pedro50:
> Saharan dust sucked in by Ophelia apparently. Weird here in the NE too

It's been a long way from the Sahara, to have suck dust up from there.

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2017/Tropical-Storm-Ophelia...

Not saying it's not true but, Ophelia must be a very good sucker!
Post edited at 15:11
 felt 16 Oct 2017
In reply to petegunn:

Everyone's gathered at the windows of the 16th floor of my office in London staring at the apocalyptic scene. Sky dark yellow, almost brown.
 Mr Lopez 16 Oct 2017
In reply to krikoman:

> It's been a long way from the Sahara, to have suck dust up from there.

It's got nothing to do with 'Saharan dust' despite what the papers claim. It is mostly dust, smoke and ashes from the wildfires raging in Portugal and Galicia. You can even smell it down in London.
 Nevis-the-cat 16 Oct 2017

Someone added a tobacco filter here in Shropshire.

Like a typical scene from Top Gear...

In reply to petegunn:

yep, pretty weird in Wester Ross too although we'll be missing the storm we're told
 malk 16 Oct 2017
In reply to krikoman:

portugal wildfires?
 krikoman 16 Oct 2017
In reply to Mr Lopez:

> It's got nothing to do with 'Saharan dust' despite what the papers claim. It is mostly dust, smoke and ashes from the wildfires raging in Portugal and Galicia. You can even smell it down in London.

That sounds more feasible.
 pebbles 16 Oct 2017
In reply to krikoman:

Well that's depressing. Wildfires raging round huge swathes of the southwestern USA and southern Europe, two really powerful hurricanes with the season hardly begun, and still f*## all happening to slow climate change . After me the flood and all that sort of thing (bangs head repeatedly against wall)
 Pedro50 16 Oct 2017
In reply to krikoman:

> It's been a long way from the Sahara, to have suck dust up from there.

> Not saying it's not true but, Ophelia must be a very good sucker!

BBC weather presenter Simon King said it was due to the remnants of Hurricane Ophelia dragging in tropical air and dust from the Sahara.
He added that debris from forest fires in Portugal and Spain was also playing a part.

In reply to petegunn:

It looked as though the sky was tinged with iodine this morning down here in Somerset. All back to normal now.

T.
 Trangia 16 Oct 2017
In reply to petegunn:

The weird sun and sky has just reached the south east - fascinating. Westerly wind increasing now and air very humid.
 Mr Lopez 16 Oct 2017
In reply to Pedro50:

> BBC weather presenter Simon King said it was due to the remnants of Hurricane Ophelia dragging in tropical air and dust from the Sahara.

> He added that debris from forest fires in Portugal and Spain was also playing a part.

If you read the last paragraph in that article, it says "The Met Office said the "vast majority" of the dust was as a result of forest fires in Iberia, which have sent debris into the air and that has been dragged north by Ophelia."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41635906

ETA: Also in the extended article https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/oct/16/apocalypse-wow-saharan-dust...
Post edited at 18:01
In reply to petegunn:

I took the dog out here in Nottinghamshire at about 2:30pm. The light had been weird for about two hours, orange and reds in one direction, a vert strange cloud formation in an other and black as night in another. Cars has lights on and it was very warm. Cleared up by about 4pm.
 Doug 16 Oct 2017
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

weird colours in Brittany this morning according to the French press
http://www.lemonde.fr/planete/article/2017/10/16/ciel-jaune-et-ambiance-cre...
Tanke 16 Oct 2017
In reply to petegunn:

HAARP chemtards
A red sky at night shepherd delight
Chem trails in a morning government warning

Rigid Raider 16 Oct 2017
In reply to petegunn:

The smoke was strong enough at altitude for several aircraft to report smoke in the cabin and declare an emergency.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...