UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Right Angle - 50th Anniversary Ascent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 27 Oct 2017
UKC user Dave Linnett's Friday Night Videos never fail to go down well and we think this one will be no exception: a 50th anniversary climb of the classic sea cliff route Right Angle at Gurnard's Head in Cornwall.

Read more
 Skip 27 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Was a fantastic day out.
In reply to UKC News:

Lovely, as ever!

Alan
 olddirtydoggy 27 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC News:
We need more vids like this to cater to the mere mortals on here who are not hitting the bigger grades. Whilst it's entertaining to watch some 0% body fat athelete walk up a 9b, it's personally sometimes more inspiring to see a great vid of a great route done just for the love of doing it. Dave's vids really are some of the best material out there and when they come out, me and the wife sit down to watch them, rather than using them as background entertainment whilst doing the pots.
Post edited at 18:27
Gone for good 27 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Great film from a great part of the world and that climb is now on my list for next summer!!
 Wft 27 Oct 2017
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

There's a film by James Mann on the 50th Anniversary ascent of Moonraker (HVS 5a) I think you will really enjoy, featuring Pat Littlejohn and Pete Biven's granddaughter. It's showing at Kendal and, I hope, will be for public release shortly after.
 james mann 27 Oct 2017
In reply to Wood for Trees:

Not showing at Kendal. Didn’t make it I’m afraid. Will be available soon though hopefully. Keep an eye out. The right angle day was an awful lot of fun. A great climb.
 Blake 27 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Great vid! Made my evening.
 BALD EAGLE 27 Oct 2017
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

> Lovely, as ever!

> Alan

Thanks a million Alan!
Cheers
Dave
 BALD EAGLE 27 Oct 2017
In reply to olddirtydoggy:

> We need more vids like this to cater to the mere mortals on here who are not hitting the bigger grades. Whilst it's entertaining to watch some 0% body fat athelete walk up a 9b, it's personally sometimes more inspiring to see a great vid of a great route done just for the love of doing it. Dave's vids really are some of the best material out there and when they come out, me and the wife sit down to watch them, rather than using them as background entertainment whilst doing the pots.

Many thanks for taking the time to post your kind words as it makes those loooong hours of editing worthwhile!
Cheers
Dave
 BALD EAGLE 27 Oct 2017
In reply to Gone for good:

> Great film from a great part of the world and that climb is now on my list for next summer!!

Many thanks Wanderer and I hope you get on the route as it is an absolute classic at the grade!
Cheers
Dave
 BALD EAGLE 27 Oct 2017
In reply to Blake:

> Great vid! Made my evening.

Thanks a million Blake and I'm glad you enjoyed my wee vid!
Cheers
Dave
 neuromancer 27 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Great vid.

Can I ask why the decision was made to climb a variation and not descend to the platform? Was the tide too high?
Removed User 27 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Wonderful.
 Skip 27 Oct 2017
In reply to neuromancer:

> Great vid.

> Can I ask why the decision was made to climb a variation and not descend to the platform? Was the tide too high?

It was an all day mission, so the tide would have become involved at some point.
 BALD EAGLE 27 Oct 2017
In reply to Removed UserStuart en Écosse:

> Wonderful.

Cheers Stuart!
 BALD EAGLE 27 Oct 2017
In reply to neuromancer:

> Great vid.

> Can I ask why the decision was made to climb a variation and not descend to the platform? Was the tide too high?

Thanks for your kind comment neuromancer as it is muchly appreciated. As Skip has mentioned we did the VS variant as opposed to the original HS line due to the high tides as we were climbing and filming all day and wanted to try and get 50 people along and up this technically straightforward but serious + committing 3 pitch sea cliff route. So to make this possible a huge thanks and honourable mention should go to the riggers and strippers: James, Gareth, Simon, Tom, Nicolas and Will who all did a great job of equipping the route + belays which was quite a challenge but enabled us to get an 8 year old girl and her 10 year old brother up the route safely!
Cheers
Dave
 Bobling 28 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Cheers Dave! Brings back memories of doing it with you a few years back but more importantly Cheers Iain for the route. Great stuff.
 BALD EAGLE 28 Oct 2017
In reply to Bobling:

> Cheers Dave! Brings back memories of doing it with you a few years back but more importantly Cheers Iain for the route. Great stuff.

Cheers Bobling and that was a few years ago! Anyway God bless Iain for having one too many beers before stumbling along the coast path too Gurnards Head and peering over the edge of the cliff...
 Steve Perry 28 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Very pleasant viewing.
 Wft 28 Oct 2017
In reply to james mann:

Disappointing, looking forward to watching it again all the same
 BALD EAGLE 28 Oct 2017
In reply to Steve Perry:

> Very pleasant viewing.

Thanks Steve muchly appreciated!
 aln 28 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Lovely stuff. I think I had something in my eye at the end...
 sjminfife 28 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Wow this brought back the memories of when I did this route 40 years ago. What a classic and what a great way of filming the day.
In reply to UKC News:
I did Right Angle in 1979. I lived in the Lakes and we were on family holiday in Cornwall. By coincidence a good climbing mate was also on family holiday there and suggested a day climbing. I expected to climb at Bosigran but he said to meet up at St Gurnards Head. We met and did RA on a calm day - I knew nothing about the climb but quickly realised that this was a hidden gem. We had a great day - looks like these guys did as well.
 riff156 28 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Great video, another one to add to the ever increasing list of great routes to do, also the music was really suited to it does anyone know who it is by ?

Cheers
 BALD EAGLE 29 Oct 2017
In reply to aln:

> Lovely stuff. I think I had something in my eye at the end...

Cheers aln it was quite emotional for Iain and a real privilege for me to climb + film his route 50 years on with Iain and his son Bob!
 BALD EAGLE 29 Oct 2017
In reply to sjminfife:

> Wow this brought back the memories of when I did this route 40 years ago. What a classic and what a great way of filming the day.

Many thanks sjm and it was quite a challenge to film but hopefully a nice memento of a fun day out on a great route with lots of mates!
 alpinist63 29 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC News:

great film bringing back good memories of a great route! I had the chance to visit Cornwall in 82' and climb a number of classic routes but RA, with the waves crushing below, that was an outstanding experience.
videos of classic routes like this one are certainly very much appreciated, as lots of people will either have done the route themselves, or they can aspire doing it. either way, very inspirational
 Iain Peters 29 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Congratulations Dave. Loved the film although I must remind you about leaving the outtakes on the cutting room floor! Also keep that same day next August free. You, Mick Ward and I have a date and anyone else for that matter. 50 is just a number as is 51!
 The Ivanator 29 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Another top film Dave. Had a lively sea when I did Right Angle some years ago, did we opt for the "high and dry" option - no siree! And a memorable soaking ensued
 BALD EAGLE 29 Oct 2017
In reply to riff156:

> Great video, another one to add to the ever increasing list of great routes to do, also the music was really suited to it does anyone know who it is by ?

> Cheers

Thanks riff I use Audio Network for my videos and the music is called Towards the Open Sea by Bruce Maginnis and Kate Henshaw!
Cheers
Dave
 BALD EAGLE 29 Oct 2017
In reply to alpinist63:

> great film bringing back good memories of a great route! I had the chance to visit Cornwall in 82' and climb a number of classic routes but RA, with the waves crushing below, that was an outstanding experience.

> videos of classic routes like this one are certainly very much appreciated, as lots of people will either have done the route themselves, or they can aspire doing it. either way, very inspirational

Thanks a million alpinist63 for your kind comments as it is muchly appreciated!
Cheers
Dave
 pneame 29 Oct 2017
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

I ran out of superlatives - perfect in every way - subject matter, rationale, film structure, sound track, etc, etc
Just great.

I couldn't think why this was never on my radar - but I only ever climbed "down south" once in my life. A few days at Bosigran in, I think, 1970. I've obviously missed out on a lot.
 BALD EAGLE 30 Oct 2017
In reply to Iain Peters:

> Congratulations Dave. Loved the film although I must remind you about leaving the outtakes on the cutting room floor! Also keep that same day next August free. You, Mick Ward and I have a date and anyone else for that matter. 50 is just a number as is 51!

Thanks a million Iain and the outtakes are still under lock and key but can be deleted forever for a small bribe! And I'm up for the 51st anniversary ascent next year with you and Mick and a cast of thousands...
 BALD EAGLE 30 Oct 2017
In reply to The Ivanator:

> Another top film Dave. Had a lively sea when I did Right Angle some years ago, did we opt for the "high and dry" option - no siree! And a memorable soaking ensued

Many thanks Ivanator and as amazing as the original line is, the high level VS traverse on pitch 2 is excellent, possibly a more logical line and you also get a true right angle!
Cheers
Dave
 BALD EAGLE 30 Oct 2017
In reply to pneame:

> I ran out of superlatives - perfect in every way - subject matter, rationale, film structure, sound track, etc, etc

> Just great.

> I couldn't think why this was never on my radar - but I only ever climbed "down south" once in my life. A few days at Bosigran in, I think, 1970. I've obviously missed out on a lot.

Aaaawww thanks for your kind comments pneame, muchly appreciated and the cheques in the post!
Cheers
Dave
 zigzag 30 Oct 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Once again the Bald Eagle "Dave" comes up with the goods, I always watch his superb video's more than once because you always pick up on something you've missed the first time. I could climb this route now I've seen the video so thanks to Haliaeetus leucocephalus , I bet you didn't know that Dave.
 Iain Peters 30 Oct 2017
In reply to BALD EAGLE:

My maths is hopeless Dave. 51st was this August with Rosa. It'll be 52nd next year!!!
 james mann 30 Oct 2017
In reply to Iain Peters:

I was going to point this out Iain but I thought it was cruel. Would you like an ice cream?
 BALD EAGLE 31 Oct 2017
In reply to zigzag:

> Once again the Bald Eagle "Dave" comes up with the goods, I always watch his superb video's more than once because you always pick up on something you've missed the first time. I could climb this route now I've seen the video so thanks to Haliaeetus leucocephalus , I bet you didn't know that Dave.

Many thanks zigzag and you are correct I did not know that!
 BALD EAGLE 31 Oct 2017
In reply to Iain Peters:

> My maths is hopeless Dave. 51st was this August with Rosa. It'll be 52nd next year!!!

Ha ha Iain only a year out but who cares whether it is the 51st or 52nd anniversary! And if James is buying the ice creams then I am definitely in...
 Doghouse 01 Nov 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Brilliant!!
 BALD EAGLE 02 Nov 2017
In reply to Doghouse:

> Brilliant!!

Thanks Doghouse and I really appreciate your appreciation!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...