UKC

Music for my Dad

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kathrync 27 Nov 2017
The "books for my niece" thread went well, so I thought I would try the same approach to solve my other cultural Christmas present problem.

This time the goal is music for my Dad. He loves his music, but doesn't listen to the radio much so doesn't hear much new stuff. The idea is that I buy him a small selection of new-ish (say released in the last 5 years) albums that I think he might like. I usually try to find one or two that I am pretty sure he will like, and one or two that are a bit more off the wall. I do this every year, but this year I am really stuck for ideas.

He is very much into 70's folky/bluesy rock - Led Zep, The Doors, The Who, Clapton etc etc. Hits (by which I mean things he really liked) from the last couple of years have included:

Frank Turner
Two Gallants
The Wilko Johnson/Roger Daltrey album (that one was an obvious choice)
Muse (that one was a complete surprise!)
Kings of Leon
The National
Gomez (Bring it On/Liquid Skin era)

Suggestions for this year please!
 RX-78 27 Nov 2017
In reply to kathrync:

Well more modern folky stuff might be Iron & Wine, Jose Gonzalez, fleet foxes etc
 deepsoup 27 Nov 2017
In reply to kathrync:
How about 'Post Pop Depression' by Iggy Pop?
 graeme jackson 27 Nov 2017
In reply to kathrync:

if he likes zep and muse he'd maybe like Mr Big - latest release is 'defying gravity' although their earlier (90's) works have more 'singalong' type stuff - e.g. 'Lean into it'.
Rigid Raider 27 Nov 2017
In reply to kathrync:

My sister is a good pianist and last year for her birthday I bought her a CD of Porcelain by Helen Jane Long, which she loved. This year I bought her this, which she and her hubby are also loving to bits:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0009A414M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s0...

In reply to kathrync:
Some suggestions; I suspect some will already be in your father's library, so do check.

John Martyn's an obvious choice. If Solid Air isn't in your father's collection already, this will fit right in. Jethro Tull's Heavy Horses or Song From The Wood would both fit in too, as would pretty much anything by Richard Thompson; I suggest Mirror Blue .

A little more modern (only 20 years or so old), Beth Orton's first album, Trailer Park, meets your requirements. Grinderman's self-titled first album does too; these cover your folky and rocky bases quite well. There's an album called The Book Of Invasions by a group called The Horslips which is well worth getting to know too; again, this would pretty much fit straight in to your dad's library but it's not so well known these days so may not be there already (the rest of their output doesn't live up to the standard set by this so is best avoided). Avalanche by Thea Gilmore would work, as would an album titled This Rhythm Is Mine by Sally Barker - though this might be difficult to find.

If something more folky is needed, try Skulk by Jim Moray. This varies from the standard folk/rock Steeleye Span sound through to tunes with backgrounds that vary from northern European jazz to progressive rock mellotron washes, as well as a banjo-led cover of Fleetwood Mac's Big Love. It's better than that makes it sound!

Though it doesn't immediately fit your criteria, something by Public Service Broadcasting - try The War Room - might work, as might something by Rodrigo y Gabriella - try Live In Manchester and Dublin.

If there's space for something with a more American slant, try Rites Of Passage by the Indigo Girls; there's a terrible cover of Romeo and Juliet on there; I just skip past that and recommend everyone else does too. The rest of it varies from good to excellent.

And my completely out of left field choice for you is Ghostpoet's latest album, Dark Days + Canapes. Yes, it's modern and no, it won't immediately appeal but tell your Dad to give it time; the good stuff takes a while to sink in.

And a suggestion from even further out is the Hackney Colliery Band's Live album. Again, it'll take a while to click but click it eventually will.

Hope that helps!

T.
Edit - just noticed your 'released in the last five years' point. Well, some of my suggestions have been...
Post edited at 15:49
 TMM 27 Nov 2017
In reply to kathrync:

Give him a try on The war on drugs. My dad (in his early 70's) is impressed.
 Blue Straggler 27 Nov 2017
In reply to kathrync:

The Burning Hell
Karl Blau

and a bit older, ignoring your 5 years thing:
Neil Diamond's "12 Songs" album
Violent Femmes' second album "Hallowed Ground", yes it is from 1983 but if he like Two Gallants, this should be right up his street. I came to it far too late in life, wish I'd been listening to it 20 years ago.
and although it is mostly a female vocal lead, The Walkabouts (various compilations abound)
Rigid Raider 27 Nov 2017
In reply to kathrync:

Another suggestion: if your Dad is into folky stuff he will certainly like Mandolin Orange. Have a look at this lovely video:

youtube.com/watch?v=iOHkyZ62jjQ&

This is their song that I like the best:

youtube.com/watch?v=RREoo7HFabc&

(Mandolin Orange are coming to the UK in January/February! Woohoo!)

Skip 27 Nov 2017
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> something by Public Service Broadcasting

> Violent Femmes' second album "Hallowed Ground"

nathan79 27 Nov 2017
In reply to kathrync:

Rival Sons (a lot of Zeppelin-esque moments).
The Temperance Movement.
The Answer
Joanne Shaw Taylor
Joe Bonnomassa.

I'd say all the above would be worth checking out for him.
OP kathrync 27 Nov 2017
In reply to kathrync:

Thanks all! There is a reasonable amount of stuff in there that he already has, but that gives me some confidence in the rest. I think my Spotify account will be getting a workout this week while I listen to some of this stuff!
 Alyson 27 Nov 2017
In reply to TMM:

> Give him a try on The war on drugs. My dad (in his early 70's) is impressed.

My father in law has very similar musical taste to the OP's dad and he loves War on Drugs too.
OP kathrync 27 Nov 2017
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Violent Femmes' second album "Hallowed Ground", yes it is from 1983 but if he like Two Gallants, this should be right up his street. I came to it far too late in life, wish I'd been listening to it 20 years ago.

Ha ha, I am pretty sure it was you who recommended Two Gallants a couple of years ago! Hadn't considered Violent Femmes - I always think of their eponymous album when I think of them and that is a little too punky for his taste, but Hallowed Ground might be a good call.

OP kathrync 27 Nov 2017
In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> If there's space for something with a more American slant, try Rites Of Passage by the Indigo Girls; there's a terrible cover of Romeo and Juliet on there; I just skip past that and recommend everyone else does too. The rest of it varies from good to excellent.

Oh yeah, Spotify keeps putting that cover in my Discover Weekly for some unknown reason. It is abysmal! It had put me off trying any of their other stuff, but maybe I will now!
In reply to kathrync:

And straying even further from your remit:
Hole's "Live Through This" and The Geraldine Fibbers' "Lost Somewhere Between the Earth and My Home"
Yeah, female vocals
Yeah, from well over 20 years ago

BUT
fantastically rockin

Actually on that note - Hot Boxing and Rubbing Doesn't Help by Magnapop sound surprisingly fresh today; somehow the production on them hasn't really dated in the same way that a lot of 90s indie alterna-rock has done.
OP kathrync 27 Nov 2017
In reply to Blue Straggler:

> Hole's "Live Through This"

He probably has bad memories of teenage Kathryn playing this on repeat at ear-splitting volume!

Ramblin dave 27 Nov 2017
In reply to kathrync:

My dad has fairly similar taste, I think, and has been quite into Seasick Steve over the last few years.
 plyometrics 27 Nov 2017
In reply to kathrync:

Another vote for War On Drugs.

Sublime stuff.
OP kathrync 27 Nov 2017
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> My dad has fairly similar taste, I think, and has been quite into Seasick Steve over the last few years.

Oh, good call. Don't know why I didn't think of that!
 galpinos 27 Nov 2017
In reply to kathrync:

Ryan Adams? Could start with Heartbreaker?
 mbh 27 Nov 2017
In reply to kathrync:

How about Christie Moore or Show of Hands for a punchy, modern folky slant, or Vintage Trouble for bluesy rock?
 dread-i 27 Nov 2017
In reply to kathrync:
>Oh yeah, Spotify keeps putting ...

You mention spotify. Does he have a subscription or a device he could use to get it?

If not, rather than giving him some music, why not give him the gift of (nearly) all music?
 Sl@te Head 27 Nov 2017
In reply to kathrync:

Robert Plant's latest album - 'Carry Fire' it's brilliant

I went to see him and his band 'The Sensational space shifters' last week supported by Seth Lakeman an amazing group of musicians.
pasbury 27 Nov 2017
In reply to kathrync:

How old is he?
OP kathrync 27 Nov 2017
In reply to dread-i:

I have thought about this, but he has spent a lot of time building himself a server that streams FLAC around his house and is very proud of it. He is quite resistant to using streaming services for music because he feels like his effort is wasted. (He is fine with TV streaming mind you...)
OP kathrync 27 Nov 2017
In reply to pasbury:

> How old is he?

pasbury 27 Nov 2017
In reply to kathrync:

Was he into punk - would have been about the right age!
In reply to kathrync:

> He probably has bad memories of teenage Kathryn playing this on repeat at ear-splitting volume!

All the more reason to let him revisit it and appreciate on its own terms, for the great and slightly underrated all-time classic that it is. Especially at a few removes from the whole press circus around Courtney. It's great music.
In reply to kathrync:

The Dead Weather
Hurray For The Riff Raff
OP kathrync 27 Nov 2017
In reply to pasbury:

> Was he into punk - would have been about the right age!

Not really. I was, and it was really only punk and grunge that he ever asked me to turn down instead of up!
 PaulW 28 Nov 2017
In reply to kathrync:

Another vote for Hurray For The Riff Raff

Check out The Felice Brothers too
Rigid Raider 28 Nov 2017
In reply to kathrync:

This is a weird thread, I'm a Dad aged 61 yet there's a feeling that people of my age are considered old! I feel about 28 mentally, I listen to rock, go to gigs, drink beer, ride my race bike fast, still look OK in lycra and could probably out-climb most folk in a straight race up a hill!
 Big Ger 28 Nov 2017
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> My sister is a good pianist and last year for her birthday I bought her a CD of Porcelain by Helen Jane Long, which she loved.

I'm a big fan of HJL, found her via this forum.

In reply to kathrync:

Radio Moscow; for anyone that likes to say "they just don't make music like they used to", or fans of blues rock and awesome guitar solos.
OP kathrync 28 Nov 2017

> This is a weird thread, I'm a Dad aged 61 yet there's a feeling that people of my age are considered old! I feel about 28 mentally, I listen to rock, go to gigs, drink beer, ride my race bike fast, still look OK in lycra and could probably out-climb most folk in a straight race up a hill!

That certainly wasn't my intention! I don't think of Dad as particularly old. He listens to rock, drinks beer, goes to gigs, comes hillwalking with me, is technologically savvy, and enjoys building his own extensions for fun, much to Mum's horror. I withhold comment on the lycra though!

I have been buying him music for Christmas for about 10 years now. It started at his request because he felt like his collection was getting stale. I enjoy selecting stuff for him, our tastes overlap enough that I often discover new things for myself in the process, he enjoys receiving them and neither of us like making a fuss over expensive Christmas presents, so the arrangement suits us both. Nothing to do with his age, just me trying to to find some music for a family member!
pasbury 28 Nov 2017
In reply to kathrync:
OK - I share his taste to a certain extent and here's a couple I've appreciated recently from former Sonic Youthers;

Lee Renaldo - Electric trim
Thurston Moore - Rock & Roll Consciousness

Anything involving Jack White pushes my buttons too.
Post edited at 10:30
OP kathrync 28 Nov 2017
In reply to pasbury:

> Anything involving Jack White pushes my buttons too.

Definitely a good call! I bought him Elephant from the White Stripes album a few years back that went down well (Mum hates it with a fiery passion!). I'll see if I can find something from any of his other projects.
Rigid Raider 28 Nov 2017
In reply to kathrync:

Threads like this are good for me because I will sit down at the weekend and listen to all the recommendations. So thanks all!
pasbury 28 Nov 2017
In reply to kathrync:

The solo albums Blunderbuss and Lazaretto are tremendous and Consolers of the Lonely by the Raconteurs is a great rock/blues mix.
 Hat Dude 28 Nov 2017

> I listen to rock, go to gigs, drink beer, ride my race bike fast, still look OK in lycra and could probably out-climb most folk in a straight race up a hill!

Yeah!!! I'm 61 too and still do all that - OK maybe the last 3 just in my head ;-(
OP kathrync 28 Nov 2017
In reply to kathrync:

Can any of the War on Drugs fans recommend a particular album to start with, or are they all good??!
 TMM 10 Dec 2017
In reply to kathrync:
2014’s Lost in a dream was a bit of breakout album for them and is very accessible.
They released a follow up this year called a deeper understanding. It’s decent and well worth a listen but less immediate than lost in a dream.

Tony Jones 10 Dec 2017
In reply to kathrync:

> Definitely a good call! I bought him Elephant from the White Stripes album a few years back that went down well (Mum hates it with a fiery passion!). I'll see if I can find something from any of his other projects.

Forgive me if I'm repeating what anyone else has already mentioned as I've just speed-read the thread but, if he likes his bluesy heavy rock stuff, maybe one of Jack White's collaborative efforts like The Raconteurs or The Dead Weather might be to his taste.

Also from a folkier (well, bluegrass-ier) angle how about Raising Sand by Robert Plant and Alison Krauss.

Someone mentioned Ryan Adams upthread and some of his stuff is sublime. I would also recommend anything from the Gilllian Welch/Dave Rawlings catalogue. Rawlings' guitar playing is out of this world.
Removed User 10 Dec 2017
In reply to kathrync:

I haven't looked further up the thread but for bluesy rock you should definitely try Kaleo

https://www.bing.com/search?q=kaleo+youtube+way+down&qs=AS&pq=kaleo...
 Blue Straggler 11 Dec 2017
In reply to kathrync:

> I'll see if I can find something from any of his other projects.

I did mention The Dead Weather ages ago!
 Fredt 11 Dec 2017
In reply to kathrync:
I’m only a couple of years older than your father, and with similar musical tastes.
In the last three years I discovered Tom Waits, though most of his stuff is much older, “Bad As Me” (2011) is great.
At the moment I like Kormac, Imelda May, and I’m working my way through the ‘American’ Johnny Cash albums.
OP kathrync 11 Dec 2017
In reply to kathrync:

Thanks again all! I went out this weekend and bought a selection of 6 CDs, all but one of which were mentioned here. I have noted down the rest for next year!
 Blue Straggler 11 Dec 2017
In reply to kathrync:

What did you get what did you get what did you get?
Rigid Raider 18 Dec 2017
In reply to kathrync:

A bit late to the thread but the lovely Clemency Burton-Hill has published a book, which would be perfect for anybody wanting to know more about classical music. In fact I'm hoping Santa might be bringing it for me:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YEAR-WONDER-Classical-Music-Every/dp/1472251822/re...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...