UKC

Desert Island Discs!?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Pete Pozman 15 Dec 2017
Just been listening to Desert Island Discs. Kelsey Grammer, "Fräser", voted Trump, nor did he disavow him. I am genuinely flummoxed. How could a sensitive, serious man like him do this? I get why "the left behind" might vote for trump as an expression of rage or despair and, of course, for racists and misogynists he would be the default option but what is the psychology at work in Frasier's case?
 Andy Johnson 15 Dec 2017
In reply to Pete Pozman:

Nothing to lose and plenty to gain?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelsey_Grammer#Political_views

"Grammer is a member of the Republican Party and has expressed an interest in someday running for United States Congress.[59] He has also expressed an interest in running for Mayor of New York,[60] and for the U.S. Presidency.[61] Grammer was a guest at President George W. Bush's first inauguration.[62] Grammer endorsed Rudy Giuliani in the 2008 presidential primary and later campaigned for John McCain in the general election.[63][64] Grammer promoted RightNetwork, a conservative start-up American television network.[65] He endorsed Michele Bachmann for the Republican nomination for president in 2012.[66] After Mitt Romney won the nomination, Grammer endorsed him.[67] He supported Ben Carson's candidacy for the Republican Presidential nomination in 2016, although he endorsed Donald Trump when the latter was selected.[61]

Grammer supported the Tea Party movement on economic issues such as small government and lower taxes, but not on social issues such as same-sex marriage, stating "I think marriage is up to two people who love each other".[68]

While a New York magazine profile published in 2010 described him as pro-choice,[69] Grammer in 2015 posted an Instagram photo of himself with his wife Kayte wearing a T-shirt by the pro-life group Abort73.[70] City A.M. described Grammer as "one of Hollywood's best-known Republicans, a rare spark of red in a blue sea of Democrats".[61]"
 Mike Highbury 15 Dec 2017
In reply to Pete Pozman: Is Kelsey Grammar an actor, I wonder?

Rob Exile Ward 15 Dec 2017
In reply to Pete Pozman:

You and I might differ about this Pete, but I was equally flummoxed by his religious fervour.

As someone fully signed up to the Hitchens/Dawkins/Fry 'where is god when a child has bone cancer' argument I find that equally baffling. Why is god blessing Grammar, and leaving millions to starve?
OP Pete Pozman 15 Dec 2017
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

We do differ obviously on matters of faith. Being a Catholic I have an insight into those for whom the issue of abortion "trumps", as it were, all other issues when it comes to political choices. I find it difficult to stomach small state solutions which always seem to involve the maximum misery for the greatest possible number of people.
Kelsey Grammer must be a bloody good actor as I would have thought his brilliant interpretation of the Frasier character was directly opposite to his real life positions.

Faith's a funny thing you know. Who would've thought Andy Warhol was a devout mass goer?
I suppose we should always hesitate to sum people up based on things like faith or politics. For instance I know quite a few Conservatives who are much better at caring for their fellow man than I can ever hope to be.
 mbh 15 Dec 2017
In reply to Rob Exile Ward:

At least you listened to that next part. I didn't know who he was when I turned on, part way through in the car, and liked him. On hearing the Trump stuff I was appalled, then when it turned to his faith, I turned off.

For the rest of my journey I was puzzling over whether likeable people can hold dislikable views, or whether, if they do, that makes them dislikable. On this hearing, I think liking Trump trumps being able to tell a good story in a jolly, avuncular way.
 The New NickB 15 Dec 2017
In reply to Pete Pozman:

I assume you are aware that Sir Anthony Hopkins doesn't eat human liver, Sir Ian McKellen isn't a a wizard and Sir Alec Guinness has never been in to space.
OP Pete Pozman 15 Dec 2017
In reply to The New NickB:

> I assume you are aware that Sir Anthony Hopkins doesn't eat human liver, Sir Ian McKellen isn't a a wizard and Sir Alec Guinness has never been in to space.

Thanks for helping me out with that.
 jonnie3430 15 Dec 2017
In reply to Pete Pozman:

> what is the psychology at work in Frasier's case?

Hillary Clinton
OP Pete Pozman 16 Dec 2017
In reply to jonnie3430:

> Hillary Clinton

You mean like how evil she is and all...
 Jon Stewart 16 Dec 2017
In reply to Pete Pozman:
Not only were his views obnoxiously conservative, so were the records he chose.
Post edited at 13:49

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...