UKC

Bram Crag quarry Guide

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rick Barnes 05 May 2018

Bram Crag QuarryBram Crag Quarry.

Does anyone know where the most recent guide can be found please. Last time I was there some people had paper ones downloaded from the web with a lot more routes than my FRCC Lake District Rock guide.

Any pointers or links appreciated.

Thanks

Simon King 05 May 2018
In reply to Rick Barnes:

Lake District Rock, Wired Guide?

Jon Stewart 05 May 2018
In reply to Rick Barnes:

I don't know, but I've got a book for Castle Rock, Raven Crag, Swirl Crags, Iron Crag, etc etc. Would that help?

(This is a sarcastic post btw. There's loads of really amazing rock in that valley and it's not getting climbed because it requires a bit too much effort, or something. If you've only got a couple of hours after work, then yes, Bram serves a purpose. But when you've climbed the main stuff at the quarry, the rest is going to be worse, not better...and there's a lot of alternatives that could be a lot more rewarding. I apologise if you're very much aware of this and there is some reason why Bram is a much better option.)

In reply to Rick Barnes:

A pdf guide is available, you may have to be patient though. To qualify for it you must show your bus pass. 

In reply to Rick Barnes:

There's an FRCC guide for your phone here: http://www.climbers-club.co.uk/shop/mobile-guidebook-app/

Andrew Wilson 06 May 2018
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I'm counting on "our man in Kendal" to get all the good stuff clean and chalked this summer! Keep the faith. 

Jon Stewart 08 May 2018
In reply to Andrew Wilson:

> I'm counting on "our man in Kendal" to get all the good stuff clean and chalked this summer! Keep the faith. 

Will do! Discovered that it's wise round here to take a knife and tat, as some ab points are absolutely minging, and questing on upwards is not an option. Was the case on Hell's Groove (E1 5b) yesterday. If you're up on the East Buttress, that's a great route, but do it as a single pitch up to the tat. You'll need to remove a whole load of shite and put something new in (there is so much shite that it's now impossible to add more, the whole thread is blocked with rotting bullshit, from which dangles some dust in the shape of a krab). The upper pitches, wherever they're supposed to go, look dreadful (we left gear a bit further on and abbed off).

Wild route though, amazing climbing and positions - would be a good warm up as it's really a single pitch, but expect E2 5b with a tough start. If I get up there again soon I'll do it and replace the tat as I will now be carrying a knife and whatnot on this sort of thing. Will keep you posted if I manage to clean up some old classics. Really keen to, just need the weather and partners willing to get their hands dirty!

In reply to Jon Stewart:

> Was the case on Hell's Groove (E1 5b) yesterday.

Always felt quite tough at HVS! The top pitches used to be good though, certainly if it was dry.

In reply to Rick Barnes:

> Bram Crag QuarryBram Crag Quarry.

> Does anyone know where the most recent guide can be found please. Last time I was there some people had paper ones downloaded from the web with a lot more routes than my FRCC Lake District Rock guide.

> Any pointers or links appreciated.

> Thanks

Bump

In reply to Christheclimber:

As far as I am aware, the most up-to-date version of this is the one in the Climbers' Club Wired app. This was said to be up-to-date to the end of 2016 but I think there has been a bit done since then.

Alan

Rick Graham 10 May 2018
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax:

There is bang up to date info available if you are grey, liked and local enough.

I only tick the last box, so just climb any new line of bolts, works quite well.

Not quite 200 routes atm.  Someone deserves an MBE.

In reply to Rick Graham:

> There is bang up to date info available if you are grey, liked and local enough.

Yeah I did hear that.

Great effort for bolting but selective releasing of information is an extremely dubious development.

Alan

I met a couple of climbers from the Carlisle Mountaineering Club at Robin Proctor Scar last year who had an updated topo for Bramcrag Quarry. They told me to email some of the clubs committee members for a copy. However I never received a response from any of them.

I have heard they don’t want to share the info as there could be parking issues.

Chris

Ron Kenyon 11 May 2018

There have been 3 updates to the app - which takes things up to December 2017 - so pretty well up to date.

Information was a bit sketchy early on but latterly it has been updated over time and you don't need to be grey and old !

However - unfortunately there is not an android version at the moment - so no doubt this is a problem - but being worked on.

Currently FRCC working on a sports and slate guide for the Lakes which is due in early 2019 as well.

In reply to Ron Kenyon:

> There have been 3 updates to the app - which takes things up to December 2017 - so pretty well up to date.

The text in the app says 'end of 2016' but this might not have been updated.

Alan

> Yeah I did hear that.

> Great effort for bolting but selective releasing of information is an extremely dubious development.

> Alan

Would you share draft copies of your guides with all and sundry? 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...