UKC

NEWS: British Bouldering Championships Livestreamed on BBC Sport

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 06 Jul 2018
On Sunday 8th July, the British Bouldering Championships will be livestreamed from Devonshire Green in Sheffield on BBC Sport.

Read more
 stp 08 Jul 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Wow. Congrats on your third place Natalie. Fantastic achievement to just jump in like that.

Great to see Nathan win too. A very talented climber though there's very little to split him, Matt Cousins and Dave Barrans.

I didn't make it down there but enjoyed the live stream. It's great the BMC are covering the event like that, though not too keen on the fact it was streamed by the BBC who insist on making one register first and even want your date of birth for some bizarre reason! Needless to say, probably like most people, I just made up false details so I could watch it. Which makes me wonder why do they bother?

I thought the footage was pretty good and liked the perma live scores on the screen. Even though they constantly cocked up the position of the competitors it was relatively easy to work out who was in the lead by the scores.

The commentary was a mix of OK and annoying. They don't need convey every detail when the viewer can clearly see what is happening for themselves. I like the IFSC method of having a guest co-commentator. The co-commentators are usually highly knowledgable and so can often provide valuable insights and info rather than the often repetitive ad libs and cliches and single commentators inevitably fall into.

All in all though it looked like a good and well attended event. Will the lead nationals get similar coverage?

mal_meech 09 Jul 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Any reason why only the semi’s are currently on Iplayer? Didn’t get the chance to watch yesterday and was hoping to see the final on catchup.

Dandan 09 Jul 2018
In reply to stp:

> The commentary was a mix of OK and annoying. .... The co-commentators are usually highly knowledgable and so can often provide valuable insights and info rather than the often repetitive ad libs and cliches and single commentators inevitably fall into.

Yeah, what does Gaz Parry know about climbing after all... I thought the commentary was pretty good, you could tell they were trying to avoid getting too bogged down in terminology for any newer viewers, and they made a good stab at building up the sense of excitement towards the end of the competition, places being decided on the very last climb obviously helped.

My favourite quote had to be "Alex Waterhouse really wears his heart on his sleeve. He's not wearing any sleeves but..."

Andrew Kin 09 Jul 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Great event once again.  3rd year in a row for us now.  Music still too loud Had a 3hr drive back after the event and I felt like I had been barbequed, it was sooo hot.

1st time I have seen Natalie climb.  Very composed and strong.  Climbs without taking too many risks.  Well done on 3rd place.  You look a lot younger than I imagined.

Even got a txt message from my wife saying she had seen my daughter in the crowd on tv at home. 

stp 09 Jul 2018
In reply to Dandan:

> they made a good stab at building up the sense of excitement towards the end of the competition

So for me that was what I found a bit annoying. I didn't think it was a particularly exciting finish. Nathan won by Dave Barrans failing to get up something. Hannah Slaney appeared to walk up the last problem with ease. So the attempts to generate excitement came across as a bit false, a bit OTT in my view.

jonchitt 09 Jul 2018
In reply to mal_meech:

We're working on it. It should hopefully be live soon. Keep an eye out on iPlayer.

Jon, BMC

John Gresty 09 Jul 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Just watched the semi final on I Player. Much to my surprise I watched right through to the end and really enjoyed it.

John Gresty

Jenny C 09 Jul 2018
In reply to stp:

For me watching live I struggled to hear the commentary thanks to redbull drowning it out with their music.

Semis I thought was OK on BBC and nice to have scores clearly displayed. 

mal_meech 09 Jul 2018
In reply to jonchitt:

Great, hoping it was just a “late Sunday night” delay

Alkis 09 Jul 2018
In reply to UKC News:

This article is *dying* to be called BBCs on BBCS...! :-D

galpinos 09 Jul 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Really enjoyed this, caught the end of the semis then watched the finals with my girls. My eldest really got into it. Thought the commentary was fine, quite liked Gaz, not sure who the other bloke was, no worse than some of the football commentary we've endured through this world cup.

(And well done Nat!)

simes303 09 Jul 2018
In reply to UKC News:

I was at Devonshire Green for the final and it was excellent. The music definitely wasn't too loud. Si.

Jenny C 09 Jul 2018
In reply to simes303:

We got there late so it was a choice of a poor view and straining to follow the comentary, or straining to see

AndyPagett 09 Jul 2018
In reply to simes303:

> I was at Devonshire Green for the final and it was excellent. The music definitely wasn't too loud. Si.

We didn't find the music too loud, but definitely thought Grimer's mic was too quiet. We could hear Percy fine, but missed most of Grimer's whimsical detours.  We found their commentary to be much better than the overly enthusiastic red bull youth shouting last year.

We did have to leave the park at lunchtime though, the red bull choons were eye wateringly loud whilst we were trying to eat. There was some brief respite when the system broke, but after 5 mins they managed to plug a phone in (took 4 people...!) and it was back.

Otherwise, great competition, seemed well set and well organised. Only minor gripe was the lack of live score card / clock.

Jenny C 09 Jul 2018
In reply to AndyPagett:

What you mean there was a second commentator? That might explain why Percy was making less sense than usual ... Yes second mike was woefully inadequate from where we were sitting  

jonchitt 10 Jul 2018
In reply to mal_meech:

Finals are now live on iPlayer

Jon, BMC

johncook 10 Jul 2018
In reply to stp:

They want you to register and give your details because you need a license to watch BBC, live or on iplayer. It makes it easier to trace people who are watching without one!

Jenny C 10 Jul 2018
In reply to johncook:

Same login as I player so no need to register again. 

johncook 10 Jul 2018
In reply to jonchitt:

It should all be available on BMCTV or you should do what IFSC do and start your own youtube channel. Anything on the BBC needs a license, even iplayer. I don't have a license and therefore don't watch any BBC programmes. 

If you had your own youtube channel all the video taken at recent indoor national comps could be put on there as these comps are important to up and coming young competitors.

mal_meech 10 Jul 2018
In reply to jonchitt:

> We're working on it. It should hopefully be live soon. Keep an eye out on iPlayer.

> Jon, BMC

Finals replay now available. Great to see the BBC on the BBC

Alex Messenger, BMC 10 Jul 2018
In reply to johncook:

We do have a YouTube channel, check it out here:

https://www.youtube.com/teamBMC

Last year we streamed to YouTube, but this year the opportunity developed to send the stream to the BBC but for tech and BBC reasons we couldn't also stream it to our YouTube. 

mal_meech 10 Jul 2018
In reply to jonchitt:

Thanks for the update!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...