UKC

NEWS: The Dark Side by Alex Moore and Tim Blake

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 25 Sep 2018
Alex Moore and Tim Blake recently climbed Andy Earl's The Dark Side on the North Wall of Back Bowden, with pads. The pair have taken a highball grade of 7C+ rather than the E9 7b trad grade.

Read more
 Michael Gordon 25 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Good stuff. As for the "surely you can't get a 12m E9 7B even if the climbing is nails?" comment, this is definitely a case by case basis thing. 10-12m is bloody high, particularly if the crux is near the top, not to mention the landing and whether there's gear on the route. 

Graeme Hammond 25 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Without a guide to hand can you add some context of how the route was originally climbed and graded, was it done pre/without pads?

Tim Blake 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Graeme Hammond:

It was done originally by Andy earl, he used a couple of pads (which were pretty shit at the time I bet) he got a couple of decent cams in just before the top out. 

In reply to Michael Gordon:

There are some photos online of Andy using very thin pads and poor runners at the top. We don't seem to have a UKC report from 2003 or any images. 

Dom Bush 25 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Beautiful climbing on those walls, not that I could do much of it.
Equally beautiful photos from Mark Savage.

casa 25 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

on a side note, how is Andy now?

Andrew Kin 25 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Bravo to Tim & Alex.

surely there is video of this to watch.

CragRat11 25 Sep 2018
In reply to casa:

> on a side note, how is Andy now?

I don't know Andy, but I could guess he might not want that discussed on a forum.........

beefy_legacy 25 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

The Manic Street Whatses?

In reply to UKC News:

That photo of the cut loose is brilliant.  Love the simplicity of it.  The lack of colour really adds to the drama for me too.   Future iconic photo?

Post edited at 15:01
 snoop6060 25 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

> ... like the Manic Street Peaches said, resistance is futile.

Manic Street Peaches? 

Are these a tribute act?.I mean the manics are a bit meeeh, surely they don't have a tribute act! 

Lord_ash2000 25 Sep 2018

You "in theory" could get a perfectly safe E9, as safe as well protected VS. It would just need to be stupidly hard.  

Post edited at 15:26
 whispering nic 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

Exactly, an adjectival grade can be about danger, or difficulty, or both.

Post edited at 16:44
 Michael Gordon 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Lord_ash2000:

> You "in theory" could get a perfectly safe E9, as safe as well protected VS. It would just need to be stupidly hard.  

Of course. And just because it was less than 12m doesn't mean folk are going to boulder it out.

Wft 25 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Really inspiring climbing from the 3 of them

”'We're not looking for high E grades, we're looking for longer climbs of outstanding quality and difficult moves in relative safety; The Dark Side delivered. Why have two good moves when you could have ten? Highball problems are the perfect answer.'”

Perfect, very motivating just as the weather turns crisp 

Post edited at 16:59
In reply to Wft: Yes VG! Let’s get ot Highballing this winter!!

Also been wondering, in the round up of the day’s climbing for the “pair”, a third person’s ascents are also mentioned named only as “Dan”... but it isn’t clear who this is... is it Dan Varian? Or someone else? Or have I missed them being mentioned!?

Tyler 25 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Whatever the grading system used Sign of the Devil looks:

a) Brilliant

b) Very high

c) A perfect route/high ball 

When you are as old or as knackered as me there's no such thing as a highball, there are boulder problems and routes, anything over 12 feet high represents a significant risk of injury regardless of the number of pads!

SteveSBlake 25 Sep 2018
In reply to Duncan Campbell:

Yes, the same evening Dan Varian warmed up on Over the Edge, on- sighted Peak Technique then did the Tube, followed by a hybrid Morgan/Merlin; the bottom of the former into the top of the latter.

Steve

Post edited at 18:08
 Tom Last 25 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News

That pic of the cut loose is absolutely outstanding.  

sfletch 25 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Tough week for someone who doesn’t know our grading system.

The other day we had an E8 that’s supposedly f7a and now a Font 7C+ that was originally given E9.

f7a, Font 7C+ and only one E grade between them. No wonder Team America were confused. 

Tom Briggs 26 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

What's really impressive about this is not that they highballed it, but that they did it ground up. It is way, way more difficult in this style and way more scary (even with a lot of pads). Even if the top is OK, if you're pumped and you don't know the moves then you could easily screw it up and fall off awkwardly. If you have something dialled you can just motor through without thinking.

Hats off to these two!

Steve Crowe Global Crag Moderator 26 Sep 2018
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

Andy had pre inspected Dark Side and took one cam of the appropriate size however on the actual ascent he changed his sequence and found that he could'nt place it where he expected so he just rammed the poor cam into the break and continued...

You can read the full Andy Earl story here http://www.climbonline.co.uk/andy_earl.htm

Post edited at 10:17
 Bulls Crack 26 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

I remember positioning a rucksack with a coat stuffed in it over a rock under Transformer or similar at Bowden in 1982/3 and wondering of people would consider it cheating. 

Times have changed...thankfully!

Andy Say 26 Sep 2018

Was it not Allan Austin's maxim that if you could jump off the crux and walk away it couldn't be more than VS?

Therein lies the birth of many a Yorkshire sandbag.....

Michael Gordon 26 Sep 2018
In reply to Andy Say:

I have personal experience of this on one of his Ravensheugh routes. VS that feels like E2!

Lemony 26 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

My main takeaway from this is that there are routes at back bowden that Dan hasn't done*.

*other than that bonkers looking Watson prow.

FreshSlate 26 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Interesting fuel to the grade debate. I'd be interested to know more about how they approach making a highball 'safe'  

I assume that there's an element of getting hold of as many pads as you can. How many did they manage scrape together? Do they try to 'roll it out' and pad accordingly? How are the knees after a few big falls? 

Arms Cliff 26 Sep 2018
In reply to FreshSlate:

Excellent post from Dan V on the other channel with some detail on Howlerhirst climb and the general approach.

Tyler 26 Sep 2018
In reply to sfletch:

> The other day we had an E8 that’s supposedly f7a and now a Font 7C+ that was originally given E9.

Keep up! The E8 was Font 6b+, it was the E10 that was Font 7a. The E9 was always font 7C+. There was also another font 7C+ which was as high but with a worse landing but that was never worthy of an E grade! Hope that's cleared things up

Post edited at 17:42
 Andy Say 26 Sep 2018
In reply to Tyler:

>  Keep up! The E8 was Font 6b+, it was the E10 that was Font 7a. The E9 was always font 7C+. There was also another font 7C+ which was as high but with a worse landing but that was never worthy of an E grade! Hope that's cleared things up

USBRIT 28 Sep 2018
In reply to UKC News:

Very impressive and it takes balls to maybe fall from this height ,however its debatable if it is on sight ground up if all the holds are chalk marked.Maybe I am being picky? 

Tim Blake 28 Sep 2018
In reply to USBRIT: it wasn’t on sighted, just to clear that  

Post edited at 00:58
 Fishmate 15 Oct 2018
In reply to FreshSlate:

> I'd be interested to know more about how they approach making a highball 'safe'  

If you look at the first picture in the article, there is a gap in the pad set-up big enough to cradle a baby!  I guess their approach to safety is 'throw pads down and get to work'.   I suspect that is more a comment on the level of their focus to the task in hand, but I wouldn't want to look down above 4-5m and see that below me..

Post edited at 16:45

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...