UKC

Tips for wild camping?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 brockley_buzz 29 Dec 2018

Hi,

I am planning to do the Fisherfield 6 in the summer with my partner, over 3-4 days.  It is the first time we have done wild camping/backpacking in Scotland.  I have walked and climbed in Scotland quite a lot but stayed at hostels before.  We are experienced at navigating too.

Does anyone know of a good book or website which could give tips about wild camping?

Thanks!

JimHolmes69 29 Dec 2018
In reply to brockley_buzz:

We did this walk this year. We camped by the copse north of the Bothy and walked the 6 hills the next day, further, but not carrying much. You can take lots into the campsite then. Go before June and then your not plagued with midges. The walk is fantastic so save it for a good clear day. But it is a long way. Nothing too difficult and some wonderful memories. 

The walk to the copse is about 10 km, so you don’t need to be mad light. It is better to camp than stay in the busy bothy. But go with settled weather and you shouldn’t have too much trouble.

Have a great time and good luck.

marsbar 29 Dec 2018

If you haven’t camped much before you could plan a weekend on a campsite to try out all your kit before you go.

Removed User 29 Dec 2018

What is it that you feel unsure about?

Find a bit of flat ground that won't flood if there's a downpour. Put your tent up so you can sleep with your head uphill.

Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photographs.

Removed User 29 Dec 2018

make sure to stop at least half an hour before dark to find a suitable site-finding one in the dark is a lot harder. Since you will be spending quite some time lying down on this ground, actually test it by lying down on it first. As has been said, if all you can find is sloping ground, sleep with your head uphill. If you not camped at all before then practice in your back garden.

bouldery bits 29 Dec 2018

Sounds a fab adventure!

I recommend a one night wild camp using the kit you intend to use to fine tune things before hand.

Sleeping out wild is one of my favourite things.

I would recommend going for short walks with your backpack packed with all the things you will be taking with you, for several weeks before you go. During this process you will be able to fine-tune the contents and position of everything in the sack and also the straps. This way you will be psychologically used to the weight of the sack and absolutely ready to embark on your adventure.

My other piece of advice is to take some decent food with you - it is the only luxury you will have - and not just rely on dried food, which I get totally sick of after just a few days, and it doesn't really seem to hit the spot! One of my mottos (after the age of 19) has always been "weight in food is well worth carrying".

Post edited at 00:04
 petenebo 30 Dec 2018

http://www.christownsendoutdoors.com/p/biography.html

Lots of stuff in his blog archive.

Trangia 30 Dec 2018

A few tips I've picked up over decades of wild camping:-

Keep the weight of food down by removing needless packaging and repacking using sandwich bags and cling film, ideally packed in individual meal sizes. Pasta is great for wild camping; provides carbohydrates and is compact and is bulked up by adding water. Take a couple of tubes of paste like tomato puree to give it flavour.

Space in a lightweight tent is likely to be at a premium so carry a tough dustbin liner and you can put things, like boots etc, you won't need overnight in it and keep it just outside the tent door flap.

Take a few peddle bin liners for carrying out rubbish, and or burn flammable stuff - but obviously with extreme care to avoid any risk of setting fire to surrounding.vegetation

Tufts of grass mixed with a bit of water make ideal scourers for cleaning a cooking pan, particularly if you burn food in it.

A good night's rest is worth a lot, so get a good sleeping bag and insulating mat. The advantage of closed cell foam over something like a thermarest is that it won't puncture, but if you want to use the latter don't forget to carry a small puncture repair kit.

Keep your sleeping bag dry! Pack it in a dry bag or similar. If everything else gets wet, at least you will sleep dry. I prefer to use a down for compactness, lightness and warmth - so keeping it dry is very important.

Choosing a camp pitch is important. As others have said find as level a site as you can and pitch the tent so that your head is uphill. Beware of hollows which could fill with water if it rains, and when camping close to a stream look at the surrounding lay of the land to establish where it could rise and flood in a downpour.

Dig a hole a defecate (carry a trowel) and don't do it, or urinate near a stream. burn toilet paper in the hole before filling it in.

Spare head torch bulb and batteries. I also carry a tiny repair kit of needles and thread which has proved invaluable more than once when I've torn clothing, lost buttons etc. it fits in my small first aid kit. Tweezers in the first aid kit have also proved invaluable. I once tripped and fell into dense and very prickly Maquis in Corsica. Without tweezers I would have had to abandon the trip as with the help of my climbing partner we had to extract about 100 thorns from my palms, legs and back.

Depending on where there is water available you may want to consider carry water sterilisation tablets.

GrahamD 30 Dec 2018

I'd say do a dry run on your nutrition.  It's too easy to be left eating low nutrition noodles ( worth checking that what you carry has enough calories !). Depending on your taste, compact, high flavour oily or fatty stuff is great in the evening.  Salami, chorizo, parmesan, sardines in oil sort of idea.

marsbar 30 Dec 2018

Some food ideas here 

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/off_belay/camping_food_-_what_do_you_take...

Soreen/malt loaf keeps well and tastes good even squashed. 

Tubes of cheese spread and pitta breads or wraps survive better than sandwiches.  

Sundried tomatoes add flavour without too much weight.  

Look in the supermarket for food in pouches instead of tins. 

I usually have instant porridge in the mornings, mix in some milk power  then just add boiling water.  Much easier to wash up than real porridge.  If I’m going to be walking all day I have 2 sachets.  

Post edited at 12:54

Get yourself a copy of the Backpackers Handbook by Chris Townsend.  Everything you'll need to know and more besides lies within.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Backpackers-Handbook-4th-Chris-Townsend/dp/0071754...

You might also want to have a look at his blog site too.

http://www.christownsendoutdoors.com

T.

Edit: I see the blog's been recommended already.  Still, better twice than not at all.

Post edited at 14:32
 Robert Durran 30 Dec 2018

Take any stale bread you have lying around. You'll be hungry enough to eat it whereas at home it will probably go to waste. Works generally for all hillwalking days.

Flinticus 30 Dec 2018

Don't camp too near streams: the sound of running water can play tricks with the senses. When doozing off it can begin to sound like nearby voices etc.

As you near the end of the day's walking begin noting potential pitches. Its hard to judge a pitch in the dark.

Be familiar with your tent and know any 'quibbles' (e.g. do poles need to be inserted a particular end first etc.)

If you have a water bladder keep it in the porch and feed the tube through the door. Keep the bite valve off the floor (inadvertant pressure will open the valve) Had one in my tent before that slowly leaked overnight...

Post edited at 14:36
In reply to Flinticus:

> Don't camp too near streams: the sound of running water can play tricks with the senses.

No, camp near streams - the sound of running water is very soothing. Also useful for the water supply.

DaveHK 30 Dec 2018
In reply to Flinticus:

> Don't camp too near streams: the sound of running water can play tricks with the senses. When doozing off it can begin to sound like nearby voices etc.

I think what you actually mean is 'don't eat any strange mushrooms'.

In reply to Robert Durran:

> No, camp near streams - the sound of running water is very soothing. 

Alternatively, the sound of running water can make you want to get out of your pit and have a pee.  To each their own.

T.

Root1 30 Dec 2018

Walk in to Shenavall and cross both rivers and camp in Gleann na Muice at grid ref: 048 785 The next day you can leave your tent to do the round and finish back at your tent. It saves carrying the tent on the round and you can walk out the next day. 

The Fisherfields Fantastic.

Jobs a goodun!

In reply to GrahamD:

Yes- 

breakfast: porridge + dried fruit + honey

evening meal: pasta + passata + chorizo + dried herbs

golden syrup cake makes a good pudding

Make sure you save some space to take wine....

a menu that has served me well for 20-odd years now! 

In reply to Pursued by a bear:

> Alternatively, the sound of running water can make you want to get out of your pit and have a pee.  To each their own.

That's reminded me of the most important thing - take a pee bottle.

OP brockley_buzz 30 Dec 2018

Fantastic tips!  Thank you so much everyone

Siward 30 Dec 2018
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

A wine box is light and holds 4 bottles. A 3 litre bottle of cider makes a great water bottle too. 

In reply to Siward:

> A wine box is light and holds 4 bottles.

yes- on our last trip we took 3 of them. 

It was enough, just...

CurlyStevo 31 Dec 2018

Best tip is to go before the midgies really pick up in mid to late May.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...