UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Inis Mór: On the Edge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 18 Jan 2019
Inis Mór: on the edgeOur Friday Night Video this week takes us to Inis Mór, the biggest of Ireland's Aran Islands. Steve McClure teams up with Irish legend Ricky Bell for a mission to the wild island. The sheer cliffs are famous for their unrelenting sport routes, but can they succeed in their trad mission? A new film by Ben Pritchard for BMC TV in collaboration Marmot.

Read more
 Drexciyan 18 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Cat is out the bag - incredible place!

Dominic Green 18 Jan 2019

Absolutely brilliant, I hope it gets developed now, it's about time.

Wft 18 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Great video, such a lovely vibe. 

The Fox 18 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Wow! Looks an amazing place for folks to think about. 

Ah, go on, go, on, go on, go on...

Tom Valentine 18 Jan 2019
In reply to The Fox:

Tedfest 21-24 February.

But you won't find the shipwreck on that particular Aran Island.

pasbury 18 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

I’ve always found it strange that Inis Mor has never been acknowledged as one of the finest crags in the world. It is a truly mind blowing place.

Can a crag be a world class climbing venue even if various ethical and practical constraints prevent it from being developed?

Also the islands are culturally unique and very precious.

Andy Donson 19 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Due to epic guidebook reading fail by the team, the amazing new trad route at the end is actually the likely second ascent of "Frame By Frame" - a route Nick Wheeler and I put up 25 years ago. Steve has been notified so hopefully the next guidebook clears that up. Great to see the route again as a movie though.

Tigger 20 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Just don't tell Garry else there be nowt left for the rest of us.

paul mitchell 20 Jan 2019
In reply to Tigger:

Isle of Lewis,similar amounts of rock.Plenty of trad pro.On sightable projects,from v diff up to E9.Mebbe E9 will  not be on sighted...

Post edited at 15:46
 Michael Gordon 20 Jan 2019
In reply to Andy Donson:

Looks like some place. How much existing trad is there then? From the video I get the impression the cliffs are just too steep and compact for easier stuff, though nothing wrong with one route every 500m or so...

Tom Valentine 20 Jan 2019
In reply to pasbury:

Climbers who go with family should be sure to include a visit to the fort at Dun Aengus:  be aware, though, that the cliff edge formed part of the defence and has not been spoiled by  fences, barriers and the like.......

GDes 20 Jan 2019
In reply to paul mitchell:

I'm not sure, but I think this thread is about Inis Mor...

paul mitchell 20 Jan 2019
In reply to GDes:

Indeed.I thought the point the video made was that  opportunity for trad was limited,but that there is a vast amount of unclimbed rock.Lewis has clean,solid rock,in vast amounts.Classic trad  lines.Just  a point of information.I did think UKC  functioned as a facility for information.

Andy Donson 21 Jan 2019
In reply to Michael Gordon:

There’s a website that’s pretty easy to find which will give you an idea of what to expect - it’s not all gearless caves but it’s no Pembroke either. If you make the effort to get there you’ll find stuff to do. 

Michael Gordon 21 Jan 2019
In reply to paul mitchell:

>I thought the point the video made was that opportunity for trad was limited, but that there is a vast amount of unclimbed rock. Lewis has clean, solid rock, in vast amounts.

But much less of it is unclimbed!

jon 21 Jan 2019
In reply to Andy Donson:

> There’s a website that’s pretty easy to find which will give you an idea of what to expect - it’s not all gearless caves but it’s no Pembroke either. If you make the effort to get there you’ll find stuff to do. 

I found your route plus 77 others in the Burren and Aran Islands guide. It's already 11 years old so there must be dozens more routes now. Congrats, by the way, for beating such a distinguished team to the route! By 25 years too!

James Oswald 21 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Looks great. 

JLS 21 Jan 2019
In reply to Dominic Green:

>”Absolutely brilliant, I hope it gets developed now, it's about time.”

I hope the developers have the foresight to put titanium bolts in the sport routes...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...