UKC

Old Trad, Chapel Head Scar

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Emilio Bachini 03 Aug 2020

Good evening, can anyone provide any informtion or description about the routes Atomic Bong (E1 5b) and Chain Reaction (E3 5c). Neither has had a logged ascent in over 20 years and I don't own any guidebooks that cover  Chapel Head Scar from that long ago. So if there's anyone out there able to describe them or have any information it'd much appreciated and I'll get it written up on here. Same applies to any of the other less travelled trad routes without description at Chapel Head. Thanks, Emilio. 

Derek Furze 04 Aug 2020
In reply to Emilio Bachini:

I've not got much to offer, but I did Atomic Bong in June 79, the same day we did a new route on the banned section in error (Thunderchild at HVS).  I remember Atomic Bong being decent.  Also did Cygnus X1, the girdle of the main buttress, which was really entertaining, later that month.  That did an easy approach pitch on the right of the buttress before traversing in three pitches.  One involved a quite spectacular descent and the last was quite delicate (probably joining Atomic Bong if memory is anything to go by....  If you can get hold of Dave Knighton or Dave Cronshaw, they would probably know all the details.

Rick Graham 04 Aug 2020
In reply to Derek Furze:

Regarding Cygnus x1 , this is not mentioned in either the frcc 2012 Eden and South Lakes limestone  or 2020 wired lakes sport. I cannot find my Lancashire brick ATM, I think it would be in there.

If anybody has one they could maybe photo and email it to Emilio.

scottashworth 04 Aug 2020
In reply to Emilio Bachini: No direct knowledge of the routes in question (although I think a mate of mine fell off Chain Reaction). I am not sure if the descriptions from the Kelly/Cronshaw guide are what you are after, hope they are of some help.

petegunn 04 Aug 2020

Atomic Bomb and Chain Reaction are both in the FRCC Eden Valley & South Lakes guide 2012.

AB at E2 5b (36m)

CR at E3 5c 50m (21m & 26m)

Sent you an email so if you reply I can attach the descriptions 👍

Pete

Post edited at 13:48
 petegunn 04 Aug 2020
In reply to Rick Graham:

Cygnus X1 is in the Lancashire "brick" I will take a photo and send it over Emilio.

Many thanks all, I'll get them updated tomorrow. Or rather later today. 

Post edited at 00:23
 Hammy 05 Aug 2020

https://photos.app.goo.gl/YVAMt4x5gPMubW229

Heres a link to photos of route descriptions 

Derek Furze 05 Aug 2020
In reply to Hammy:

Good work Graham!  Have you got copies of everything to hand!?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...