UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: A Dream of Edwin Drummond: The Great Wall

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 26 Mar 2021
The Great Wall

This week's Friday Night Video is a clip from Paul Diffley/Hot Aches Productions' latest feature: A Dream of Edwin Drummond. The commentary in the film comes from Ed's wonderful essay, 'Great Wall', which was published in Ken Wilson's 'Hard Rock' and is considered to be one of the finest climbing essays ever written. The essay describes Ed's internal monologue as he struggles to make an early repeat one of the hardest routes of the day, Great Wall, on the mighty Welsh cliff of Clogwyn Du'r Arddu.

Read more
 pneame 26 Mar 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Superb - really brought out an era. 

In reply to UKC News:

It's very well done, but I simply cannot believe the howler at 1:10: Clogwyn d'ur Arddu pronounced 'Ardoo'. The kind of way that ignorant southerners (including myself) would say it in c.1966. I cannot believe for one second that Ed Drummond would have pronounced it incorrectly in 1974 having spent so much time in North Wales among local climbers. It's as weird to my (English) ears as hearing Craig Ddu in the Pass pronounced Craig Doo, or Lliwedd 'Lilly-wed' (I actually heard that once!)

Post edited at 21:37
 Derek Ryden 28 Mar 2021
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

> 'I cannot believe for one second that Ed Drummond would have pronounced it incorrectly in 1974 having spent so much time in North Wales among local climbers. '

I felt guilty for thinking exactly the same thing.

And on the subject of howlers, the hook he is shown carrying is a very, very modern one, and nothing like any that were available at the time. I'm disappointed to realise what a pedant I am, but these two inaccuracies did take some of the edge off for me.

diff 28 Mar 2021
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Hi Gordon, I am sorry about the errors in pronunciation, I was made aware of them after I had recorded the audio with the voice over actor, but I didn't have the budget to re-record. So apologies to any Welsh speakers or folk whose ears maybe offended by this piece. And a big thanks to yourself for highlighting this error to the world.

Diff  

diff 28 Mar 2021
In reply to Derek Ryden:

Dear Derek, I am deeply sorry that the use of the modern rurp / peg thing ruined your enjoyment of the piece. What surprised me most is that no one has yet spotted the modern DMM Dragon cam hanging off Caff's harness. 

In reply to diff

I thoroughly enjoyed that, it’s great to hear Ed’s description of the ascent with the film. Didn’t realise it was Caff climbing. The cam, wiregate crab or the pronunciation, didn’t detract from this excellent film.  Come to think if it Arddu was pronounced in the way we did for years. Keep up the good work.

Chris

In reply to UKC News:

Super - I really enjoyed it and lovely to hear his Great Wall essay read out. Just been and got my copy of Dream of White Horses out for a read. I still pronounce Cloggy with the "Ardoo" ending so thanks Paul for getting it right in the film. Enjoyed the long Hope Interview too. 

Graham Hoey 01 Apr 2021
In reply to diff:

You'd better be careful before you make a film about Dow Crag or Scafell!!

Nice one diff, brought back many good memories!

Post edited at 11:01

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...