UKC

ARTICLE: Feeding the Rat - A Climber's Life on the Edge of Edibility

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 28 Apr 2021
The colourful approach to climbing food.

Toby Dunn relives some of his finest, unusual, and sometimes disgusting food choices on climbing trips over the years.

Read more
 Michael Gordon 28 Apr 2021
In reply to UKC Articles:

I enjoyed this. Most entertaining, and I don't envy some of the food choices!

65 28 Apr 2021

Good article. I look forward to a 1980s nostalgia piece about surviving a weekend of Clachaig bridies and late Sunday night fish supper from the Ben Fong.

My first Andouillette and Tete de Veau in France are seared into my memory, (in a good way, I've had many more since) and I'll never forget the first pork shoulder in Spain that was bleeding all over the plate; "This is how we eat it." It's how I eat it now as well.

Ridge 28 Apr 2021
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> I enjoyed this. Most entertaining, and I don't envy some of the food choices!

I enjoyed it too, like all the pieces by Toby I've read so far.

shantaram 29 Apr 2021
In reply to UKC Articles: Great article. Really enjoyed that Toby. It brought back memories of a 6 week trip to the Verdon at 18 where we survived on dinners of pasta flavoured with packet soup, occasionally adding an egg for protein. 

Toby Dunn 29 Apr 2021

Thank you very much for the appreciation,  I enjoyed reading the experiences above as well.  I think that everyone has eaten some pretty interesting things on climbing trips, good, bad and truly repulsive.  

BRILLBRUM 29 Apr 2021

Had Andouillette  in Roscoff waiting for the ferry home. Now I'm a fan of offal and willing to try anything and so I tried this. Lets just say that the time betwixt forking the rancid, honking chitterling sausage in to my mouth and it exploding out of me via both available exits was very, very short and my apologies for the state of the toilet to the café owner were profuse.

Rick Stein loves it by all accounts!

Great article though Toby!

Post edited at 12:52
 maxd 29 Apr 2021

Great article. Thanks Toby. I remember a mate buying some pig's cheese in Mallorca (pack had a picture of a pig on it) to go with his baguette. Much mirth resulted when it turned out to be a pack of lard!

psborland 29 Apr 2021

A great read !

gethin_allen 29 Apr 2021

Reminds me of the trying to get a refund for some cakes we bought at a cafe near Siurana which had a good strong whiff of cats piss about them. The smell made us all wretch but the cafe owner took a long sniff and looked at us blankly exclaiming that there's nothing wrong with them.

Toby Dunn 29 Apr 2021
In reply to maxd:

> Great article. Thanks Toby. I remember a mate buying some pig's cheese in Mallorca (pack had a picture of a pig on it) to go with his baguette. Much mirth resulted when it turned out to be a pack of lard!

That's a brilliant one! Although at least he could have fried the bread in it later...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...