UKC

What is the recipe for a great sunrise?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 elliot.baker 07 Oct 2022

Is there a recipe for a great sunrise? I'm thinking in terms of:

- Local topology / elevation / orientation 

- weather / temperature etc.

- cloud cover / type

- season etc.?

Given all of this is it possible to look at a weather forecast and say "aha tomorrow morning in location X there is a strong chance of seeing a great sunrise."?

Sealwife 07 Oct 2022
In reply to elliot.baker:

Hmmm, I see some cracking sunrises from my house and in an entirely non-scientific way, these are factors that appear in my view from the living room.

A good view to the east.  Mine is varied, loch, farmland, some houses and in one part, I can see the sea and the horizon.

Most of the spectacular sunrises I see are in the winter, but that could be because, living so far north, summer sunrises occur while I’m asleep.

Thick cloud cover isn’t good as it just gets lighter grey.  No cloud is usually not as spectacular as having some.

Some of the best I’ve seen have been when there was snow on the ground.  I don’t know if it’s a contrast thing or if it’s something more weather/pressure related.

AllanMac 07 Oct 2022

Autumnal anticyclonic (high pressure) weather conditions can be stunning, as there is very often a cloud inversion. Best seen from as high a viewpoint as possible. Surrounding hills look like islands in a sea of mist.  

Robert Durran 07 Oct 2022

High cloud coming from the west (probably approaching front) and overhead but very clear sky to the east. The cloud will then go red.

Snowy mountains lit by the rising sun to the west.

Post edited at 14:02
OP elliot.baker 07 Oct 2022
In reply to Sealwife:

Your view sounds amazing!! I can't complain, I have some woods behind some more houses. We get to see the sunset over the woods in the distance.

getting up in time to see the sun rise...?

Toerag 07 Oct 2022

Lots of dust in the atmosphere.

But far more importantly, you need to have first been at an all-night rave, or be doing the walk of shame, or even better...both!

Best sunrise I've had was walking back to camp from the Alderney Week Quarry party. The sun was rising blood-red over the Cherbourg peninsula in exactly the same place that the full moon had risen blood-red when I was walking to the party the evening before .

FactorXXX 07 Oct 2022

> Is there a recipe for a great sunrise?

Tequila, orange juice and grenadine. 

bouldery bits 07 Oct 2022

Company. 

bouldery bits 07 Oct 2022
In reply to bouldery bits:

Or, solitude. 

A shepherd's warning. But being alive and awake for another sunrise is always good news.

Post edited at 19:30
 Billhook 07 Oct 2022

Very disappointing.  

I thought this was a post about a new cocktail.

MikeR 07 Oct 2022

Look for a warm front approaching from the west, ideally just west of the uk on the 0600 chart, with a clear skies the day before. 

Bulls Crack 08 Oct 2022

The Earths rotation?

streapadair 08 Oct 2022

Get a dog, take him for his morning walk at around sunrise. There were 7 minutes between these 2 shots.

bouldery bits 09 Oct 2022
In reply to streapadair:

Top tier.

Something in the foreground such as trees, a lake, mountains or even a low lying mist.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...