UKC

VIDEO: Flashed Bouldering Pads: Totally Bombproof

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Videos 09 May 2023

Whilst Flashed is an established brand in North America, they only entered the UK market last year. Initial impressions at the Outdoor Trade Show were positive, with an absolutely bombproof design, a robust carrying system, and all the straps and buckles in both the right quantities and the right places. Since their arrival, we've put two of their pads - The Big Squishy and the Drifter - through their paces. Here's how we got on…

Watch the video: https://www.ukclimbing.com/videos/play.php?i=6087

afx22 10 May 2023
In reply to UKC Videos:

Thanks for the review.

How would you compare the Big Squishy to an Organic Big Pad?

In reply to afx22:

> How would you compare the Big Squishy to an Organic Big Pad?

The biggest difference is the foam/feel. The Organic Big Pad has quite a firm feel out the box, to the extent that it can actually feel quite harsh within the first few months of use, after which it beds in to give a great landing. In recent years it's become my secondary pad, but for a long time - and during my most active phase bouldering - it received a battering day-in, day-out and has lasted impressively well as a result of this.

The Big Squishy is significantly softer to land on in comparison and is probably a bit nicer out of the box as a result of this, but I think my concern is that things tend to soften and if it softened up much more it might be a little too soft. Construction wise it actually features the same soft-firm-soft 'sandwich' as the Big Pad, with an identical 13cm depth, but in spite of this it has a very different feel. 

Where the Big Squishy blows the Big Pad away is within its back system (which is a cut above) and within its multi-pad strap (which is such a good idea I'm amazed no other brand has done something like it). The Big Squishy also features a higher denier nylon outer(1680d vs. 1050d) Given how hard wearing The Big Pad is (mine is still in good condition 8 years after I first reviewed it) makes me think that The Big Squishy's casing is never - shy of something nuclear - ever going to wear out...

Arms Cliff 10 May 2023
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

> The Big Squishy also features a higher denier nylon outer(1680d vs. 1050d) Given how hard wearing The Big Pad is (mine is still in good condition 8 years after I first reviewed it) makes me think that The Big Squishy's casing is never - shy of something nuclear - ever going to wear out...

that’s mad! Thicker outer fabric never cropped up as a thing I thought needed changing on my Organic Pads! 

In reply to Arms Cliff:

> that’s mad! Thicker outer fabric never cropped up as a thing I thought needed changing on my Organic Pads! 

I know, they're absolutely bombproof, so I'm not sure what that makes the Flashed Pads - nukeproof?!

climber34neil 10 May 2023

Seriously though,  better than an old beer towel ?? I'm not convinced 

afx22 11 May 2023

Thanks for comprehensive answer.  It’s much appreciated.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...