UKC

Friend sizes 0.5 to 5 were so simple why was it reinvented

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 paul wood 29 Jan 2024

I know I am going to get called a dinosaur but........

Michael Hood 29 Jan 2024
In reply to paul wood:

You have to at least say something along the lines of "what was wrong with stacked hexentrics?" to be considered Jurassic.

Even older epithets are available 😁

Post edited at 19:06
 Andy Hardy 30 Jan 2024
In reply to paul wood:

Is this because the smaller ones are sized in that new fangled decimal system?

Should be labelled 3/4, 1/2, 2/5, 3/10 and 1/5 for clarity.

beardy mike 30 Jan 2024
In reply to paul wood:

I got you bruh.

The old system was based on 1", 2", 3". Because a cam lobe is a logarithmic spiral, that means that to acheive a logical and smooth progression, the increase in size of the centre opening dimension of the cam should also increase logarithmically. Choosing 1, 2, 3 and half inches in-between is a linear progression which means the sizing bunches together and makes no sense at all. It was done for purely historical reasons, because that's how the extrusion tooling was made. So if you want to have gaps in your range of cams, carry on. If you want a range of cams where there are no gaps between sizes and where each cam has exactly the same amount of opening per cam unit, then you should look at the WC one because they are the only ones which actually follow that principle. DMM are close, BD really isn't and Metolius is still random...

OP paul wood 30 Jan 2024
In reply to beardy mike:

Ah nice I didn't realise the numbers were inches. 

LastBoyScout 30 Jan 2024
In reply to Michael Hood:

> You have to at least say something along the lines of "what was wrong with stacked hexentrics?" to be considered Jurassic.

> Even older epithets are available 😁

Stacked Moacs?

Nick1812P 30 Jan 2024
In reply to paul wood:

Why did you think it was so simple then? To you it was a completely unrelated number?

beardy mike 30 Jan 2024
In reply to paul wood:

Yes, when you look at a US guidebook you'll see that that is how they list the gear you need for a route, or aleast it was 30 years ago. They'd say cams between .5" and 2". The reason the numbers were changed was simply to fit in with the competitors numbering system. In the upper sizes the size to inch is still broadly correct but it breaks down a bit below 1. I argued for maintaining the midrange inch dimension as the number but I was shot down in a burning ball of fire by marketing who though having a 0.45 size was ridiculous 🤣

Paul at work 30 Jan 2024
In reply to paul wood:

The original WC Technical cams they weren't sized in inches. Look at the Wild Country book - https://www.wildcountry.com/media/pdf/c9/92/40/Wild-Country-Cam-book.pdf

An old Size 1 cam had the range of 19–29mm, an old Size 2 cam had the range of 29–44mm, an old Size 3 cam had the range of 43–66mm. So perhaps it was closer to 1 finger, 2 fingers, 3 fingers. I know that's how I use to check which size to use. 

Rick Graham 30 Jan 2024
In reply to Paul at work:

My take is that the original size one friend was the smallest size that worked with the original rigid stem. 

As you note , all full larger sizes just overlap, allowing logical half sizes in between.

As Mike notes, other manufacturers sort of overlap/ progressive sizes.

Twin axle cams tend to have a larger range, different manufacturers have alterative takes on what is a number one. Colour coding is also a bit of a mess.

Paul at work 30 Jan 2024
In reply to Rick Graham:

> My take is that the original size one friend was the smallest size that worked with the original rigid stem. 

>

That is a probably closer to the truth. 

beardy mike 30 Jan 2024
In reply to Paul at work:

I seem to remember it was the top end of the range, but even that doesn't quite work. Would make the upper end of a 3 75mm.

beardy mike 30 Jan 2024
In reply to Rick Graham:

I'll have to dig out my excel spreadsheet which shows the inconsistency of the old numbers - the old friends were really all over the place. Anyway, the change was in response to moving to double axle cams and them trying to make it all as consistent as possible. Colours and numbers were carried over from competitiors so that it's easy for people with a mixed rack.

Robert Durran 30 Jan 2024
In reply to beardy mike:

I was always under the impression that the Camalot sizes (now adopted by WC and DMM) were in inches to go along with the US tendency to describe crack widths in inches. I don't have one to hand but I would have thought an old size Frend 2, say, was somewhat narrower than two inches, whereas a new "gold" size 2 would be about two inches.

Michael Hood 30 Jan 2024
In reply to Rick Graham:

> My take is that the original size one friend was the smallest size that worked with the original rigid stem. 

And what about the size 1/2 rigid stem; a work of beauty 😁

Rick Graham 30 Jan 2024

> And what about the size 1/2 rigid stem; a work of beauty 😁

Nah. Only lasted a few months before the flexi half came out.

Michael Gordon 30 Jan 2024
In reply to beardy mike:

> Yes, when you look at a US guidebook you'll see that that is how they list the gear you need for a route, or aleast it was 30 years ago. They'd say cams between .5" and 2". 

I'm hoping that has changed! I'd have to go through the cams to work out which was 2 inches. Much easier just to say e.g. "cams up to red".

john arran 30 Jan 2024
In reply to Robert Durran:

This whole inches thing is a nonsense, as beardy mike explained earlier. Attempting to keep numbering even vaguely related to inches is destined either to failure or to a suboptimal range of sizes, because inches simply don't 'grow' in the same way that cam ranges do. If I were a new manufacturer I'd be tempted to label sizes completely differently, maybe using letters instead of numbers. Maybe A,B,C,... for main sizes and α,β,γ,... for micros so they both can be open ended and future proof.

camstoppa 30 Jan 2024
In reply to paul wood:

Look on the bright side, most manufacturers' colour schemes are now mostly a bit similar...

FactorXXX 30 Jan 2024

> And what about the size 1/2 rigid stem; a work of beauty 😁

Is that the titanium one with the double cord system?
If so, I've still got one.

beardy mike 30 Jan 2024

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong. Definite possibility... but even if its BD its still a load of rubbish... well it is unless you find the middle of the range and call it by that number. Then it'd be vaguely useful.

Post edited at 19:59
 Robert Durran 30 Jan 2024
In reply to john arran:

> This whole inches thing is a nonsense, as beardy mike explained earlier. Attempting to keep numbering even vaguely related to inches is destined either to failure or to a suboptimal range of sizes, because inches simply don't 'grow' in the same way that cam ranges do.

Yes, but it does seem to roughly work for the original Camalot sizes 1,2,3,4 I had in the eighties (the entire range of the first model https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camalot), but maybe struggled as more sizes were added.

> If I were a new manufacturer I'd be tempted to label sizes completely differently, maybe using letters instead of numbers. Maybe A,B,C,... for main sizes and α,β,γ,... for micros so they both can be open ended and future proof.

I think I might just label them by colour; what everyone calls them now anyway!

Post edited at 20:05
 Jamie Wakeham 30 Jan 2024
In reply to camstoppa:

There's only one thing wrong with Totems, and that's that their colours are wrong!

It's possible that this annoys me more than it really should.

Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 30 Jan 2024
In reply to paul wood:

I’ve been using the latest WC flexi Friends for 2 or 3 years now. 

The first Friend I ever owned, I actually retrieved from a stuck placement on Lubyanka in 1980.  As a fresh faced 17 year old, I was absolutely made up! It was a rigid Friend 2.

I’ve used countless versions of Friends over the years, and I certainly appreciated that when someone told be a crucial placement was (for example) a Friend 1, I knew exactly what that meant.

Sadly that is no longer the case….

But there is a silver lining!  Once I got used to the new sizing, and resigned myself to being more selective on the beta I trusted, I’ve found the new rack to be by far the best cams I’ve ever used.

Beardy Mike and the others involved in their development are to be congratulated on the new range they have produced.

And before anyone asks, no, I have no affiliation with Wild Country.

Neil

beardy mike 30 Jan 2024
In reply to Neil Foster:

Nor have I! I was a contractor...

Michael Hood 31 Jan 2024
In reply to Rick Graham:

> Nah. Only lasted a few months before the flexi half came out.

i was mightily pissed off at that point.

Michael Hood 31 Jan 2024
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Is that the titanium one with the double cord system?

That's the one. Apparently a lot of them succumbed to corrosion/fusion because the 3 metals (shaft, cams, nuts IIRC) can easily set up some kind of electrolytic reaction - basically getting wet (salty water?) and not being properly cleaned and dried.

So we are amongst a small select group (I'm assuming we're not the last 2).

beardy mike 31 Jan 2024

Yes  Titanium doesn't play nicely with (I think) either Alumnium or Stainless. But particularly Aluminium if my memory serves me correctly. Same process as Galvanised steel and stainless, replacing ions and ending up with Swiss cheese.

beardy mike 31 Jan 2024
In reply to beardy mike:

My mistake, its carbon steels and titanium which are reactive which would make sense, I belive because of the higher carbon content compared to Stainless.

If you look at the chart in this link, the further apart the metals are on the cart the more reactive they will be:

https://structx.com/Material_Properties_001.html

Michael Gordon 31 Jan 2024
In reply to Jamie Wakeham:

> There's only one thing wrong with Totems, and that's that their colours are wrong!> 

You could dye them?

beardy mike 31 Jan 2024
In reply to Michael Gordon:

Dye won't be taken up by dyneema, that's why it's white...

OP paul wood 01 Feb 2024
In reply to Nick1812P:

WC sizes were defacto for my climbing for many years and then Camalots became available but were still approximately the same sizes. So no I didn't need them to be inches as I am of that age that inches were only used to measure one thing.

I do think the colour convergence helps though.

Post edited at 13:28
 beardy mike 01 Feb 2024
In reply to paul wood:

They really weren't the same sizes and never have been. a Friend size one was similar to a 0.4  Camalot but slightly larger, 0.5 was like a 1.5, then it kinda all went to hell in a hand basket...

Post edited at 16:06

Sean Kelly 01 Feb 2024
In reply to paul wood:

I can't get my head around different colour sizes. "Pass me a yellow"

Wtf size is that? We knew where we were with a size 3 Friend!

spidermonkey09 01 Feb 2024
In reply to paul wood:

My first cams were Helium friends and I diligently completed my set despite all my peers using the alternate Dragon /camalot system. They all thought I was mad, and this thread shows I was. I was carrying loads cams, especially in the smaller sizes, and covering not as big a range. I've recently bought a new set of WC friends and the difference is huge. Should have done it years ago. 

The current state of affairs is objectively superior as beardy Mike has brilliantly explained. The only reason one would prefer the old system is simply because one is familiar with it and doesn't want to learn the new (better) system. That's fine and makes logical sense , but let's call it what it is! Familiarity is a very powerful force. 

Michael Gordon 01 Feb 2024
In reply to spidermonkey09:

Because the camalots cover a good size range, there's inevitably a point midway between certain sizes where neither is that good (over-cammed or under-cammed). E.g. the Friend 3.5 covers that bit between yellow and blue camalot. Then again, given the choice of adding it in just in case, I'd probably just take two yellows instead.

beardy mike 01 Feb 2024
In reply to Sean Kelly:

> I can't get my head around different colour sizes. "Pass me a yellow"

Eh what? Unless you're using old cams, totems or fairly random brands, the colours are the same? A yellow WC Friend is near as damn it the same size and range as a yellow DMM Dragon or a BD C4. How is it harder to get your head around that than the old skool s*** show?

beardy mike 01 Feb 2024

Not sure about that one either. There is a range over lap on each cam, regardless of whether they are old WC Friends or new ones or camalots. Certainly for the WC New Friends I made sure that the overlap was 100% consistent. And that overlap percentage was broadly similar to old cams, which as I've stated ad nauseum in this thread, was all over the place. Honestly, when I first did the maths it was what shocked me the most out of everything, that all the brands were doing stuff which was seemingly totally random. It took some smooshing around to get the numbers right but it really is consistent as it possibly could be whilst trying to stick to the approximate ranges of other brands so that nobody needs to get their knickers in a twist about different brand cams not fitting in with other brands. We had loads of discussions about this - I suggested adding a cam to the range so that they broadly overlaid the old friend cams and provided loads of overlap. Well the downside is that that means that you guys have to buy an extra cam making the range more expensive to purchase. And I'm guessing that with climbers being the way they are, they'd buy BD or DMM because it saves them 75 quid. In addition to which, to add that extra size you're talking circa 8k in tooling alone. I also suggested making a set of single axle Alpine friends with less overlap which would be lighter and cheaper and that was turned down. There are soooo many variables in this stuff and in the end the people who are selling it have to make a decision on which way to go with it all and it's simply not going to please every one. 

Timmd 01 Feb 2024
In reply to paul wood:

I've always agreed with what used to be seen as the beneficial aspects of the stem being able to rotate around the axle freely after being moved by any rope movement without potentially disturbing the placement, like it (perhaps largely theoretically) may do with double axle cams/friends, in principle that design has 1 element less which might cause an issue.

It might in practice be more theoretical than anything else, but that's why I like single axle cams/friends. Hopefully this year my elbows may get sorted.

Post edited at 18:40
 Timmd 01 Feb 2024
In reply to paul wood:

If the springs are strong enough, and the stem flexible enough, that could plausibly make it unlikely to happen that any rope movement would disturb the cam placement, but the stem being able to move on it's axis without disturbing the placement still appeals 'on a mechanical level'. A lot of design is compromise, and it might be one which is fine.

Post edited at 21:01
 Robert Durran 02 Feb 2024

> Because the camalots cover a good size range, there's inevitably a point midway between certain sizes where neither is that good (over-cammed or under-cammed). 

Yes, and few people seem to appreciate this. The old style friends beautifully interleave the Camalot (and now DMM/new Friend) sizes. An old 2, say, might fit perfectly when a green is a bit baggy and a red rather tight. My standard rack consists of Camalots from small grey to big blue plus old style friends from zero to 2.5 (I might add smaller or larger ones as required). I have the best of both worlds, obviously better than a double set of either.

When the new style Friends came out I bought two additional sets of old style friends (one cheap in the US and one second hand on here), so that I would be able to continue with this system hopefully indefinitely.

Unfortunately, as climbing partners have tended to become less familiar with the old style friends, this can cause issues when putting together a mutual rack. If they try it openmindedly and persevere a bit, they do tend to come round to the strengths of my system, but, when necessary, I have sometimes had to carry my old style friends when seconding so that I can have them on lead.

Robert Durran 02 Feb 2024
In reply to beardy mike:

> Eh what? Unless you're using old cams, totems or fairly random brands, the colours are the same? A yellow WC Friend is near as damn it the same size and range as a yellow DMM Dragon or a BD C4. How is it harder to get your head around that than the old skool s*** show?

A yellow WC Friend is an old 2.5. The new one a bit bigger is gold. Surely everyone knows that!

beardy mike 02 Feb 2024

Believe it or not I had your words ringing in my ears as we were working on it. I do feel what you're saying is fairly niche but I can understand your perspective on it. As I said, one of the thoughts had been to do a set of Alpine Friends, super light and cheaper to manufacture than double axle cams which overlaid the Camalot sizes and to then interleave sizes at a mid point between each. The money saved on making the extra axle terminations could have been used to build intermediate sized forged cam lobes, but it was not to be, mostly for internal and completely uncontrollable reasons which to my mind didn't actually make sense. But sometimes in a job you just have to accept what the "boss" is saying and go with it. I suspect had I got my way we might have been in a very different place to where we now are with very little to differentiate between the different brands. Is what it is really...

Timmd 02 Feb 2024
In reply to beardy mike:

What are your thoughts on what used to be marketed as the plus point of single axle technical  friends, re it being something of a safer design because of the stem being able to rotate around it and not disturb the placement?

It might be a 'How long is a piece of string?' style question, how much that makes any difference in practice...

Post edited at 13:55
 beardy mike 02 Feb 2024
In reply to Timmd:

I mean it's a thing, but there's a distinct lack of people lying at the base of crags with their leg up by their ear because of it isn't there.

I'd say the bigger issues with single axle cams were the cams getting overcammed much more easily, the range and the cams rotating as you pull them out and some how getting all hooked up on the sides of the crack. There are solutions for all those things though.

On the plus side there's what you've cited, the lobes are smaller for the size and inherently stronger, theres only one axle so half the weight, theres no end plates, the spring is simpler, the stem terminations can be reusued for multiple sizes where as the axle terms on the double axle cams are individual for each size because the spread required between the axles varies (infact this distance is one of the important variables for how much range you get and WC are the only ones which use a consistent spread which is one of the reasons for the others being slightly random - but it's pretty marginal and noone would notice unless someone told you so), and they are cheaper to produce (fewer and lighter parts).

Timmd 02 Feb 2024
In reply to beardy mike:

Ta for the info, that's interesting to know. I guess 'being of benefit to humanity' is over egging it, but when a product seems well sorted & thought out, like single axle technical friends, I can have the sense that they almost deserve to continue being made, or that they should be 'just because', but it could become a cluttered world if that were to happen.

https://www.velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx?ID=863e6b89-3b61-450d-a081-90fd...

I've always liked these Campagnolo Record hubs in silver polished guise, they have a threaded axle and a single adjustable collar, and loose ball cup and cone bearings, and the collar makes it very simple to adjust them to 'just right'. They still use the mechanism in their higher end hubs, but the only Record hubs one can buy now are an ugly black and angular design in 32 holes. I recently paid for a couple of 28 hole hubs to make a set, and consciously forget the price I'd paid.

Post edited at 16:07

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...