UKC

NEWS: 8a and More for 13 Year Old Jim Pope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 06 Jun 2013
Jim Pope cutting loose on the steep Cider Soak, 8a, 2 kb13 year old Jim Pope, has just returned from a short trip to the South-West which was very successful, visiting Anstey's Cove, Brean Down and Chedder, and managing to climb a multitude of hard routes up to 8a.

Jim was climbing and staying with the very accomplished Gav Symonds, after arriving at...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=68110
 jon 06 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC News:

> "The new Petzl Spirits, they clipped so smoothly and were amazing for onsight attempts as they weigh nothing!

> I was also using my Beal Diablo 10.2... it's so light and smooth it feels more like a 9.8 but with the durability of a thicker rope!"

Gosh, I'll have to get some of those. Well done Jim!
 Coel Hellier 06 Jun 2013
In reply to jon:

> Gosh, I'll have to get some of those. Well done Jim!

So he's not only good at climbing, but also the marketing/sponsorship side of things!
 SonyaD 06 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC News: Well done Jim!
 JayK 06 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Was looking ridiculously strong on Avenged at the end of the day as well!
In reply to UKC News:

Top stuff from the youth of today.......this makes me feel old............
 Monkeysp00n 06 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC News: Well done Jim, some hard climbs now local to me. Monkey Magic.
 Morgan Woods 06 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC News:

"it feels more like a 9.8 but with the durability of a thicker rope!"

how would he know he's only 13 :p
 Owen W-G 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Morgan Woods:

Cheesy words for his sponsors. Seems a bit forced from a 13y old.

Good on you Jim for the tickage though.
 biscuit 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Coel Hellier:
> (In reply to jon)
>
> [...]
>
> So he's not only good at climbing, but also the marketing/sponsorship side of things!

Minus points as he forgot to mention La Sportiva, his 3rd sponsor who provide him with excellent shoes. They feel really light and precise and make climbing much easier.

I have a feeling he may not have typed those words himself

Saw him at Malham a few weeks ago and not only does he climb very impressively i ended up having a quick chat with him about a ( his ? ) dog and i wish i had been as mature and polite as he was at his age. He seemed a proper nice young chap.

Go Jim !
 kipper12 06 Jun 2013
In reply to Christheclimber:
> (In reply to UKC News)
>
> Top stuff from the youth of today.......this makes me feel old............

There is a small group of climbers around Jims age who are translating their wall/comp telent onto real rock. I think the future of top end climbing in the UK is very bright indeed.
 Ramon Marin 06 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC News:

Top effort Jim, really out there for such a young age.
In reply to biscuit:
Jim actually did mention his La Sportiva's (or his flip flops anyway) in his original article over on our FB page!

Jim sent us through the pics a few days ago and we asked if he could write us a paragraph or two we could use to go with them. His original thoughts on our FB page are completely unedited and unprompted.
In reply to UKC News: Good work Jim!!
 jamesnoble2 06 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC News: at least this is actually news worthy unlike other stuff reported on here recently. Great effort by jim, the future of british climbing is certainly looking good
 Dale Turrell 07 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC News: I was at Ansteys that day, dogged my way up Empire of the Sun on his (I think) quickdraws. They didn't seem to make it any easier for me!
shorts 07 Jun 2013
In reply to UKC News:
Good effort Jim. Good to see you mixing it up, sport, trad, boulder. To paraphase -I've seen the future of rock and his name is Jim Pope.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...