UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: A Climbing Life: Mike Owen

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 25 Jan 2019
Mike Owen Gorge du LoupOur Friday Night Video this week is a look at legendary British expat Mike Owen and his life with partner Elaine in the south-east of France. Mike is well known in the UK for some of his ascents in the 80s and 90s, particularly at Gogarth, with routes such as The Bells! The Bells! and The Hollow Man on his CV. In 1999, Mike and Elaine sold their house and moved to France where they continued their jobs as teachers.

Read more
 Dave Cross 25 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Loved this. What a great birthday present - I want one too! Great to see both M and E still looking good. But, yes, Ruff is always the star. 

Dave

GDes 25 Jan 2019

What a lovely short film.  I've never met Mike, but he was phenomenally helpful via email when I contacted him about a few crags down that way.  Happy birthday Mike!

robbiebrookie 25 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

loved it. characters, french rock, and a life spent climbing. sounds good to me!!

In reply to UKC News:

Really enjoyed this short video.

It’s great to see Mike and Elaine still climbing so well.

i have really fond memories of the old Pex Hill days when Mike was such a superb climber and technician.

Cheers

Chris L

Neil Morrison 25 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Really good.

Andy Farnell 25 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Mike and Elaine, the archetypal all british climbing couple and problably the best. It's been an honour and pleasure to climb with them . The catwalk seems empty without Ruff.

Andy F

Wft 25 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Wonderful video 

ChrisBrooke 25 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Really enjoyed that. 

Wee Davie 25 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

That's a brilliant video. How cool are these two/three?

Dave Todd 26 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Lovely film!  Perfectly captures two happy people and one happy dog...

(Was I the only person who thought that the dog was eating the contents of a chalk bag - before realising that it was a collapsible water bowl?)

AP Melbourne 26 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

What a brilliant and very charming film, well done Mathieu et al.

Yes, M & E - two of my oldest and dearest friends, ex climbing partners, work colleague and landlords for a three month spell in Hough Green, Widnes 'a hundred' years ago.

Its such a special bond they both share - with the rock, obviously each other, and the pooch of course.

What a life eh!!!!

Keep living the dream you two. And drag yer scrawny asses down to Oz like you've been promising for 15yrs.

Love,

And. xx

Tony Mitchell 26 Jan 2019

Gorgeous film and wonderful to see you both still have such a passion for climbing and life. You live in a stunning place -what a life!

I still have fond  memories of time spent with you both at Malham and even further back at Pex and great to see you are back to fitness after your shoulder surgery.

Hope you both keep on going for many more years.

Best wishes

Tony

Mooncat 26 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Looks better than St Helens Mike. 

hwackerhage 27 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Great! However, why is he an expat if everyone coming to Britain doing the same stuff is a migrant? 

Pedro50 27 Jan 2019

Much enjoyed. Hopefully the French are as liberal with their ciggies as we were on the catwalk.  

john arran 27 Jan 2019
In reply to hwackerhage:

> Great! However, why is he an expat if everyone coming to Britain doing the same stuff is a migrant? 

British exceptionalism.

a.k.a. he's an exceptional Brit

In reply to UKC News:

Lovely film...great to see you both here in the last couple of years and looking at this video I think I'm going to have to pay you guys a visit next time!! Glad your arm's healed so well Mike hoping my wrist does the same.

steveriley 28 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Great little film. Mike was an inspiration to watch around Pex in the 80s/90s (Elaine much more my grade!) and lovely to see the life carved out ...Gorges du Loup looks a lot like Widnes to be fair

Charlie Bryan 29 Jan 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Beautiful film Mike, I wish you and Elaine well. 

sheppy 06 Feb 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Excellent film, really captivating. Mike and Elaine are really inspirational to us older climbers. Hope you keep at it for many years to come.

JM 06 Feb 2019
In reply to UKC News:

Fantastic short film! I don't know Mike and Elaine but I always used to enjoy reading Mike's blog and know of them through friends in the Liverpool climbing scene. Very inspiring couple! I remember trying the route in the video. Although it is possible in the summer and there is often a strong wind coming down the gorge it was too hot for a pasty Brit like myself and I thought my head was going to explode! I can't believe Mike has done it 65 times!

AdeWard 09 Feb 2019
In reply to UKC News:

What a beautiful testament to a life of climbing!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...