UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: A Feather in the West - New Routing on Owey

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 29 May 2020
A Feather in the West

This week's Friday Night Video is a trip to the small island of Owey. A team of talented Irish climbers explore sea cliffs that local guidebook writer Iain Miller claims, have "enough new routing potential to last at least twelve lifetimes". As they explore the island, we discover what it takes to seek out new, uncharted climbs and turn them from a piece of salt-soaked, lichen lined rock into a world-class three-star route in a guidebook. The climbers themselves discover an environment and community that is uniquely wondrous, beguiling and unforgettable.

Read more
 99ster 29 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Superb!

mrphilipoldham 29 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Lovely vid! 

Lemony 29 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Watched this last night, one of the best trad videos I’ve seen in a long time - immaculate looking climbing, engaging characters and beautifully shot - really enjoyed It.

Robert Durran 29 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Really enjoyed that. I want to go.......

In reply to UKC News:

Really good, very well shot and some great trad climbing sequences. 

Paul Evans 30 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

What a brilliant film. Well produced, fantastic location, engaging characters, rock looks amazing. Well done to all concerned.

Paul

Dave Rudkin 30 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Thanks for sharing. This is a wonderfully crafted film, that captures the climbers experiences so well. Stunning.

jpeg 30 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Great routes, great stories, great vibes, great film. Top job all. Just what that wee islands all about. 

Fellover 30 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Quality video.

olddirtydoggy 30 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Loved this, didn't want it to end.

tistimetogo 31 May 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Great watch. Well done folks!

In reply to UKC News:

Think I've went back to watch various sections of this about 5-6 times since first watching it on Friday.

Love it

henwardian 31 May 2020
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Really enjoyed that. I want to go.......

Me too, when you free?!

Also, fantastic film. I don't know if it felt so genuine because there were so many moments where I was thinking "yeah, been right there in that situation!".

In reply to UKC News:

That brought back so many moving memories. 

Great set of characters too: just came across like a lovely bunch of people.

I think of all the ascents it was Kevin's that broke me. He was clearly moved by his experience, as I was by mine over on the Holy Jaysus Wall, and basically anything to do with family sets me off these days (after the birth of my daughter). 

On that note, Ricky's 'Through the Green Door' production is well worth a watch and is - in my opinion - similarly moving, albeit in a different way. For me it just encapsulates the fun of being out in/amongst those endless days of summer. Great soundtrack too.

Here's a link for those that haven't seen it: vimeo.com/186068708

Post edited at 11:44
 Robert Durran 01 Jun 2020
In reply to henwardian:

> Me too, when you free?!

I am free three weeks on Thursday for seven and a half weeks   Though how free to travel and climb within Scotland let alone Ireland remains to be seen

Andy Moles 03 Jun 2020
In reply to UKC News:

This is class, most I've enjoyed a climbing film in ages.

Celebrates the place really nicely, but it's the characters who make it. Lots of great relatable moments.

Closest I've come so far is on the phone on Cruit being told it's too choppy in the next few days to take us. Next time!

DaveHurley 05 Jun 2020
In reply to UKC News:

Unbelievable and Inspiring. Its great to see such beautiful new climbing being discovered on Ireland's coast by some very talented climbers. Ill be out to Owey this summer for sure! The psyche is high as ever after watching this. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...