UKC

NEWS: 'A Totally Strange Day' ....550 routes

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 25 Jul 2008
You may have heard, but Tom Randall gives us an intimate glimpse of an epic day on Grit.

"20th June 2003: John Arran and Shane Ohly managed to climb over 500 Peak grit routes in a day. John climbed 536 routes and Shane 502, in 18 hours.

The challenge was set.

Five years later, John and Shane's challenge was met head on by Tom Randall and Pete Whittaker (you may remember these two from....."

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=07&year=2008#n45218
 MattH 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

A great effort!
 Liam Copley 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I saw them finish of at stanage, well done to them. We tried having ago at aload of route the next day becuase we say them do it. We managed 40

realy well done to you guys.
 carnie 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Yet more Randallization.....Nice one guys!
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Incredible - sounds exhausting in the extreme. Probably the best work-out you can get.

A rather less ambitious (but still hard) challenge is to climb a route on every crag in a guidebook in a day (under your own steam - no cars allowed). I did the old "Froggatt" guide like that with Chris Plant (many moons ago). It was a good alternative to the usual day's climbing, and conditions made it interesting (heavy snow, ice at the top of many routes) but safe soloing (snowy landings!).
I Falafelot 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Andy Stephenson: Less ambitious? Depends on the guidebook in question! I bet its pretty tough to do a route on each crag in the Pembroke guide...

or the Cairngorms guide...

or Lancashire Rock...

or...
OP Michael Ryan 25 Jul 2008
Unreported is some fellow who did 100 routes in Langdale in a day recently - running between several crags, then a welcome pint on the Old Dungeon Ghyll.

My objective is 20 routes this weekend. I may even report back.

Mick
I Falafelot 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Hats off to that - amazing!
 Chris the Tall 25 Jul 2008
Very impressive, but what have they ever done on grit ?
 Chris F 25 Jul 2008
In reply to I Falafelot: Northern Highlands North?

A good day out was had by Keefe Murphy and myself many moons ago, we set out to do a 100 E points in a day. All routes had to be lead & seconded. The day went like this in the order below, starting at 4:00am finishing 10:00pm.

14th July 1990
Stoney:
--------------------------
Scoop Wall E2
Memnon E2
Windhover E2
Armageddon E2
Flakes E2
Flakes Direct E2
Dies Irae E2
(a bit of a delay on Beanstalk that Keefe backed off)
Kelly's Eye E4
Bingo Wall E4
Wee Doris E4
Pickpocket E4
Flashing Fisher E3
Double Scotch E2
Traffic Jam E5
Solitairee E2
Cock-a-Leekie E2
Soapsuds E3
Bubbles Wall E3
This Wall E2
Carl's Wark Crack E2

Chee Tor
--------------------------------
White Gold E4
Oblomor E2
Heart of Darkness E3
Hergiani E2
Absent Friends E3
Less Than Zero E3
Approaching E3
Splintered Perspex E3
Queer Street E3
42nd Street E3
Sunny Goodge Street E2
Match of the Day E2
Goal of the Month E2
Rape E2
Dagenham Dave E2
Switch E2
What Aches E3
Mortlock's Arete E4
--------------------------------
And the Pub
I Falafelot 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Chris F: Don't know enough about the area but I'm guessing you'd need a week or more eh?

Get on it!
 Neil Foster Global Crag Moderator 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Glenn Sutcliffe:

I can't believe Keefe backed off Beanstalk.

Pathetic....

Neil

In reply to Neil Foster:

Sounds like you could do with one at the snore
 tommyzero 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: 18 hours and 500 routes = 1 route every 2.16 minutes.

18 x 60 = 1080 / 500 = 2.16

That is quite something.
 MattH 25 Jul 2008

That's just over 30 mins per route, not allowing for travel / movement between routes. One of the more amazing efforts I have heard about. Respect.

MattH

Totally awesome. And still time for the pub at the end! Talk about a perfect day's climbing ... well, frankly, beyond most mortals' dreams by a thousand miles.

And ... are they in order? ... was Mortlock's Arete really the last route?... The vast majority on UKC would be very happy to climb just that one route in a day.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 25 Jul 2008

VERY impressive!

Me and Nigel Baker once did Wee Doris, Bubbles, Carls Wark Crack, Pickpocket, Scoop Wall and Our Father in a day and thought we were the biz!

Chris
thearmtorightbears 25 Jul 2008

What's the average length of these routes - 10m? Less? or more?
In reply to thearmtorightbears:

Without looking at the guidebook, most of them are 20 - 30m
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

Yes the correct order it was getting dark so it was 2 E2s or 1 E4, I now know we miscounted and 1 E2 would have done...
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: good effort, sounds like a challenge.
 keefe 25 Jul 2008
In reply to Neil Foster:
>
> I can't believe Keefe backed off Beanstalk.
>
> Pathetic....
>

Still on my tax.
The only on-sight that didn't work that day
 JR 25 Jul 2008

Last year a mate and me did all the starred E1s on stanage out of the 1989 guide in a day (dawes cover.) We made the rule that they all had to be lead and seconded which clearly made it a bit more time consuming. The reason was because there was no will in the world to make me solo the unprintable.

Some pretty esoteric and nails ones on there 36 in total I think including some that have gone up to E2/3 in the newer guides.

The previous year we did all the starred VSs out of the same guide. I think there was 48 of those.

I climbed with a old hero in South Africa who had done all the routes beginning with V on tremadog in a day. That's good going!

Both were really good and tiring days out. Nothing like doing 500 mind.
 keefe 25 Jul 2008
In reply to JR:

> I climbed with a old hero in South Africa who had done all the routes beginning with V on tremadog in a day. That's good going!
>

Spooky!!!! - Was that Johnny Adams when he & I did them?
 JR 25 Jul 2008
In reply to keefe:

indeed
 craig d 26 Jul 2008
> (In reply to Gordon Stainforth)
>
> Yes the correct order it was getting dark so it was 2 E2s or 1 E4, I now know we miscounted and 1 E2 would have done...

It,s a good job you did Mortlocks as the last route as Bingo Wall is only E2 Not E4. An outstanding effort.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...