UKC

NEWS: Blind Climber Jesse Dufton 'Non-sights' E3

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 23 Jul 2021

Jesse Dufton has onsighted his first E3, Internationale at Kilt Rock on the Isle of Skye. It was the first time the blind climber had ever attempted a route of the grade. 

Read more

Moacs 23 Jul 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Great article; thank you.  Amazing achievement.

Interesting that Jesse thought Hoy a good climb.  I'd imagined that a blind ascent might lose some of the things that it scores classic points for - the setting, approach (view from the ferry) and abseil.  I can see why Rock Idol would be high on the list - it climbs beautifully.  I guess the sounds and smells of the sea cliffs are universally intoxicating though.

Anyway, lovely article.

full stottie 23 Jul 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Totally inspiring. Well done Jesse.

Mark Kemball 24 Jul 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Jesse is so inspiring - great article. 

James Rushforth Global Crag Moderator 24 Jul 2021
In reply to UKC News:

As others have said, totally inspiring. Congratulations Jesse!  

Ramon Marin 25 Jul 2021
In reply to UKC News:

that’s flippin impressive, so inspiring 

Robert Durran 25 Jul 2021
In reply to UKC News

Mind boggling. I can just about get my head around him doing crack climbs which takes cams easily, but it was the bird-slime, poorly protected ledge shuffling on the Old Man that I found almost unwatchable. I do wonder whether, if he could watch the videos like the rest of us, he would think "f*** me, that is totally nuts" and take up golf or snooker or something instead.

Michael Hood 25 Jul 2021
In reply to UKC News:

So impressive, not just the climbing ability, also the completely adventurous mindset of pushing oneself in unfamiliar situations.

I was also especially amused by the multiple levels of irony on one of the recent photos of Jesse where he apparently went off route on a route called Cross-Eyed (E2 5b).

C Witter 25 Jul 2021
In reply to UKC News:

Fantastic effort! Doing those climbs at all is an achievement, but without being able to cheat your way up by looking at the holds - that's a whole other level of commitment and ability. Jesse's endurance and head game must be incredible.

Ridge 25 Jul 2021
In reply to Robert Durran:

> In reply to UKC News

> Mind boggling. I can just about get my head around him doing crack climbs which takes cams easily, but it was the bird-slime, poorly protected ledge shuffling on the Old Man that I found almost unwatchable. I do wonder whether, if he could watch the videos like the rest of us, he would think "f*** me, that is totally nuts" and take up golf or snooker or something instead.

Although 'Free solo' was impressive, it didn't give me the visceral fear I felt watching Jesse trying to get gear in on the Old Man. I actually felt queasy at one point.

Robert Durran 25 Jul 2021
In reply to Ridge:

> Although 'Free solo' was impressive, it didn't give me the visceral fear I felt watching Jesse trying to get gear in on the Old Man. I actually felt queasy at one point.

Yes, Free Solo seemed much more controlled. But maybe that's because I can sort of relate to doing that sort of stuff at a much more modest level, whereas I simply can't relate to climbing blind.

Post edited at 22:37
 PaulJepson 26 Jul 2021
In reply to UKC News:

I saw he did Vulcan Wall the other day as well. I've not climbed that route but have climbed at SNC and found it really difficult to be sure I was on route, even with eyesight! It's one thing following a big corner or crack but a Gabbro multi-pitch mountain route is something else altogether.  

James Thacker 01 Aug 2021
In reply to UKC News: Wow, what a inspiration ascent. I did Internationale on what must have been a couple of days later, and the difficulties are etched on my mind. Incredible climbing. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...