UKC

NEWS: Cliffhanger Cancelled

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Just been informed that Cliffhanger is cancelled because of the bad weather.

See http://www.cliff-hanger.co.uk/

The British Bouldering Championships is still going ahead as the tent and wall is already built.

UKC Edit - title change
In reply to Graeme Alderson: Is the campsite still open or is it washed out?
Rich
In reply to The Climbing Academy: Sorry I don't know Rich. I suspect it will be closed but not sure.
 Kieran_John 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Graeme Alderson:

I'm assuming we can still have a drive over and watch the Championships?
In reply to Kieran_John: Yes the comp is still on, I suspect there will be no charge to watch it but I don't know.
 gribble 06 Jul 2012
In reply to The Climbing Academy:

Looks like the ratrace basecamp is cancelled too. Grimness.

http://www.cliff-hanger.co.uk/news/2012/07/06/Cliffhanger_cancellation/
In reply to The Climbing Academy: Just talked with Matt Heason. the BBC is definately on and it is free to watch.

the camping is cancelled though Rich, sorry you will have to find an alternative.
In reply to Graeme Alderson: is it still being broadcast on the web Graeme?
In reply to Richard Hession: Yes
 WJV0912 06 Jul 2012

Now please don't take this as a dig at the BMC as I'm appreciative of all the work you guys put in and recognise the importance of the organization however do you not think you could've cancelled this a bit sooner? The weather warnings were in place for the weekend at least as far back as yesterday. I was due to work the festival on one of the mobile walls and I'm only based down in The Peak District so this hasn't caused much inconvenience for me other than giving me the day off (which isn't really an inconvenience...) but I do wonder if there's anyone that has travelled or is traveling currently that has not heard the news or has wasted time getting there. Now I'm sure you'll sort people out financially and all that so nobody is too out of pocket but I'm just a bit surprised that this news has come so suddenly just over an hour before I myself was due to get on the road.
 abarro81 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Saul Gilsenan:
It's not a BMC run event is it? (Other than the BBC which is still on) I though Heason Events were the organisers?
 WJV0912 06 Jul 2012
In reply to abarro81:

Ah yes. If anyone from Heason Events would like to respond then feel free. Like I said though this isn't a dig at anybody it just struck me as quite late to announce a cancellation.

I'm sure Matt at Heaston Events will get back to you, but I think he'll be a bit busy right now.
In reply to abarro81: It is a Sheffield City Council event.
 Team BMC 06 Jul 2012
In reply to:

The British Bouldering Championships are still going ahead in the big-top marquee. It's free to watch so come along to show your support:

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/cliffhanger-cancelled--but-british-bouldering-champ...

Just don't forget your wellies!
 kipper12 06 Jul 2012

If it rains much more it may be a DWS comp!!
 Team BMC 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Team BMC:

And if you don't own any wellies, we're still webcasting the whole champs:

http://www.247.tv/climbing/british-bouldering-championships-2012/
 Carolyn 06 Jul 2012
> The weather warnings were in place for the weekend at least as far back as yesterday. I was due to work the festival on one of the mobile walls and I'm only based down in The Peak District so this hasn't caused much inconvenience for me other than giving me the day off (which isn't really an inconvenience...)

I don't know about other areas, but I've had about 6 updates from the Met Office for NW England over the last 24 hours, so it's quite possible the information they've been given has changed in the detail quite late on.
In reply to Carolyn: And the thing about weather forecasts is that they are merely forecasts.
> (In reply to Carolyn) And the thing about weather forecasts is that they are merely forecasts.

I suspect it has been cancelled because of the state of the ground today rather than the weather tomorrow which actually looks like it is going to be okay.

Alan
In reply to Alan James - Rockfax: Today would have been when most things would have been set up - it would have been a nightmare and the park would have got trashed.
 JoshOvki 06 Jul 2012

Doh! Just got to Sheffield and saw a sign saying its canceled! Will have a long weekend chilling out instead.
 Simon 06 Jul 2012
> (In reply to Alan James - UKC and UKH) Today would have been when most things would have been set up - it would have been a nightmare and the park would have got trashed.

Aldo's got that's right, it was hell up on the park this morning - a real mud fest - bucketing it down and Sheffield City Council had to make a decision based on sensible reasoning with the forecast in mind.

We desperately wanted the festival to go ahead (especially with a brighter forecast) but the plug was pulled during the down-poor that did not cease all day.

The organisers were hoping for better weather and we are sorry that the event won't be happening.

However! A team has been toiling away to make the BBC's happen and although it might be a bit soggy - please come along & support the climbers.

Plus - the bands that we due to play tonight are now re-routed to the Showroom for a charity gig at 8:00pm tonight!

Although it's such a shame we can't have the whole festival - lets make the best of what we have...

Si
 Simon 06 Jul 2012
In reply to JoshOvki:

The climbing comp is still happening Josh - for free! Please come along!
 JoshOvki 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Simon:

We will! Just popped to decathlon to buy wheelies. (Which might also be suitable for walking up Ben Nevis)
chuffer 06 Jul 2012
In reply to Simon:
> (In reply to Graeme Alderson)
>
> Although it's such a shame we can't have the whole festival - lets make the best of what we have...
>
I've just seen that CragX are still going to be selling their bargains, (which let's face it is why many of us go) but at The Foundry, instead of in a tent.

In reply to JoshOvki: Wheelie bins?? Or a DVD of great wheelies by Troy Corser.

I bought some wellies, much more useful
 JoshOvki 07 Jul 2012

Wheelie bin and a paddle, I figured it should float okay
 Max Hangs 07 Jul 2012

This is a let down! Thankfully the weather's fine so I'll just go climbing in the Peak instead
 mmmhumous 07 Jul 2012
Anyone know what time the bouldering starts tomorrow?
 mmmhumous 07 Jul 2012

Watching the qualifiers at the moment online.... Are the senior finals on at 4:30 today?!?!? thought they were tomorrow.
 JoshOvki 07 Jul 2012
The alien eye looks like an amazing hold!
 abarro81 07 Jul 2012
Who won?
 Kevster 07 Jul 2012
In reply to abarro81: Dave and shauna
 MattH 12 Jul 2012

Hi,
Sorry, only just picked up on this thread and seen that there are a few questions directed my way. Probably easiest to direct you at a Blog piece I wrote on Tue this week with my thoughts on the cancellation: http://www.heason.net/blog/2012/07/10/The_Deluge/

To put things into context the Great Yorkshire Show was cancelled this week for the first time in its history. It was cancelled AFTER it had started, due to the mess the first day's visitors made of the car parks.

We left it late to cancel simply because forecasts are so often wrong. Had we cancelled earlier based on a forecast and the weather had turned out nice I believe that would have been a much more frustrating scenario for everybody than cancelling later once we knew that the weather was as bad as had been forecast.

Cheers to all those who turned up to the BBC's. Great spirit.
MattH
 Neil Williams 12 Jul 2012
In reply to MattH:

What people also don't realise is that if the car parks are closed people park elsewhere. A while ago I was running (as a volunteer) the car parks for a local weekend festival thingy near me. We had to close the main car park because it just wasn't possible to get on and off it any more without being towed due to the deluge, and the outcome was unfortunately inconsiderate parking in the village and the churning up of all the verges. In retrospect the second day of the festival should probably have been cancelled instead.

We (as the car park team) did what we could to help, including going around the village taping off verges to prevent parking on them, but it still got out of hand very quickly.

Neil

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...