UKC

NEWS: Devil's Castle - Irish Sea Stack First Ascent by Mick Fowler and Chris Harle

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 19 May 2023

Mick Fowler and Chris Harle have made the first ascent of the Devil's Castle sea stack in County Kerry off the west coast of Ireland, via a two-pitch line. The stack is located just off the Bromore Cliffs in the Atlantic Ocean.

Read more

ebdon 19 May 2023
In reply to UKC News:

Hurrah! Awsome to hear Micks still getting out having ridiculous adventures after his illnesses. Inspirational, hope I've got another 30 years of this sort of thing ahead of me.

Lankyman 19 May 2023
In reply to UKC News:

An 'Irish Sea Stack', in the Atlantic Ocean .... ?

Pedro50 19 May 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

> An 'Irish Sea Stack', in the Atlantic Ocean .... ?

It's an Irish sea stack but not an Irish Sea stack.

Post edited at 15:19
 Lankyman 19 May 2023
In reply to Pedro50:

> It's an Irish sea stack but not an Irish Sea stack.

But the title says 'Irish Sea Stack'.

InC 19 May 2023
In reply to UKC News:

In an era seemingly dominated by performance orientated articles such as "the hardest move" it's truly refreshing to see an article just about having a good honest adventure. Mick is and always has been the king of a good adventure.

PaulJepson 19 May 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

More important to the pedant is surely whether it is a sea stack if it's in an ocean and not a sea. 

In reply to UKC News:

Amazing. Its kind of incredible and inspiring that there are still first ascents of summits to be had so close to home.

Pedro50 19 May 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

> But the title says 'Irish Sea Stack'.

Yes I see that. I was proposing the correct form.

Luke90 19 May 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

> > It's an Irish sea stack but not an Irish Sea stack.

> But the title says 'Irish Sea Stack'.

The title is in title case.

Lankyman 19 May 2023
In reply to Luke90:

> The title is in title case.

The title has been altered. A crucial win for the cause of unambiguous journalistic accuracy.  And the anti-pedantrist downvoter can now stop taking life so seriously.

Matt Podd 19 May 2023
In reply to UKC News:

Great to see Mick still out Fell Running a lot, and the b**tard beat me last year. Still I beat him at Jura a few years ago.

TheGeneralist 20 May 2023
In reply to UKC News:

So 

Bloody 

Excellent.

Like a blast from the past. Love it

Rob Parsons 20 May 2023
In reply to UKC News:

Excellent. (And a nice blast from the past: I remember an article about the original 'Deflower' in Mountain magazine, a long time ago.)

If Mr Fowler can continue to do all with this with his arsehole removed and stitched up, and with half his bowels missing, then there is no excuse for any of us: just crack on with what you've got, and enjoy it.

Mr Fuller 20 May 2023
In reply to Matt Podd:

Yeah he was racing Mount Famine today. If I’m having fun fell running at 60+ having had cancer I’d consider that a success. And if I could climb a hundredth of the routes he’s done that would be good too. Top bloke.

ben b 22 May 2023
In reply to UKC News:

Outstanding. Just reading the thread title made my heart rate go up and my palms start to sweat, with a faint whiff of Fowler-route associated nausea.

Mick is pulling off the rare trick of getting even more inspirational as he ages. I haven't felt quite so hopeless since Jamie Andrew finished ahead of us in the LAMM a few years back (with neither hands nor feet yet somehow still able to navigate, run, scramble, pitch the tent etc on a mountain marathon).

Chapeau!

Southvillain 22 May 2023
In reply to UKC News:

After turning 60 this is exactly the inspirational stuff I need to see, not some (admittedly brilliant) adolescent doing a new 9b+ (grrrr).

GraB 22 May 2023
In reply to Mr Fuller:

And running in a certain, fairly tough, cat AL race on an inner hebrides island next weekend, also.

Post edited at 08:48
 Carless 25 May 2023
In reply to Rob Parsons:

Mick said he's looking forward to climbing harder with 2.5 kg of bowel removed

diyduffer 26 May 2023
In reply to Carless:

Losing 2.5kg by surgery.....

This sound like a 90's climbing anorexic throw back.

'Let my legs waste away as its just dead-weight on steep routes'.

I'm glad that's in the past.and well done Mick..

Post edited at 08:13

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...