UKC

NEWS: Exeter Deep Water Solo Competition

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 02 Sep 2014
Exeter DWS Competition 2014, 5 kbThe first UK deep water soloing competition took place on 30/31st August and saw some great performances from teams entered by Alpkit, Boreal, DMM, Entre-Prises, Evolv, Five Ten, La Sportiva, Scarpa, as well as a few GB Team members, the Quay Climbing Centre team and US climber and media mogul Sierra Blair-Coyle.

The location was perfect as theĀ  wall had been constructed then moved out on a floating pontoon. There was a fantastic turn out to watch the event with a...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69144
In reply to UKC News:
That is a brilliant shot of Mikey G! Looks like it was an ace event!
Post edited at 16:32
In reply to Duncan Campbell - UKC:

Yeah, it was great fun. Thanks to all who helped make it happen!
 Gilster 02 Sep 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Such a brilliant event! Roll on next year
Alpnick 03 Sep 2014
In reply to UKC News:

I think many would say it was the best climbing event the UK has seen in a long time. So much more than just a competition.

dale1968 03 Sep 2014
In reply to Alpnick:

> I think many would say it was the best climbing event the UK has seen in a long time. So much more than just a competition.

Seconded
 brices 03 Sep 2014
In reply to Alpnick:
Yup stonker of a weekend, so much fun to watch and to compete in. Great effort to the Quay for running it.
Post edited at 08:50
 Will Hunt 03 Sep 2014
In reply to UKC News:

No mention of the rampant stomach bugs that many of the competitors are currently getting over?
 remus Global Crag Moderator 03 Sep 2014
In reply to Will Hunt:

By 'rampant' you mean Barrows, Varian, Ellis bb and the 'couple of others' mentioned on ukb? Bit shit (ha) but doesn't seem too outrageous given that there must have been 150+ people competing.
 Scrump 03 Sep 2014
In reply to remus:

Thats pretty rampant compared to literally every other boulder comp ive ever heard of. Cant imagine they will be doing it again next year in the same place.
In reply to Will Hunt:

Doh! Mine came on today
 andrewmc 03 Sep 2014
In reply to remus:
I obviously escaped the bug because both times I fell in I inhaled the water rather than swallowing it...

But more seriously that bit of water is regularly used for water sports - canoeing, kayaking etc. so presumably it isn't 'that' bad (just try not to swallow it!). Unless (as one person suggest) the activity itself stirred up stuff so that previously clean water became less clean.
Post edited at 22:18
 Merlin 03 Sep 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome! Why doesn't this exist for punters??
Alpnick 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Merlin:

The competition on Saturday was open to all if you entered early enough. It sold out pretty quickly last time so i'd get on their FB to get the latest updates.

Water quality test where taken and passed, but as others have commented Haven Banks Activity center was running kayak courses all weekend. Scores of paddlers use Holme Pieir Point(nottingham water sports venue) every week some people don't get sick some do.

In the old days they might of said "weak constitution", sorry Paul
In reply to Alpnick:
Yeah, it was just a bit of "Trent belly" for me, the term the local paddlers in Nottingham give to your first taste of the Trent at Holme Pierrepont. Nothing to write home about, I'm OK today.

It certainely won't deter me from entering next year!

PS. Drinking coke after helps kill the bugs
Post edited at 09:28
 OldProfile 04 Sep 2014
In reply to UKC News:

My stomach hasn't been feeling great this week, but as I didn't go anywhere near the water I'll have to blame the all you can eat Thai restaurant...
 dale1968 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Will Hunt:

At the moment I am in that bit of water 3 times a week and have no problems, there is a lot of D and V around, mainly Norah virus, not saying you cannot get ill from water, but if there was a huge problem I think that ECC would be full of sick people
In reply to dale1968:

From my understanding of the aforementioned "Trent belly", once you've had it once you're hardened to it and don't get it again.
 Otis 04 Sep 2014
In reply to Paul Phillips - UKC and UKH:

> From my understanding of the aforementioned "Trent belly", once you've had it once you're hardened to it and don't get it again.

Oh, how I wish that was the case! Sadly, the Trent trots have scuppered me a couple of times over the years. Generally, though, the more exposure you get to dirty water the less it effects you - despite boating loads over the years I rarely got ill.... with HPP being the exception once in a while!

Mike.
In reply to UKC News:

Truly awesome event. Felt like a festival with a DWS comedy splashdown display as the centrepiece. That said, the atmosphere backstage was pretty intense - a really unique competition atmosphere (I don't want to make a tit of myself, I don't want to splashdown face first...) with punters and wads all feeling the pressure. Not to mention up to 1,000 spectators! You don't get that at the CWIF!

I got stomach bug (I fell in 4 times in all) but that would definitely NOT deter me from doing it next year. Bring it on.
 snook 11 Sep 2014
In reply to UKC News:

Such a great event put on by the Quay and all the sponsors - very rough edit of all the final climbs here youtube.com/watch?v=W5W3N6P7064&

Managed to face plant on my last route but wasn't sick from the water so it seems a bit random who it affected.

Bring on next year.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...