UKC

NEWS: Fri Night Vid: Alex Honnold Soloing & More

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 24 Feb 2012
Alex Honnold, 4 kbThis week's Friday night video is mainly American climber Alex Honnold soloing...

But we've also thrown in a pretty fun clip of a huge rope swing that has been going viral this last week. It looks like quite a laugh... plus a great video of skiing in Kashmir too!

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=66921

Dave Foster 24 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC News: London Wall... before anyone asks.
 lukeanoble 24 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC News: 3 vids this week!
Wow thanks ukc. With these Friday night vids you are really treating us.

Could you not have given us one of these last week?

whistler 24 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC News:
The second video seems a bit out of place... The other two are, as always, inspiring.
In reply to whistler:

Yes, agreed, don't like it at all. That arch ain't called Delicate Arch for nothing (and yes I do know that isn't actually DA in the video).

jcm
In reply to UKC News:

Great stuff, Alex is a beast!

Cheers Jack!
 Lil_Pete 25 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Don't get me wrong I do really like that swing video and it has got me a bit inspired but only last week Petzl posted that video on their Facebook page as an example of poor and dangerous rigging!
Tom Knowles 25 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC News:

Obviously Alex Honnold is a remarkable soloist, but Jimmy Chin's description of him as "undoubtedly the greatest free soloist that ever lived" is a touch melodramatic. It does a disservice to several others, not least of all Hansjörg Auer, whose free solo of Via Attraverso il Pesce on Marmolada is, for me, the most impressive rock solo I've ever heard of.
 GDes 25 Feb 2012
That swing video is more like a levi's advert. Terrible.

Always good to see Honnold in action.
 Robert Durran 25 Feb 2012
In reply to GDes:
> That swing video is more like a levi's advert. Terrible.

Yes, very irritating people.
Removed User 25 Feb 2012
In reply to GDes:

Couldn't agree more. It left me thinking "damn I need to go a buy a lucazade sport".
 spidermonkey09 25 Feb 2012
In reply to UKC News:
Before slagging off the rope swing vid too much, check out the comments on Petzl's facebook post.
One of they guys who was involved has explained very clearly and in a lot of detail how safe it was- only the video is putting forward the danger element.
Looks like a hell of a lot of fun to me.
 GDes 25 Feb 2012
In reply to spidermonkey09: I'm sure it is lots of fun. It's just a bit "look how young and crazy we are". It's like a pop video for a manufactured band
 mrteale 26 Feb 2012
In reply to GDes: watch the 'behind the scenes' video, they're massive plonkers. youtube.com/watch?v=KkptQOPEWSg&
 bz 27 Feb 2012
"massive plonkers" understatement of the year
steve edwards 28 Feb 2012
Just had to weigh in here as well. That ridiculous swing had a Hollywood marketer dipshit stamp all over it. I can picture the board meeting right now. Like a scene out of The Player or Big Picture. Ugh!

Ditto on Chin's comment. Alex is way into the next level, for sure, but how is that different than what others have done when the standards were lower. Bachar, Croft, Barber... work your way back. He's amazing though. No doubt.
 Lil_Pete 28 Feb 2012
In reply to GDes:

Showing your age Ged

P.S. Yes you do know me, before you get angry!
 subalpine 29 Feb 2012

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...