UKC

CRAG NOTES: In the Limelight at Malham Cove

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 19 Jan 2022

Seasoned UK sport climbers would do well to make a pilgrimage to Malham's limestone amphitheatre at least once in their climbing career.

At the beginning of my climbing journey two years ago, I had eyed Malham Cove's dramatic amphitheatre from the mouth of the beck that flows from beneath the stage. I loitered at the fringes of an uninitiated audience, who spectated as a group of climbers rehearsed their lines.

Read more

In reply to UKC Articles:

This is very well written. A bit more than you might expect from Crag Notes.

climberchristy 19 Jan 2022

Enjoyed this Hannah. Well written. It's been a pleasure to be there with you for some of those days, especially the 'T shirts in January' day. 

In reply to colin struthers:

Too right! 

Brilliant article Hannah.

I fell in love with Malham Cove when the the Fundas took me there after BMC Fundamentals of Climbing 1.

Moonbeam 20 Jan 2022

Reading this over breakfast got me psyched! The cove can't dry out fast enough!

PaulJepson 20 Jan 2022

Lovely writing. Having walked past it a few times, it's somewhere I'd like to climb when there's a chance I'll get up anything!

julesmckim 20 Jan 2022

Great article with beautiful writing. Makes me want to go back there. Thanks!

Will Hunt 20 Jan 2022

"A variety of performances are on show, sometimes ceremonial, improvised, dramatic, occasionally comedic and often short-lived. I observe the dynamic between climber and crag, belayer and those at the bottom bearing witness. Redpoint attempts often garner a reverent hush from spectators. The concavity of the rock amplifies every exhalation and cry of exertion from the climber, the rest of us silent save for an occasional zealous shout."

This captures perfectly what makes the Malham experience so brilliantly unique. Its elevated concavity makes the Catwalk, quite literally, sport climbing's greatest stage. There is nowhere to hide away, and the fact that climbers come back again and again builds a real community.

climberchristy 20 Jan 2022
In reply to Moonbeam:

> The cove can't dry out fast enough!

Quite a lot dry now. I've climbed there 4 days in last 2 weeks and three of them were t shirt days. Even Rose Coronary was dry today and that often seeps a lot. Just need sun and wind to not be coming from the south. 

deacondeacon 20 Jan 2022
In reply to Moonbeam:

It'll be dry now. It's an all year crag.

Edit:climberchristy beat me too it 🙂

Post edited at 18:25
 Slackerer 21 Jan 2022
In reply to Moonbeam:

Let's go! 💪

UKB Shark 21 Jan 2022
In reply to Will Hunt:

Awful crag. Epitomises everything that is bad about limestone climbing.

Moonbeam 21 Jan 2022
In reply to deacondeacon:

Am keen to get onto the left wall where Tremelo and New Dawn are... They tend to stay wet a bit longer that side. 

In reply to UKB Shark:

> Awful crag. Epitomises everything that is bad about limestone climbing.

Dare I ask what percentage of your adult life you've spent at this awful crag

Andy Farnell 21 Jan 2022
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKClimbing:

It's easier to work out what percentage of Sharks life hasn't been spent at Malham 😉

Andy F

In reply to deacondeacon:

The first ever Development told me it was an all year round crag when went to Castleberg Crag the day before the Coaching Children Workshop.

I am psyched to go. He is encouraging me to go.

Want to climb there with me?

Post edited at 22:39
 Arms Cliff 22 Jan 2022
In reply to Will Hunt:

> This captures perfectly what makes the Malham experience so brilliantly unique. Its elevated concavity makes the Catwalk, quite literally, sport climbing's greatest stage. There is nowhere to hide away, and the fact that climbers come back again and again builds a real community.

and also makes it a terrible place to shout profanities loudly when falling off a decade long siege! 

In reply to Arms Cliff:

Hi.

Have you seen this? 

youtube.com/watch?v=v8uKCgZAw9c&

One of my fave master of Malham videos.

Bye

MS

In reply to colin struthers:

Thanks very much for the kind words, Colin. Glad you enjoyed it.

In reply to climberchristy:

Thanks, Christy! We've had some cracking days there, haven't we? Very much appreciate your company, belays and beta too!

In reply to Mountain Spirit:

Thanks very much! Glad you enjoyed it.

In reply to Will Hunt:

It truly is a unique venue and experience! Having initially felt quite apprehensive about 'belonging' given the grades there, it's been a real joy (and a bit humbling) to have felt so welcome and supported by other climbers. It's a great community.

arran_deakin 25 Jan 2022
In reply to UKB Shark:

Show me on the topo where the crag hurt you. 

In reply to Hannah Mitchell:

> It truly is a unique venue and experience! 

This is the way I felt when I went there and I didn't even climb a single route.

Is it all about the footwork and core strength?

MS

In reply to Hannah Mitchell:

An inspirational read.

In reply to UKB Shark:

Lol.

IMHO I think you'll get the Austrian Oak done this year.

MS

skinne 28 Jan 2022

Beautifully written! I too have the trepidation around Malham as a hard place, having visited while on hiatus from climbing. Your article makes me want to go there! 

E

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...