UKC

INTERVIEW: Malcolm Bass on Life after Stroke

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 08 Jun 2023

Malcolm Bass is known for his exploratory climbs across the world, from remote Scottish winter routes to first ascents in Alaska, China, India and Pakistan. In August 2020, a stroke left him hemiplegic and unable to use one side of his body, severely impacting his movement, sight, hearing and speech.

During Stroke Awareness month this May, we sent Malcolm some questions about his recovery so far and what he's learned along the way.

Read more

Lankyman 09 Jun 2023
In reply to UKC Articles:

When I was a caver we became aware in the early nineties of a bunch of very determined and active cavers from Leeds Uni (ULSA) who were pushing the boundaries in both new and established caves in the Dales. Malcolm Bass was one of those at the forefront. I think he and his colleagues were responsible for the Living Dead extensions deep down in Penyghent Pot and other hardcore explorations. I believe Malcolm was also a cave diver and would often read about his efforts in 'Descent' or 'Caves & Caving' in that extreme end of the caving spectrum. He obviously transferred his can-do attitude into climbing and now his encounters with this latest situation. Malcolm, if you read this, from one ex-caver to another, who was amazed and inspired by your exploits I wish you all the greatest success in the future. Good luck with Helvellyn!

Godwin 11 Jun 2023

A very interesting topic, particularly as Malcolm has a background in psychology, which could possibly give him tools to deal with the issues that many of us would not have.
I have had two TIAs (mild strokes) and they are terrifying, but I have used them as a positive in my life, and to accept that health is not a given, and that I should do things while I can, because possibly in the future I will not be able, and no matter what health regime one follows regarding diet and not smoking, and such like, these things can strike anyone at any time.
On a practical level, Malcolm and other people in his position may find it helpful to know that IIRC the LMC hut Cae Ysgubor has a bathroom with facilities for Disabled people, but how suitable these are for specific people would have to be discussed on a case by case basis. The LMC website seems to be down at the moment, so I cannot provide a link.

robertmichaellovell Global Crag Moderator 13 Jun 2023

A great interview with some important information and insights shared, thank you. 

Stoney Boy 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Lankyman:

Good post. He was part of a very strong  Dale's team including Paul Monaco and Andy Tharrat  or Mr T as we used to call him. I think it's Malcolm on the front cover of the ULSA journal in his diving gear in the extensions....Very impressive what they did in Penyghent.

Lankyman 13 Jun 2023
In reply to Stoney Boy:

> Good post. He was part of a very strong  Dale's team including Paul Monaco and Andy Tharrat  or Mr T as we used to call him. I think it's Malcolm on the front cover of the ULSA journal in his diving gear in the extensions....Very impressive what they did in Penyghent.

I remember Paul Monico (was he 'Descent' editor at the time?) contacting me about Flinter Gill Cave in Dentdale which I'd been into as far as an impassable constriction back in the seventies. Of course, the ULSA team demolished it and explored it for a lot further. I'd be surprised if Malcolm wasn't involved.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...