UKC

FRI NIGHT VID: Natalie Berry in Between the Seasons

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 01 Dec 2017
Nat - Between the Seasons, 3 kbOur Friday Night Video this week features none other than UKC's Editor Natalie Berry. She recently moved out to Chamonix and this film explores her motivation for being in the mountains, whilst the seasons change and the valley empties. The film sees Natalie taking the cable car up to Plan de l'Aiguille and bouldering, whilst appreciating the breathtaking scenery.

Read more
tri-nitro-tuolumne 02 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC News:
A case of the tail wagging the dog?

A well produced, short film showing a climber doing some light bouldering using various pieces of sponsored kit: Petzl bouldering pad; ME beanie and hoodie; some other branded trousers and footwear which I couldn't identify but maybe someone can help me out...

I can't help thinking that the motivation for producing this film was from the sponsors wanting some content in the public domain, rather than because she had something compelling to show us.
Post edited at 16:34
 john arran 02 Dec 2017
In reply to tri-nitro-tuolumne:

Did you enjoy watching it?

In reply to john arran:
Yes, it was worth watching and very well produced. But my point remains: It felt like the tail wagging the dog.
Post edited at 16:50
 olddirtydoggy 02 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC News:

I don't have any issue with Nat Berry getting paid or the vid getting posted on here. Did I enjoy the film? Didn't really care for it but good for her if she's getting a kick out of climbing rock and living whatever life she chooses. There has been some great vids via the front page, especially the Dave Linnet stuff but I guess not every week somebody of his calibre is putting stuff out. His latest Johnny Dawes vid was wonderful.

We've battered the sponsorship thing to death here. Who cares? I'll still go climbing regardless of who gets paid what or endorses blah blah blah.
 john arran 02 Dec 2017

The point may well remain, but surely the greater point is that you were treated to a video you enjoyed, at no cost to you. Whatever the motivation behind it may or may not have been, isn't that a good thing?
In reply to john arran:

I guess I find it hard to enjoy when it feels like an advertorial rather than a film
 john arran 02 Dec 2017

Well that's the acid test as to whether the sponsorship is acceptable. Earlier on you said you enjoyed it, which suggests it was worth it. Maybe now you're recanting a little? Would you have preferred not to have watched it at all?

I agree that some vids are so commercial as to be a waste of time and effort; not sure I'd say this was one of them though.
In reply to john arran:

I agree with your acid test. For me it hinges on the ratio of climbing content to sponsored kit. This felt like too little content.

I guess my opinion is influenced by knowing that Nat Berry is a top end climber who's capable of climbing a little harder than this.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 02 Dec 2017
> A case of the tail wagging the dog?

> A well produced, short film showing a climber doing some light bouldering using various pieces of sponsored kit: Petzl bouldering pad; ME beanie and hoodie; some other branded trousers and footwear which I couldn't identify but maybe someone can help me out...

> I can't help thinking that the motivation for producing this film was from the sponsors wanting some content in the public domain, rather than because she had something compelling to show us.

I watched it on the strength of your comments, I'm not normally fussed about bouldering vids.
A pleasant little film, I really can't see where you are coming from, she is using a mat and shoes, and wearing some clothes! Do you think the logos should have been hidden?

Chris

Post edited at 18:35
Deadeye 02 Dec 2017
In reply to Chris Craggs:

youtube.com/watch?v=8lgLYGBbDNs&

Just a little tooooooo obvious
 Wft 02 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC News:

looks like an amazing spot to go bouldering
 mrchewy 02 Dec 2017
In reply to Wood for Trees:

I was thinking exactly the same thing - which makes the film worthwhile from my point of view.
In reply to Wood for Trees:

The Midi bouldering really is excellent, in an amazing place, in fact it’s not unusual for us to spend a holiday in Cham mostly bouldering. Whereas the circuits used to be Col De Montets, Bossons (brilliant Font style circuits in a wood), much more higher altitude areas have been opened up.
Really liked the video btw and didn’t think the logos got in the way of appreciating some nice bouldering lines.
 scot1 03 Dec 2017
In reply to john arran:

I think some people balk at the idea that an editor of UKC can also be advertising sponsors kit. What they maybe don't realise is that this media savvy/ self-promotion is the norm now and millennials have no qualms about it. Or is it generation Z.
 barry donovan 03 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Looking forward to the Friday night vid? You do have to find 52 after all.

In reply to Olddirtydog "his latest Johnny Dawes vid was wonderful." - Dave Linnet is an act that is too hard to follow. Selfless, affectionate and genuine and about climbing.

This offering was disappointing and predictable; an infomercial - a bit of dull bouldering, obvious logos in sight, in a world class mountain setting. Was it worth the telephrique ride? Commentary? let's not go there.

But hey, I watched stone monkey on the telly when it was a Channel 4 documentary.
 TobyA 03 Dec 2017
In reply to barry donovan:

> - Dave Linnet is an act that is too hard to follow. Selfless, affectionate and genuine and about climbing.

He does always seem to have a tshirt on his head though which is a little odd. Perhaps he's a big of EMF and their early 90s appearances on Top of the Pops?

Dave may care to comment...
 Paul Figg 04 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC News:

I spent much more time looking at the scenery and fantastic winter lines than noticing the advertising, even so If it helps Natalie achieve her goal of living in Cham fair play to her for having the ability to do it.

I'd much rather watch a well produced video like this with a bit of a narrative and odd logo in it than a badly made film of someone grunting there way up a boulder problem or sport route regardless of advertising.
 Michael Gordon 04 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Nice wee film! Never occurred to me someone would go to Chamonix for the bouldering...
 1234None 08 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Lots of negativity here. I'd suggest if you notice the sponsorship first and foremost and that spoils a vid like this for you, then perhaps you're a little jaded. I was busy thinking it looked like a fun place to go bouldering - admiring the mountains and empathising with her comments about how fun it is to explore newer bouldering areas, just climbing without knowing what problem you're on, or how hard something is.
In reply to UKC News:
When I watched this first time round I didn't see the product placement so I watched it again after the various comments and still it didn't shout out to me.
The delivery is very calm and relaxed and perhaps that is what it was designed to communicate - someone enjoying a peaceful time in the mountains without the hordes and doing something she really likes.
It makes a pleasant change from the hyper whooping rapid fire stuff that is sometimes a feature of climbing videos.
 Mick Ward 08 Dec 2017
In reply to 1234None:

I agree. Am still scratching my head a little re the sponsorship, real or supposed. Even someone as old skool as me would agree that, these days, bouldering without a mat is a bit bonkers. (Memories of those beer mats: shudder! As Phil Kelly once noted, when you couldn't see your soggy beer mat any more, things were getting a bit 'highball' - as we'd say now.) And don't most mats have their makers' names on them? Apart from that, a discreet logo or two; again, unless you get your clothes from the local charity shop (oops!), there are going to be logos. Were the multitudes at Kendal all paid by sponsors? Maybe they were.

On a more personal note, I haven't seen this area since camping there in 1975. A pretty intense love affair in Bradford (of all places!) had imploded and I ended up at Plan de l'Aiguille (of all other places). My mate couldn't stand the solitude and ate all the food, so we had to go back down to Cham. But I loved being up there, close to the mountains. It nourished my soul. And watching this little video brings it all back. So thank you.

Mick

Robert Durran 08 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC News:

Lovely, understated, little film. Baffled by the criticism.
 full stottie 09 Dec 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Lovely, understated, little film. Baffled by the criticism.

I'm with you on that. Sponsorship-driven film? I didn't think so in any way. It was just too short, but it conveyed a calm atmosphere in the mountains, and we'll probably see much more of people bouldering in such places in future.
 Michael Gordon 09 Dec 2017
In reply to Robert Durran:

> Lovely, understated, little film. Baffled by the criticism.

Yes, I think some folk watch these videos actually with a view to being cynical about them!
 chrisprescott 09 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC News:
Hi everyone, Chris here (I shot and edited the film). I'd usually avoid commenting on threads about my own films like the plague but thought i'd wade in at this point to give me 2 cents regarding sponsorship, product placement etc.

Firstly i'd like to clarify that yes this project was funded by Mountain Equipment (the logo at the start might give this away) but no other brands were involved in any way. Although I work with many brands I have no input into the design or placement of logos on their equipment and this is not something I can control. Mountain Equipment helped fund the project but there was no direction on content or insistence on product placement. We approached them with an idea, asked them for support and they agreed, they trusted us to create a film that fitted within the original idea and that's what we delivered. Apart from straight up product videos commissioned directly by clients I have never been told what to do by a brand and never would accept it if they did try and provide direction. Having integrity as a filmmaker is vital, I want to tell a story and don't want this to be compromised by worrying about getting shots of a particular product, logo or location (apart from when this is what i'm being asked to do!).

Living in Chamonix and seeing the beauty and quiet of the autumn time, when less tourists visit, the air is fresh and the colours are stunning is what motivated us to make this film, nothing more. There have been many many films made in and around the Mont Blanc massif (one of our biggest projects last year 'Shifting Dreams' was about the Voie Petit on the Grand Capucin) but i've seen very few about bouldering in the valley.

Although the purists amongst you i'm sure would prefer to see Natalie climbing in a range of unbranded beige coloured clothing with logos taped over with duct tape unfortunately this isn't the reality of the industry today. Although there are people making great adventure film content off their own backs and at their own time and expense that doesn't produce a sustainable film industry. Films take a lot of time, man (and woman) power and cost to produce and without funding from brands and elsewhere they wouldn't get made in the first place. Having worked with Mountain Equipment on many projects over the years i'm hugely appreciative of their help in bringing film ideas to fruition and without them I doubt many of the projects would have been made in the first place.

One of the great things about the digital age is access to endless amounts of content available at the click of a button, all shades of filmmaking are available and nothing is compelling you to watch content you don't like. If films shot entirely on a GoPro and edited in someone's living room are more your bag go and seek them out!
 bouldery bits 09 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC News:

I thought it was good.
 martinturner 09 Dec 2017
In reply to chrisprescott:

Fair play for coming out and speaking up for yourself!

Personally, I thought it was a visually brilliant video and enjoyed the environment in which it was filmed!

I think this is a time to reflect on something the great Taylor Swift once wrote....
‘Haters gon hate hate hate hate hate, shake it off, shake it off’
 FreshSlate 09 Dec 2017
In reply to UKC News:

> Our Friday Night Video this week features none other than UKC's Editor Natalie Berry. She recently moved out to Chamonix and this film explores her motivation for being in the mountains, whilst the seasons change and the valley empties. The film sees Natalie taking the cable car up to Plan de l'Aiguille and bouldering, whilst appreciating the breathtaking scenery.

> Read more

I can't say I really noticed any overt shots of logos apart from the start of course. It's a great looking film and takes in some very nice scenery if a bit short and lacking in climbing.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...