UKC

ARTICLE: The Next 9c in the World will be…

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 28 Feb 2023

2022 was a phenomenal year for the cutting edge of sport climbing, and we should expect nothing less for the year ahead. It's only February and two new 9b+s have already made headlines, both less than a week apart.

If the past few weeks are any indication of what's to come, you heard it here first – we're going to see another new 9c this year.

But which one, where and by whom? Here are my top 5 predictions…

Read more

Tyler 28 Feb 2023
In reply to UKC Articles:

Excellent article, thank you 

Spanish Jack 28 Feb 2023

Psyche inducing!!

Michael Gordon 28 Feb 2023

Yes, great article. For a piece about hard sport grades, actually very interesting!

RBonney 01 Mar 2023

There was an old climbing film I forget the name of but it showed Sharma and Dani Andrada starting to work Golpe de Estado. It was amazing to see how hard they worked at it. There was a whole crux section where they struggled to figure out and do ~5 moves in a row. Then they got to the big crux. They showed Sharma trying it myriad of different ways. Andrada said he reckoned Sharma tried that 1 move about 200 times before he stuck it in isolation. Incredible dedication. 

abarro81 01 Mar 2023

> which he dubbed 'Move Integral', a nod to another of his hardest ascents, Beyond Integral (9b/+)

Unless I'm missing something, is this not just common French practice of using "intégral" (complete) to denote extensions that go to the top of the cliff? Or is there some wordplay I'm missing?

Post edited at 08:36
 TheGeneralist 01 Mar 2023

Am I the only one that thought the picture was Craig Y Longridge?

( teleported to Torridon)

racodemisa 01 Mar 2023

Is there not one or two more projects left and  R of Biographie at Ceuse ?

Tyler 01 Mar 2023

Anyone know if Bombe Bleu at Buoux is still considered a project or is it one of those mythical/impossible things that us old men get misty eyed over like Wizard Ridge? This article says it’s possible but doesn’t say if all the moves have been done. I know the French comp coach has also been for a look but come away empty handed. 

https://www.planetmountain.com/en/news/climbing/bombe-bleu-at-buoux-work-in...

Post edited at 14:17
 remus Global Crag Moderator 01 Mar 2023
In reply to Tyler:

> Anyone know if Bombe Bleu at Buoux is still considered a project or is it one of those mythical/impossible things that us old men get misty eyed over like Wizard Ridge? This article says it’s possible but doesn’t say if all the moves have been done. I know the French comp coach has also been for a look but come away empty handed. 

Nico Pelorson has been trying it recently, sounds like he was pretty close (I think he said he'd done it form 1 or 2 moves in?).

There might be a 9c in UK.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...