UKC

INTERVIEW: Time on Rock by Anna Fleming

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 06 Jan 2022

Released today (6 January), Anna Fleming's debut book Time on Rock: A Climber's Route into the Mountains, published by Canongate, is a story of a young woman's climbing apprenticeship with a socio-cultural and geological bent. Anna's ten-year climbing journey takes her from a dusty indoor wall in Liverpool to the gritstone outcrops, Welsh slate, Lake District rhyolite, Moray sandstone, Cuillin gabbro, Cairngorm granite and Kalymnian limestone. It's an adventurous coming-of-age tale in part, but Anna's scope in Time on Rock is also far broader.

Anna is a Welsh writer, Mountain Leader and PhD graduate based in Edinburgh. Natalie Berry shared a conversation with Anna about climbing, geology, culture, history and found out what her time on rock has taught her about the natural world and her own identity as a climber, woman and human being...

Read more

Chris_Mellor 06 Jan 2022
In reply to UKC Articles:

Fascinating interview. What wonderful highways and byways there are in climbing! I've added it to my books-to-buy list.

GrahamD 06 Jan 2022

I accidentally tuned into an interview with her on R5 and my journey flew by ! I kept waiting for her to to tripped up by the stock media questions and every time she came back with a well considered answer I could pretty well relate to. 

Robert Durran 06 Jan 2022
In reply to GrahamD:

Here is the interview. Starts just after 2 hours:  https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m00132n6

I thought it was very good from both the interviewer and from Anna.

Post edited at 19:19
 olek632 07 Jan 2022

Amazing piece.

TomGB 07 Jan 2022

Great interview, very much looking forward to attending the book launch in Edinburgh on the 14th (tickets still available!) and reading the book. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...