UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Tits Up At Sunday Sport

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 18 Sep 2006
"Whilst reaching for the third clip I slipped and fell from the limestone, at the same time I bit down hard on the rope."

Something many of us do, often without thinking, can lead to dire consequences.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=207
 tobyfk 18 Sep 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

What's the crag in the side photo, Mick? I am guessing Owens River Gorge?
ultra montane 18 Sep 2006

Sorry to hear about your accident.
I've been climbing for around 20 years, and never, NEVER have I even considered putting the rope between my teeth.
 CJD 18 Sep 2006

mmmmmphhhhh <clutching mouth>

this is one of my worst fears. And it's so early in the morning.

ouuuchheeee.
 Mick Ward 18 Sep 2006
In reply to tobyfk:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)

> I am guessing Owens River Gorge?

Don't think so...

Mick

Derbyshire Ben 18 Sep 2006

Sorry to hear about your accident - get well soon.

I've politely 'told off' a bunch of people for moving whilst holding the rope in their mouths over the last few years - it's really dangerous. It's usually a novice sport climber, gripped and trying to clip a bolt from below and being really stretched out.

Holding it between teeth momentarily whilst stationary to get extra rope out is OK (but still a bit risky) - but if you are doing this a lot, try and think about moving higher or level with the the bolt before clipping so you don't need as much rope out - it's also a lot less strenuous.

tobyfk 18 Sep 2006

Damn. It's one of the gorge routes rather than main area, right?
 KeithW 18 Sep 2006

Well that literally 'set my teeth on edge'.
I'd always assumed that if anyone fell with the rope in their teeth, the first impulse would be to yell and therefore drop the rope. Obviously not!
rich 18 Sep 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: eek! you can almost imagine the forces and the jolt involved too?

i like how simply it was written as well

all the best recovering :¬)
 SonyaD 18 Sep 2006
That sounded real nasty! All the best for your recovery. Certainly makes you think about holding the rope in your mouth, something which I do occasionly (not when moving tho, just stationary, as I pull up a bit more slack, being as one poster mentioned above, below the bolt and stretching up to clip) Bet you're glad you can start having things other than soup now!
 A Crook 18 Sep 2006

felt very sick reading this

I have always had nighmares about teeth faling out and have to say never put the rope in my teeth whilst moving.

Yes maybe to hold the rope when I have to reach high for a clip. Never again.

the smart sock 18 Sep 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Ouch! Hope you get better soon mate!

Dean 18 Sep 2006

I think it's not Mick who wrote the article (and thus with a broken jaw).....
Yorkspud 18 Sep 2006

I bet he's feeling a bit jaundiced
 Mick Ward 18 Sep 2006
In reply to balti boy:

> have to say never put the rope in my teeth whilst moving.

That's the whole point. Go to any serious sport crag and you'll find dozens of people putting the rope in your teeth - half the time, you have to. But not moving.

Mick
 Mick Ward 18 Sep 2006
In reply to Mick Ward:

Err... meant 'in their teeth'. Suppose, if it was your teeth, it would be the offical UKC bondage party!

Mick
 Pauline 18 Sep 2006

so to clarify! If my sprog pulls some slack up to clip and still hasnt got enuf to get the clip he is allowed although it is a bit dodgey to hold the loop he already has in his teeth... this is what he does now if he didnt get enuf.
How else can you keep it whilst pullling more rope up?
I know.... climb higher but in his oh my god i'm gonna die moments all he wants to do is clip in not climb higher!
 Mick Ward 18 Sep 2006
In reply to Pauline:

> but in his oh my god i'm gonna die moments all he wants to do is clip in not climb higher!

Give him a ton of slack! That'll sort him out. You seen Fred's whippers on the vid?

Mick (scaredy cat)
Kinley 18 Sep 2006

Check the orthopaedic journals over the next few years. That's bound to be written up as a new way to fracture the incisive bone. You'll be famous!
Ste Brom 18 Sep 2006
In reply to Kinley: i remember some bloke called nigel doing something similar at pembroke...
 AlXN 18 Sep 2006

Ouch! What a horrific thing to happen. Thanks for sharing the experience and hope you can smile again soon.

Enty 18 Sep 2006
In reply to tobyfk:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> What's the crag in the side photo, Mick? I am guessing Owens River Gorge?

No ones biting fnar fnar

The Ent
 Dominion 18 Sep 2006

Ouch...

Remember - always be prepared to open your mouth and scream if you fall off whilst temporarily holding your rope in your mouth when taking in rope to reach the next clip.

Sunday Sport is horribly polished anyway, and I was only seconding it when I tried it...
klmull 25 Sep 2006
In reply to Pauline:

Generally I try to 'grip' it by jamming the rope against the wall using my knee.... I'ts a little easier and much safer!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...