UKC

NEWS: Two different Climbers, Two fine Achievements

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Jack Geldard 11 Jun 2008
Sonnie Trotter came to Scotland to climb Rhapsody. He put his cards on the table, in the full media spotlight, with all the pressures that come with being open about your ambitions. He gave it his all and he succeeded. The route didn't go without a fight, Sonnie had to extend his stay not once, but twice. Climbers chipped in with financial help - enabling him to stay longer and complete his goal.

Read More With Exclusive Interview: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=06&year=2008#n44731

Neil Dickson walked slowly up to Cloggy last Sunday morning. His climbing partner for the day was John Redhead, his intended route - Margins of the Mind. Climbing on sight, with no knowledge of the route (Redhead couldn't remember where it started - it was over twenty years since he had passed a chalked finger over the wall) Neil slowly inched his way upwards on tiny holds with no meaningful protection.

Read More With Interview & VIDEO: http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/older.html?month=06&year=2008#n44731
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC:

God that's a good effort (Neil D I mean, though the other as well, obviously).

Stunning pictures as well.

jcm
 alexrp 11 Jun 2008

First time I've heard of Neil Dickson but I think I'll remember the name. Sounds like a very impressive attempt. Very frightening to watch and read about! I just can't imagine how mentally tough someone must have to be to attempt a route like that.

Don't quote me btw but I think Quetzalcoatl is spelled like this, not as you have it.

jcm
OP Jack Geldard 11 Jun 2008
In reply to johncoxmysteriously: Thanks John,

Now updated.

Jack
 John2 11 Jun 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Jack, your news reports are surely world leading. Outstanding ascents as they happen, with video footage and credible interviews.
 john howard 1 11 Jun 2008
In reply to John2: <<<what he said
In reply to John2: Wow,

Thanks! I've been working pretty hard.

<ahem> I'll slip you that fiver later! </ahem>

Seriously - Thanks to Sonnie and Neil and Hotaches and Posing Productions.

Things happen fast with the web and they all responded so quickly it was astonishing.

Good effort to both climbers!

Jack
 abarro81 11 Jun 2008
Inspiring stuff from both of them.
 atlantis 11 Jun 2008

With regard to the link on Sonnie, and I Quote:

Climbers chipped in with financial help - enabling him to stay longer and complete his goal.

I don't think they did, if you read his blog you will see, yes they offered, but he refused and did not accept a penny, it was a nice gesture of encouragement however.
In reply to atlantis: Thanks Atlantis - now updated.

Jack
 atlantis 11 Jun 2008

No worries
Just I've been following it all over here, on their blogs and via interactions.
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: glad to see an onsighter in the news. We all seem to get worked up about rhaps, but had this been climbed it would be a similar achievement. Well done to both of them anyway and I hope Neil gets some more awesome hard routes ticked.
 Kenny Stocker 12 Jun 2008
In reply to Jack Geldard - Editor - UKC: Fantastic stuff, Ueli Steck would probably have been nearly up and down the Eiger in the same time as Neils attempt on Margins, whilst Sonnie has dedicated 2 extended trips accross the Atlantic just to work Rhapsody.. all great efforts and just goes to show how diverse climbing is.

david Pike 12 Jun 2008
In reply to alpkid: awesome and scary as f*** well done that lad.. Bold as you can get

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...