/ Norrie Muir RIP

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
paraffin on 17 Apr 2019

Very sad news.

Norrie Muir has passed away. I have no more details other than his funeral will be at Clydebank Crematorium, Dalnottar. 15:30 hrs Thursday 25 April.

subtle on 17 Apr 2019
In reply to paraffin:

Very sad news indeed, an icon in scottish climbing - and his acerbic wit has been sadly missed on here these last few years.

leon 1 on 17 Apr 2019
In reply to paraffin: RIP Norrie. A great climber of some magnificent routes and a very funny man. Condolences to his family and many friends and acquaintances.

For those too young to know 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norrie_Muir

Post edited at 16:20
Euge - on 17 Apr 2019
In reply to paraffin:

That is sad news... he was quite vocal on this site a few years ago and I always enjoyed his stories, especially his solo of Centurion on The Ben...

RIP Norrie

Post edited at 16:49
Pursued by a bear - on 17 Apr 2019
In reply to paraffin:

His contributions to this site enlivened it greatly.  Sorry to hear that he's no longer with us, but the memory of him shall remain.

T.

Eric9Points - on 17 Apr 2019
In reply to paraffin:

That's a shock, he couldn't have been that old.

Sorry to hear that.

Darren Jackson - on 17 Apr 2019
In reply to paraffin:

RIP Norrie... He's left a great legacy in his routes, and he was always good value on these forums.

Deleted bagger - on 17 Apr 2019
In reply to paraffin:

Sad news. There's some footage of him climbing on the Cobbler in winter on Utube somewhere.

bouldery bits - on 17 Apr 2019
In reply to paraffin:

Sad news indeed.

streapadair - on 17 Apr 2019
In reply to Deleted bagger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13bfbBED3Jc

Norrie with the tache, Arthur the fresh-faced youth.

Sorry to hear the news. Norrie was the stuff of legends.

Captain Solo on 17 Apr 2019
In reply to Deleted bagger:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13bfbBED3Jc

Sad to hear this, he was a character indeed. I was lucky to spend a wee climbing trip with him up in the NW about ten years ago. I remember sorting the gear for a winter attempt on East Buttress on Beinn Eighe and asked him how many quickdraws he wanted to take. He suggested three would be enough. He still had that woolly orange balaclava in place of a helmet. All the best Norrie.

Heike - on 17 Apr 2019
In reply to paraffin:

I am really sad to hear this. He was a great guy.

Trangia on 17 Apr 2019
In reply to paraffin:

Very sad news. I was sorry when he stopped posting on this forum a few years back

abr1966 - on 17 Apr 2019
In reply to paraffin:

RIP Norrie.....never met him, crossed swords on here a few times with him but huge respect to him and his generation of climbers.

toad - on 17 Apr 2019
In reply to paraffin:

Not sure i always appreciated his posting, but he definitely added to the forums

65 - on 17 Apr 2019
In reply to paraffin:

Davie

Really saddened to hear this. The forums were poorer for his absence, and now Scottish climbing is that wee bit less entertaining and special as well. Sincere condolences to his family and the CDMC.

paraffin on 17 Apr 2019
In reply to 65:

Thank you 65 and everyone else for your kind comments. I have posted a link to this UKC thread into the Creag Dhu MC Members private Facebook page. So all your comments will be appreciated by his close friends, family and fellow members. Thank you.

Minneconjou Sioux on 18 Apr 2019
In reply to paraffin:

He was a legend on this forum back in the day. Always knew never to engage in forum combat with Norrie. He was certainly one of the few who could walk the talk.

RIP - sad news indeed.

The Lemming - on 18 Apr 2019
In reply to paraffin:

I too wish to offer my condolences to Norrie's family.

The site was never boring when Norrie was about.

The New NickB - on 18 Apr 2019
In reply to Eric9Points:

71 according to Wikipedia. As others have said a great contribution to Scottish climbing and for a time he certainly enlivened these forums with his robust posting style.

Dogwatch - on 09:28 Thu

I enjoyed his forum contributions, the information and the dry wit. Perhaps he didn't suffer gladly those he took for fools but I found if you treated him with respect he was fine with those with different opinions to his own. RIP Norrie.

L Andy 1902 on 13:39 Thu
In reply to paraffin:

Naughty. See https://www.ukclimbing.com/user/profile.php?id=13126

UKC was good in the old days, the forums are missing something now.

RIP Norrie

ScraggyGoat on 13:57 Thu

Norrie certainly enlivened these forums, and always gave good advice, packaged in his own style. 

It would be nice if the UKC editorial team rose to the occasion and published/sought an Obituary.

I remember him mentioning he still had one new route on the Ben he wanted to do, I hope he managed it. 

johncoxmysteriously - on 14:01 Thu
In reply to paraffin:

Sad news. Didn’t know him personally but a valued contributor on here and of course to Scottish climbing.

Imagine the chutzpah to solo Centurion in 1971. Chapeau, and RIP.

jcm

Grahame N - on 14:35 Thu
In reply to ScraggyGoat:

> Norrie certainly enlivened these forums, and always gave good advice, packaged in his own style. 

> It would be nice if the UKC editorial team rose to the occasion and published/sought an Obituary.

Sad news, and yes it would be great if UKC (Natalie where are you?) could look through Norrie's posts and put together some of his gems, for us to re-live.

I remember being at the CIC one weekend early 80's and Norrie and some mates turned up (not booked of course). All they had to eat was a sack of spuds and a big bottle of cooking oil with which they made chips.

Humphrey Jungle - on 14:44 Thu
In reply to Grahame N:

Very sad. As someone said an elder statesman who did not suffer fools gladly.

Always used to open the popcorn and pull up a chair when some young whippersnapper decided to take him on.

RIP.

OMR - on 15:09 Thu
In reply to paraffin:

Ach, sorry to hear that. Never met but he made several kind comments over the years on my blog, which rather belied the formidable reputation he seems to have had on this forum. One of the good guys I suspect. (And loved the post above about the three quickdraws!)

L Andy 1902 on 15:44 Thu
In reply to Andy 1902:

The link details have been changed. Thank you.

Roadrunner6 - on 15:56 Thu
In reply to paraffin:

That's sad, he was 71? He looked spritely the one time I met him but that was 15 years ago. The old Glasgow effect holds even for someone who was active and fit. 

Peter Walker on 16:36 Thu

Very sad. Always seemed to end any exchange with him on the forums both gently ribbed and better informed.

paraffin on 17:19 Thu
In reply to Grahame N:

Natalie Berry did a good article on fellow CDMC member John Cullen. 

From knowing Norrie personally for over 43 years I do not think anyone could or should capture the essence of Norrie. Also In a strange way Norrie actively discouraged publicity around his and fellow CDMC members exploits. 

In his own well used words, “Naw, naw, naw.”

Tom Last - on 20:45 Thu
In reply to paraffin:

Ah, sad to hear this. He was a great presence on here; funny, experienced, acerbic. I’d always hoped he might make it back to this fold.

RIP Norrie. 

Colin Moody - on 22:38 Thu
In reply to Euge:

> That is sad news...  his solo of Centurion on The Ben...

I first met him on the Cobbler 43 years ago, he led me up a few routes but only placed a couple of runners that day.

I was surprised to see he got sewing machine leg like the rest of us!

Marc C - on 11:13 Fri
In reply to paraffin: Sad news I enjoyed Norrie's acerbic yet witty laconicism. 

nufkin - on 11:56 Fri
In reply to Peter Walker:

>  Always seemed to end any exchange with him on the forums both gently ribbed and better informed

I shall always remember him for teaching me what the emoticon is for a bared arse

( x )

michaelb1 - on 14:31 Fri
In reply to paraffin:

I enjoyed reading his comments on here over the years. Never realised what a good climber he was until I read the Ken Crocket Nevis book. The only one of Norrie's routes I've done is fawlty towers, which he would have probably regarded as very small beer, but exciting enough for me. 

JimR - on 15:00 Fri
In reply to michaelb1:

That’s a shocker! First met Norrie at th bottom of the etive slabs in the mid 70s, this place was the poorer for his absence. Sympathies to his family and friends 

fmck - on 20:51 Fri
In reply to nufkin:

That was good and one I missed! 

Deadeye - on 21:17 Fri
In reply to paraffin:

: (

That's a real shame - he was a goldmine of information and advice.

Sadly missed.

Doghouse - on 18:35 Sat
In reply to paraffin:

Never met Norrie but really enjoyed his posts on here. A sad loss.

clampton - on 18:50 Sat
In reply to paraffin:

> Natalie Berry did a good article on fellow CDMC member John Cullen. 

> From knowing Norrie personally for over 43 years I do not think anyone could or should capture the essence of Norrie. Also In a strange way Norrie actively discouraged publicity around his and fellow CDMC members exploits. 

> In his own well used words, “Naw, naw, naw.”

Spot on Davie 

Colin 

Mike-W-99 on 19:36 Sat
In reply to paraffin:

Norrie found his way to the Scottishhills website. Posted the occasional gem and seemed a bit more relaxed.

http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8688

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.