UKC

French Alps with kids - summer

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 ablackett 25 Mar 2024

Hi,

I'm looking at sorting a trip to the alps this summer, me and Mrs ABlackett and our 2 kids.  We are both teachers, so we can take a month.  We are planning on being at Alpe d'huez for the Tour de France Femmes on 18th August, other than that we are looking for ideas of the best places and things to do with two kids.  We have a campervan.

Kids are 6 and 7, both fit and adventurous, but we have never taken them on walks with >5-600m ascent, we have done some wild camping in the lakes and several multi day road cycling trips including the full length of the Hebrides a couple of years ago.  

I'm looking for ideas for places with good family campsites, or good day walks, or good multi-day walks with easy stages and wild camping, or good easy multi-day road cycling, or a combination of all these things.

I realise that there are probably 100 places which fit some of these criteria, but I'm not too experienced in the alps and I'm looking for ideas to narrow down the planning.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

chiroshi 26 Mar 2024
In reply to ablackett:

We had a great time here last summer:

https://camping-freissinieres.fr/

It's on the Col d'Izoard loop and in reach of a few more. The camping has small-ish pitches (keeps the great whites out) nestled amongst the trees and a lovely river running either side of it so great in the summer heat. 

There are some great hikes up into the Ecrins at the end of the valley too. 

Doug 26 Mar 2024
In reply to ablackett:

there's been several threads on variations on this question, worth a search. One frequent suggestion was Briançon & surrounding region including eg the Queyras & Ailefroide.

NorthernGoat 26 Mar 2024
In reply to ablackett:

Hi Andy,

Having done it with 3 kids (9, 7, 4) for the past few years these are my takeaways

1) it's hot. Trying to drag kids out walking in 30+ degrees can be miserable. Manage your expectations of what's feasible.

2) it's still hot. Sploshing up streams and rivers is great fun and very cooling

3) it's still really hot. Campsites with pools are well worth it.

4) via ferrata is great fun. If you look there are some kid friendly routes.

5) ski lifts aren't cheating to avoid a 1000m slog to get high.

I'm sure some others will come back to me

OP ablackett 26 Mar 2024
In reply to NorthernGoat:
Thanks all, that's interesting to get a starting point with a few areas to look at.

All points taken, agreed that if it's 30deg we would be looking to muck about in rivers or in the pool.  I'll look up some kid friendly via ferrata.

In reply to ablackett:

As other's have said Vallouise and Briancon area is a great options for families. 

The camps site at les Vigneaux is good, there are two sides one with pool and more establish and the second a bit more wild and by the river.

for activities there are a few via ferrata that are great for kids. I have a free guide here https://www.ecrinscollective.com/guidebook/via-ferrata I also have a free app with the routes on. 

There are some really good walking routes for families. mainly day routes but some good one to mountain refuges.

For biking it's more known for the tour's mountain stages but there is some easier options for families.

Quite a few lakes to go swimming in.

Let me know if you want some info

Cheers Rob 

OP ablackett 26 Mar 2024
In reply to ecrinscollective:

Thanks Rob, that sounds magnificent. Are you based there? I’ll have a look at a few maps and get a feel for it and then it would be great to get some more details from you.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Hovercraft 26 Mar 2024
In reply to ablackett:

I sometimes feel like a stuck record raving on UKC about Vallouise and the Ecrins, and have been trying to resist the temptation to do so again on this thread... but having had 4 wonderful family summer holidays there, starting when our boys were 6 and 8, I am going to play the tune again. 

Every year we say "we really ought to go somewhere different next year", before thinking about it and coming to the conclusion we probably won't find anywhere more suitable, for our family at least.

The one caveat I would make is that my youngest kid isn't a great walker.  So our Vallouise holidays have been self-organised multi-activity "adventures", rather than walking or multi-day cycling.

Like Rob, I'm very happy to give you some more info based on our experiences if you want.  But Rob is a local so will know a lot more than me.

In reply to ablackett:

I am based down the road from Vallouise full time. I work here as a rock climbing instructor/coach, international mountain leader and kayak guide. I don't have my own kids but I also have a company that runs schools trips here so spend a lot of time looking for activities for kids. For me it's one of the best adventure playgrounds for adults and kids, so much to do. 

Hovercraft's kind offer of help also may be good from the non activity family time, I tend to hand them back to teachers for that bit and I am sure he know a lot of the activities as well

Have a look at some maps and feel free to drop me a line. 

OP ablackett 27 Mar 2024
In reply to ecrinscollective:

That’s brilliant, thank you. Give me a week or so to browse some maps and get my head round the geography and I’ll send you both a message. 

The generosity of folk on here is fantastic. I felt pretty silly posting my initial question, like I’m asking someone to plan my holiday for me. I was expecting “that’s part of the adventure” type responses. Many thanks for your initial responses.

Richard Horn 28 Mar 2024
In reply to Doug:

Back in the day took my wife (then g/f) to Ailefroide for a week in July, its literal translation (cold wing) certainly felt like an accurate description!

Rob Exile Ward 30 Mar 2024
In reply to Richard Horn:

We stumbled across a great campsite last year - Camping D'Izoard above Brunissard, and thought at the time it would be great for kids. Shady, no traffic, swimming lake, and all sorts of walks, VFs and climbing nearby.

ChrisBrooke 30 Mar 2024
In reply to Hovercraft:

Hi Hovercraft. You may feel like a stuck record but I’ve missed previous threads on this topic. I’d love to hear more of your recommendations. I’m  just starting to plan a 4 week summer trip with my kids (7,9). At the moment I’m thinking of 10 days around Innsbruck/Otztal and maybe 10 days around Kranjska Gora in Slovenia, maybe a week around Cortina D’Ampezzo and some driving etc. 

I’m flexible however and would love to be convinced of other areas where you can: walk up hills; see gorgeous alpine views; easy via ferrata; bolted multi pitch; white water rafting; horse riding……….crazy golf? 😉 I.e adventurous but not ridiculous wholesome family outdoors fun  

Cheers. 

Tom Guitarist 30 Mar 2024
In reply to ablackett:

Campsite in Venosc is stunning, not too far from AdH. We've only been in winter, but I'm led to believe that there is stunning hiking and even Via Ferrata from the site. Lovely restaurant on site too, and a free gondola up into town (Les Deux Alpes). Very jealous of your trip, my wife is in the wedding industry so we can't get much time away in summer. 

Hovercraft 31 Mar 2024
In reply to ChrisBrooke:

> Hi Hovercraft. You may feel like a stuck record but I’ve missed previous threads on this topic. I’d love to hear more of your recommendations. I’m  just starting to plan a 4 week summer trip with my kids (7,9). At the moment I’m thinking of 10 days around Innsbruck/Otztal and maybe 10 days around Kranjska Gora in Slovenia, maybe a week around Cortina D’Ampezzo and some driving etc. 

> I’m flexible however and would love to be convinced of other areas where you can: walk up hills; see gorgeous alpine views; easy via ferrata; bolted multi pitch; white water rafting; horse riding……….crazy golf? 😉 I.e adventurous but not ridiculous wholesome family outdoors fun  

> Cheers. 

Hi Chris, no problem, I’ll drop you a note in the next few days when I can

OP ablackett 31 Mar 2024
In reply to Tom Guitarist:

> Campsite in Venosc is stunning, 

Thanks Tom, is it this site

https://www.champ-du-moulin.com/en/

or this one

http://www.camping-cascade.com/fr/camping.html
which looks a bit more rustic which you have stayed at?

That looks just the ticket for somewhere near Alpe d'huez, free cable car into town, then presumably some good options for summer uplift out of Les duex alpe for some walking options in the Ecrin.

ChrisBrooke 31 Mar 2024
In reply to Hovercraft:

Fantastic. Thanks. 

RX-78 31 Mar 2024
In reply to ablackett:

Venosc is very pretty, the best walking is away from les 2 alps direction. Lac le lauvitel is very pretty and people swim in it etc, also a nice refugio at the other nearby lac, muzelle. Les 2 alpes holds lots of summer events, dancing competitions etc. We saw  some world cup cross country and down hill MTB last year. 

Shapeshifter 31 Mar 2024
In reply to ablackett:

Another vote for Rob Benton’s ecrinscollective suggestions. Ailefroide and the other areas around Vallouise offer great camping, swimming, VF, walking, climbing and biking options for kids. 

Tom Guitarist 01 Apr 2024
In reply to ablackett:

Champ du Moulin is where we've stayed.

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...