UKC

Wadi Rum Film

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Robert Durran 07 Feb 2018

Just to give this short film an (admittedly shameless!) plug.  It seems to have passed somewhat under the radar on here - I missed it myself until now!

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/ukc/pertex_elemental_journeys_ep3_ndash_s...

jon 07 Feb 2018
In reply to Robert Durran:

That was great, Rob, really enjoyed it. Well done.

Lusk 07 Feb 2018

"A maths teacher from England."

!!!

Removed User 07 Feb 2018

Cracking. Proper adventure. I can see why you've been drawn back so many times, not just for the climbing.

A really lovely film (beautifully put together), but beautiful in lots of other ways. 

SimonTp 07 Feb 2018

It conveys a beautiful sense of tranquillity. I really enjoyed it. I hope you enjoyed making it. (A relief that the budget ran to getting you a new set of trousers though.)

skog 07 Feb 2018

Great, thanks!

Brought back some happy memories, too.

mbh 07 Feb 2018

Lovely film. I really enjoyed watching that.

OP Robert Durran 08 Feb 2018
In reply to Lusk:

> "A maths teacher from England."

> !!!

Mmmm......... Well I was born near Reading!

OP Robert Durran 08 Feb 2018
In reply to SimonTp:

> It conveys a beautiful sense of tranquillity. I really enjoyed it. I hope you enjoyed making it.

The time spent filming in the desert with the Bedouin and the team from Coldhouse was absolutely extraordinary - one of the most memorable weeks of my life.

> (A relief that the budget ran to getting you a new set of trousers though.)

But those aren't just trousers; they're Terrex Lite Flex Pants! Very comfy too.

IM 08 Feb 2018

Great wee film.

Thank you ! I really enjoyed that.

Mr. Lee 09 Feb 2018

Good film. I think I need to go back to Wadi Rum now.

BALD EAGLE 09 Feb 2018

Hi Robert

What a great film that is beautifully shot with some sumptuous aerial footage (which is quite dear to me!) so a maa-hoosive congrats to all involved and well done you! Would love to visit the Wadi Rum one day as it looks most excellent...
Cheers

Dave 

Carless 09 Feb 2018

An excellent film - thanks

beardy mike 09 Feb 2018

Odd - I'd always pictured you as a gruff Scotsman! Great film and makes me want to go back!

Offwidth 09 Feb 2018

Well deserved plug. Brings back memories of exploring and climbing in Sinai with the local Bedouin. Cheers!

Jon Stewart 09 Feb 2018

Really enjoyed the film, thanks for posting.  Reignited old plans for a trip. 

David Coley 10 Feb 2018

Enjoyed that! 

Conor1 11 Feb 2018

Beautiful film, and really captures the spirit of climbing in Wadi Rum. Chapeau!

jon 12 Feb 2018

Hi Rob, can you explain why this area is safe? The natural reaction of most people would be to give it a wide berth at the moment, given its proximity to well known dangerous places. It's a place that's been on the list for a long time and I'd just like to be better informed to make a decision. Thanks.

flaneur 12 Feb 2018
In reply to jon:

Terrorism is a possibility in Jordan as it is in London or any major western city. The risk-benefit equation for the prospective terrorist wanting to kill or kidnap westerners makes Wadi Rum an unlikely choice: a dozen at most highly dispersed targets who are probably a lot more comfortable with the terrain than you versus hundreds concentrated in Petra. The most nervous might want to avoid visiting at the same time as the Israeli Alpine Club.

The riskiest non-climbing part of visiting Wadi Rum is the journey from Amman, meaning traffic rather than terrorists. The most vulnerable point to terrorism will proably be the airport, which could be Geneva (or Heathrow or Manchester) as much as Amman.

flaneur 12 Feb 2018
In reply to jon:

Robert will have a much better idea about the Wadi Rum locals but I don't get the impression Jordanians in general and the Bedouin in particular are fertile ground for terrorist recruiters.

A intelligence historian and journalist's view: http://www.matthewaid.com/post/156212540986/why-does-jordan-produce-so-few-...

OP Robert Durran 12 Feb 2018
In reply to jon:

Hi Jon, obviously nowhere is completely safe and you have to make your own decision, but I think there is no doubt that, avoiding border areas with Syria and with some common sense, Jordan is a lot safer than you might think from looking at a small scale map of the Middle East. Flaneur's linked article makes interesting reading; certainly people in Wadi Rum seem to have nothing but contempt for the extremists (and they have certainly suffered from the backlash of reduced tourism). There is, I suppose, always the risk of an isolated extremist, but it seems unlikely that anyone really wanting to attack foreigners would look further than the airport or Petra ( indeed Petra had airport style security at the entrance when we were filming there) or obvious targets in Amman. I have certainly felt absolutely no sense of threat when filming in November or on my last visit two years before. Jordan is an overwhelmingly friendly country. One thing in the FCO advice is that it might be advisable to pre book a taxi (the usual way if getting from the airport to Run or Petra) to avoid the risk of a rogue driver and I imagine this could be arranged through one of the outfits in Rum. Unfortunately, it seems Turkish airlines have discontinued their convenient flight to Aqaba.

Although we met no other climbers while filming (we did spend little time in the village), there is no doubt that tourism has already bounced back in Rum, which was pretty much deserted two years.

Anyway, if you do decide to go, I hope you have a great trip - it's a brilliant place!

In reply to flaneur:

> The most nervous might want to avoid visiting at the same time as the Israeli Alpine Club.

I have met quite a few Israeli climbers in Rum and they seemed welcome and quite at home there. Unfortunately, I believe that after some border incidents it has become much harder for Israelis to visit.

In reply to David Coley:

> Enjoyed that! 

Hi David, glad you enjoyed it. The easy route we did two years ago provided a convenient descent and some of the long shots of us on the "new" route (the parallel ridge to the south) were taken from it.

Post edited at 21:16

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...